The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outboard vs Plug Ins- The Great Debate Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

I don't see why everyone has such a huge debate about this subject. Why not use both? The more tools the better. Each situation is different, and sometimes the analog outboard stuff will work better and sound better etc, and sometimes plug-ins may be a better way to go. Either way what gets the job done in the end is all that matters. One day maybe plug ins will rule and people will be shrugging off outboard stuff, but all in all it doesn't matter as long as you can say at the end of the day damn that sounds awesome.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I thought plugins were cool, then I hated them , then I liked them, then I hated them Then I liked them, now I just use both, mainly software eq's and hardware comps. Software eq's are miles ahead of software compression in terms of usefulness and musicality.

Nebula is the only plug to me which sounds close to great for software compression at the moment.

Processing power is the main culprit holding back great plugins, the future should be brighter.

Maybe the new solid state hard disks will make big difference if all the spare space on a disk could allocated as ram, especially with octocore processing? Would this even be possible?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Yup. $19.99. Any cheaper than that and you're on your own :D

...and people wonder why I don't branch out to support every format and platform known to musician...
Ha ha, I hear ya, Chris! Sorry, it was late and I needed to rant about my endless plug in money output. It's a hard A/D to admit. My analog cash turning digital over and over, gives me the jitters ;-)

I do love good plugs :-)
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binturong View Post
I don't see why everyone has such a huge debate about this subject.
Mostly ignorance, purchase defence and incongruous entrenched beliefs
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

So continuing on with the "purchase defence" idea, does anyone here believe that ONE of the reasons for hardware superiority is the "it costs more, so it must be better" approach?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
So continuing on with the "purchase defence" idea, does anyone here believe that ONE of the reasons for hardware superiority is the "it costs more, so it must be better" approach?
no....... i just use my ears.

when it sounds better, it is better (Distressors vs any compressor plugin I've ever used, for example)

heh
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yup, I'd say that's a belief held by many
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
A new plug in can be a nice moral booster,

Yeah I 've got that one, actually I've got the bundle.... the 'Amoral Booster' is just bitch*n on the snare, its sic!

Show me a hardware reverb for £300 that can do what Altiverb 6 can. thumbsup
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Turning a knob an a good outboard eq unit and insantly hearing the effect is very nice thing. My main complaint about plug ins is the time it takes to get them up and running and having to use a mouse to navigate around a bunch of menus. I'll lose my creative thought in the meantime.

J. Mike Perkins
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
yup, I'd say that's a belief held by many
just curious - why do you think that?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
just curious - why do you think that?
Because I see endless streams of people with project studios spunking money on expensive gear for no other reason
I read posts on forums like here by people obviously doing the same

other than that, it's just a hunch
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
...There are plug ins that have left us (good or not- Lexiverb, the original bombfactory LA2a left us I believe, no?, purepitch, some others that I had used on mixes YEARS ago). ...
Hey, as far as I know, PurePitch still works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
That H3000 from 20 years ago still lights up and makes some nice sounds. No upgrades necessary (unless you want to).
You're lucky - I powered mine up a few months a go and it sort-of lit up, coughed and went back to sleep. Now i've got some hours of troubleshooting ahead of me, or it's a trip back to the repair shop (and we designed the damn thing!). No way my time or the repair bill will be less than the $49 we charge for a plug-in update
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because I see endless streams of people with project studios spunking money on expensive gear for no other reason
I read posts on forums like here by people obviously doing the same
Maybe - just maybe.... a good quality piece of hardware (such as a Distressor) that you can carefully overdub thru, and get it's beautiful sonic qualities printed on all your overdubs is a MUCH better investment, both sonically and for the future - than a big bundle of Waves plugs?

especially when some of the stock DAW plugs are somewhat ok.... especially when not used for compression ('cause you already did it with your Distressor!!!)

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't argue with that rationale

but that has nothing to do with folks just buying piles of gear because they assume it will be better due to the price
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't argue with that rationale

but that has nothing to do with folks just buying piles of gear because they assume it will be better due to the price
agreed.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Nebula is the only plug to me which sounds close to great for software compression at the moment.
What presets do you like the most?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. There's a shootout around here comparing a hardware La2a to the Uad version. The 30% of folks who liked the software version better in a blind test assumed it was the hardware.... because if they liked the sound better in isolation, well, then it must be the more expensive one!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search