The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Transient Designer...Woah. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I rcently had the opportunity of using a TD4 live.
Really cool box,too
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll second the Duende's Drumstrip plugin. It is way more versatile than the TD, and with judicious use it can transform boring and lifeless drum tracks into exciting drum tracks. I only have a couple more hours left on the demo!
Old 28th August 2007
cool. I have a 2 channel version and I wish I had gotten the TD4.

True enough, it can make your room sound larger. It can also make the room sound drier, and the drums tighter, easy, in the tweak of a dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Seriously,

Not Keanu woah
Not Joey woah
Like holy crap w/ 4-wheel drive woah.

This 4-channel box has totally re-defined my entire 12'x14' studio. I've suddenly raised the size of my playing room like 20 feet.

I put the TD4 in my patchbay config even though I didn't have one yet. Now I wonder why I waited so long to go without such joy.

Any small studio recording without one is behind. I'm serious, this thing is the coolest thing since sliced bread. It'll blow your mind.
Old 28th August 2007
The samples from the envelope shaper are good, but I have to tell you guys to listen to the sample on the Point plugin from Airwindows...

Link for their Store

Link to download some of the samples

there are two samples from the Point plugin.

no, I don't work for Airwindows, I'm just a happy customer!
Old 28th August 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

SPL Transient Designer 2 and 4 Differences

Transient Designer 4 (XLR in- and outputs)
Instrumentation amplifier,
electronically balanced
(differential), transformerless

Nominal input level +6 dB
Input impedance =22 kOhm
Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted) -96 dBu

Transient Designer 2 (2 jack in- and outputs)
Instrumentation amplifier, unbalanced

Input impedance = 100 kOhm
Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted) -97 dBu

Shared Specs:

Output impedance < 600 Ohm
Max. input level +24 dBu
Max. output level +22.4 dBu
Minimum load 600 Ohm
Frequency response (100kHz= -3dB) 20 Hz-100 kHz
Total harmonic distortion 0.01% @ 1 kHz
Signal-to-noise ratio (CCIR 468-3) -89 dBu

In addition, there are sample mp3's on the SPL website showing what it does...

http://www.soundperformancelab.com/u.../in_short.html
Old 28th August 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

Hey War

War,

You guys carry SPL's official VSTi plug of Transient Designer...

If you could, differences between Hard/Software versions? Will it run in anything besides Pulsar?

Last edited by JB3; 28th August 2007 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Got the wrong Guy...Sorry
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've not used Transient Designer but have used Envelope Shaper in Cubase 4 and have had some great results with it.

It's saved poor drum kits on a couple of occassions.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Cubase 4 has a stock plug-in in it called Envelope Shaper. This plug-in does everthing transient designer does... and then some. I was blown away! Every person I have showed it to that uses a transient designer has done a double take. In many cases we even liked it better, and always liked it at least equally!

No bs here... seriously.

Steve,

That's quite an endorsement. How stable is Cubase 4? Is it running as well as SX3 does? I really want to take the plunge, but I have little tolerance these days for computer BS.

Brad
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Steve,

That's quite an endorsement. How stable is Cubase 4? Is it running as well as SX3 does? I really want to take the plunge, but I have little tolerance these days for computer BS.

Brad
On an Intel Mac it runs stabler than SX3 and eats up less performance (SX3 needs to "emulate" with Rosetta).
I still use SX3 for creative stuff (loops, sound design) and Cubase4 as my workhorse DAW.
Only gripe: a lot of the old VST plugins don't work anymore under 4 (unless you run it in Rosetta mode, but then it's bye-bye performance).
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

On the TD4 - is that to be used pre-compressor, post-comp or instead of a compressor all together?

cww2
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cww2 View Post
On the TD4 - is that to be used pre-compressor, post-comp or instead of a compressor all together?

cww2
Well, it doesn't compress as much as it shortens and expands signal flow. It could then be taken from that form and compressed down. My guess would be to use it pre-compression.

It's odd because it's almost a substitution for reverb in a way, but acts like a natural source.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Steve,

Brad
Very, very stable for me. I have actually been working a lot in it since it has some things that Nuendo 3 does not have (like the envelope shaper, better stock eq's, an amazing library of presets, etc..,).

I have had no real issues. I do know that strangely the patches on the update site (ftp.steinberg.net) don't seem to be cumulative. So, whatever version you instal, instal all the patches in order, and the latest version is rock solid.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Nuendo 4 and Cubase 4.1 will be out soon, and though I can't say specifically... there are some more new features that are reall cool too.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Cubase 4 on Intel MacPro is the most stable DAW I've ever owned. I've done 3 albums this year and a dozen weekend demos without 1 single crash!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info guys. Are you on a Mac too Steve? I'm a PC guy. Maybe I should just wait for 4.1 and then upgrade from SX3. It definitely seems packed with a ton of useful features I would love to have.

Brad
Old 29th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
War,

You guys carry SPL's official VSTi plug of Transient Designer...

If you could, differences between Hard/Software versions? Will it run in anything besides Pulsar?
It only runs on the Creamware SCOPE system which I do not use and we do not run on our demo PC in the showroom. Sorry, but I am not a source for comparison info on this as I have not used the plug...!

War
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers View Post
cool. I have a 2 channel version and I wish I had gotten the TD4.
Really...What about the 2 channel did you not like or is different to the 4 channel? Any difference to the sound or just the option of more things though it?

Jun
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Cubase 4 has a stock plug-in in it called Envelope Shaper. This plug-in does everthing transient designer does... and then some. I was blown away! Every person I have showed it to that uses a transient designer has done a double take. In many cases we even liked it better, and always liked it at least equally!

