The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Transient Designer...Woah. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

How does the transient designer sound when just two channels are inserted across a drum buss, as opposed to on individual drums?
Old 1st September 2007
Bump.

I use software envelope shapers at mixing stage a lot, mostly because I have never recorded live drums. But I do plan to in the near future, so I'm considering getting a TD4, mostly for toms but maybe kick and snare and overheads too, so would one unit be enough? And how are you guys getting on using software envelope shapers during tracking? [Edit: i.e latency, stability etc. Do you send the unprocessed feed back to the drummer so he gets no latency in his monitor mix?]. Because if possible, I'd probably prefer to do it this way and make final changes in the mixing stage rather than commit to one setting and live with it forever.

Also not mentioned so far is Ohmforce Predatohm - has a useful envelope shaper as well as other features for percussive sounds.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I tend to use 80% overheads on my drums. What happens to cymbal sounds on overheads when using this device?
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
I tend to use 80% overheads on my drums. What happens to cymbal sounds on overheads when using this device?
As long as the level is high enough to trigger it, the TD will keep on cycling through the envelope you set, never closing completely, and always completing the cycle before triggering again.
The TD is better at shaping individual occurences of direct signals.

You CAN make this work for you, for instance by setting it to coincide with the song's tempo.
Or to give an expander-like feel, by using it in parallel. Kinda like parallel compression, but the other way 'round.

But more likely, it'll just sound weird.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search