The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Brick + AKG 414 Condenser Microphones
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Brick + AKG 414

Any opinions on this for male vocals. These 414's kind of accentuate the high end. I was hoping The Brick would add some weight to the vocals. I know the brick is a relatively cheap pre to use with a mic like the 414 (maybe). Any opinions on this... anyone heard this combo?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Which 414 do you have?

The transformerless 414s are pretty bright mics... I would not classify the 414 BULS, transformer version as overly bright though. Compare it to, say, a Rode NTK, or the sloshy top on a new U87ai, or even the presence spike on an sm57.

Either that, or there's something wrong with my pair of 414 buls, and every other set I've tried! The transformerless version however, definitely has a n 'upward tilt'. It's pleasant on some voices, and less pleasant on others. No pre in the world will change that fact.

If you want weight, the UA 610 and the Tube-Tech MP definitely have it in droves, albeit at a higher price point.

In my project studio the 414buls+UA610 combo can even sound a bit thick, and even 'pillowy' on some singers, especially in cardiod, while at outside studios an API51c and an 414 TLII is often a great starting point for getting acoustic guitars with presence, lift, and size.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have an AKG C414 BXLS and The Brick. I like them together well enough for male vocals. I don't think you would dislike it.

But I prefer my vintage U87 through my Pacifica . . .
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've got an C 414 EB... probably 20 years old.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search