No bs here... seriously.
damn im gonna try that one now that i know about it
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru
I haven't used the transient designer, but sounds like the Sony Oxford Transient Modulator. That thing is a freakin magic trick! It lets you take a room mic and turn the kick and snare up or down.
Old 29th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by junya-eskimo View Post
Really...What about the 2 channel did you not like or is different to the 4 channel? Any difference to the sound or just the option of more things though it?

Jun
hello! just the number of channels, silly.

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers View Post
hello! just the number of channels, silly.

It's also unbalanced.

I'd really dig a gain station size Transient Tesigner. Then I could be like Lex Luthor and like...break stuff.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Is that thing similar to 'enveloper' in Logic?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cww2 View Post

yes.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
what the hell does that mean? crosstalk on the hard disk?!?!
I think you'll find what they're talking about is the unwanted spill of other drums and cymbals into the tom mics and of course the constant drone of ringing toms.

I guess TD by being able to reduce sustain in sounds also reduces this extraneous spill.

I prefer to record all this **** and have the option of carefully soft gating it or removing it all together, later on.

Haven't tried the TD yet but heard great things. I am blessed with a Pearl Masters Custom kit (and it helps that I'm a drummer as well - albeit a pretty crap one). One things for sure a good kit in a good room with good mics is a much better way to start.

Hope this helps

Sean - Ten21
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I recently sold my TD4 after using it religiously for years.

It became a default drum treatment to me and it took me some time to realize what bothered me 'coz it did cool stuff, right ?

What bothered me (without really knowing it first) is that beeing a dynamic processor WITHOUT any reference to a threshold point makes it actually very undynamic in its behaviour.

The human ear, aswell as analog tape and many compressors have that "the harder you hit the more you run into the wall"-behaviour. The TD is static in that it does the exact same thing regardless how soft or hard ie the drums are hitting. The process is not relative or does react to the natural dynamics of the music going on.

So my drum tracks got to where they fit my taste when I quit using it. Less artificial.

Still it's a good problem solver or ambience maker when the need calls for it but it wasn't worth keeping it for those occasions.

But to quote Fletcher, YMMV.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

Is the TD and the Duende Drumstrip doing the same thing? The drumstrip can't change the sustain as I understand from the specs..?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
The TD is static in that it does the exact same thing regardless how soft or hard ie the drums are hitting. The process is not relative or does react to the natural dynamics of the music going on.
I think the beauty of the box is that it does the same thing regardless of how soft or hard the drums are hitting. If I turn up the attack, I get more attack across the board. I would argue though that the process is indeed relative and it does react to the natural dynamics...it's tracking them accurately in order to give you that constant more attack, less sustain, or whatever you dial up. But I know what you are saying.

I'd rather use Transient Designer on my drums than compressors. I like to preserve the dynamics of the playing, while shaping the attack and sustain characteristics of the sounds. The TD allows me to do this effortlessly. A compressor only sometimes allows me to do this, depending on where the threshold is set.

Brad
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile-High View Post
Is the TD and the Duende Drumstrip doing the same thing? The drumstrip can't change the sustain as I understand from the specs..?
The more I look at it, the more I believe that Drumstrip can do everything that the TD4 can, with the luxury of several other features thrown in.

I'm not sure I 100% understand what you are asking in terms of adjusting the sustain. The SPL TD4 appears to be able to amplify the tail of a sample, giving the effect of making the sustain sound longer.

The Drumstrip plug actually can do this, but it is done with the LMC portion. You can adjust that (strange, but very cool) compressor to accentuate the sustain of any given drum/track. In effect, I think it is very similar, although the sound may be colored differently given the character of the LMC from SSL.

All in all, after reading A LOT, trying demos of whatever I could (DigitalFishPhones, Sony Oxford...I even went to my buddies house who has Cubase on his laptop last night with some wav files on my flash drive.

Long story short, everything I demoed was completely trounced by Drumstrip, IMO...only my opinion! I wish I could have tried the Creamware version and the hardware, but I did read a lot about them. Truth is, I really don't actually know how they would sound in comparison...I can only guess.

My guess is, the Duende probably holds up well next to the SPL. Plus, with the extra features of the Drumstrip plug, and the ability to run it 16 times (stereo) or 32 times (mono) without any CPU hit...it becomes a pretty attractive tool. I still feel like SSL charges too much for it ($400), but what it does for drums gives me the same 'WHOA!' reaction that the OP has towards the TD4.

I ended up caving in and purchasing it at 2:30am today after almost running my demo out on a recently recorded drum session (9 tracks/mics). I used 4 instances of Drumstrip

1. Kick bus (mono) (I use 2 kick mics)
2. Tom bus (stereo)
3. Snare track (mono) (close mic'd and lightly gated on the way in with a Keepex II)
4. OH Bus (stereo)

between the gates, transient shaper, "EQ" (though not 'traditional' EQ) and LMC, it does absolutely AMAZING things for drums, IMO.

At the end of the day, it is definitely going to add to my mixes!
Old 29th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
The SPL is a great unit. I got rid of mine after getting the Sony Transient Modulator plugin. Does everything the SPL does and more. thumbsup
Old 30th August 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
The samples from the envelope shaper are good, but I have to tell you guys to listen to the sample on the Point plugin from Airwindows...

Link for their Store

Link to download some of the samples

there are two samples from the Point plugin.

no, I don't work for Airwindows, I'm just a happy customer!
Hee! I forgot I did that one. I can think of recent mixes where I should have remembered I had it. How beautifully crude but direct. I seem to remember it's a pain to tune, but it does get a sound. My entry for crudest and most primitive but probably cheapest (AU) transient designer
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom View Post
Is that thing similar to 'enveloper' in Logic?
i believe so - funny, i usually don't use many plug ins, but that one saved an overcompressed snare recording just this week.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search