The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LDC for Drum OH's that are less than $800? Dynamic Microphones
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

LDC for Drum OH's that are less than $800?

I want to mic up a drum set and I am going for a less is more approach. I might employ some of the techniques of Glyn Johns or use OH's and a kick mic. What I am not going after is the current rock sound. I am looking more Charlie Watts, and John Bonham. So for those of you that dig that sound and record that sound can you recommend some LDC mics that won't have me saving money for two years. I have looked at the AT 4047, the AT 4050, and the ATM450. If you are into the sounds I mentioned and have had success with a LDC I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

btw, at this point I am leaning towards the 4047.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post
btw, at this point I am leaning towards the 4047.
Good choice dude. I quite agree !

They are a little bit over the 800$ budget and at that point you should consider also a used pair of 414's ( ULS version ). Definitely a step over the 4047's
Old 28th August 2007
And the ADK TL's which are a step above the AKG 414 BULS, IME.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

+1 on the 4050's. Large and Meaty.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have listened to many sites and I know that it isn't like listening in real world but...

The 4047 samples seem consistently less big in the very bottom, while having more seperation in the low mids, the highs are there but not quite as resonant as the 4050 and 4060.

I have a 4060 and I really like it but it does have a "fizz" at 10K that I don't hear in the 4047.

I really want to try one of the tele mic's but that would eat my whole budget as I am also buying an API 3124+ to compliment my Great River MP2NV.

The only mics I have now are:

AT4060
SM7B
57's
Beta 58's
SM81's

So I think a nice pair of utility LDC's would be a nice add. If I got the 4047's then I could add an RE20 and a couple of ATM450's as well. I found the 450's while doing searches regarding the 4050 and 4047. They are too cheap to pass up for a pair.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a friend who uses a pair of ADK TCs as drum overheads, and they sound really incredible. They are $5-600usd each IIRC.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I agree on the 4047's as OH's. I love how they can slightly cut the edge off of cymbals in a pleasing way.

I'm now using ribbons though so....heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search