The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heil PR30 or PR40 for rack toms? Dynamic Microphones
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Heil PR30 or PR40 for rack toms?

I just bought a Heil PR40 the other day and I'm already hooked!. I've tried it on the back of guitar cabs, kick (as a second to my D112) and on the floor tom. It has truly kicked a$$ on all 3 applications. Even the quick vocal tests I did sound VERY promising. Sounds like it would definitely also work very well for certain broadcast and VO voices.

I tried it on my high rack tom and it sounded pretty good as well (SMOkED the sm57 that I was using before.)

I demo'd a PR30 in a store and liked it (at least for the limited capacity in which I was able to test it). In fact, I liked it and the PR40 better than the MD421. I also like the mounting setup and flexibility WAY more than the 421.

I want to hear from anyone who owns (or has owned) both a PR30 and a PR40. I'd like to know which 1 you feel would work better on rack toms. I plan on buying 2 of whichever works better.

All 3 of my local retailers do not take mics back once they are out the door. Stupid policy, but it is what it is. I need to have them before 5pm Tuesday (tomorrow, 8-27-07), so Internet is out of the question...don't feel like paying full retail or getting raped by ON shipping. I have 3 places in town that carry them, so I can get them all locally and for less than retail.

Anyhow...any one have an opinion on this one?

PS - I know the CAD M179 is supposed to be outstanding. I do not doubt it a bit,,,but I could not find any locally and I am in a BIG hurry. The band comes in tonight and we will be getting started with drums tomorrow.

PS - I have 2 Shure SM7Bs set up on my rack toms right now that actually sound pretty good. Once again, way better than the SM57s! To be honest, the PR40 was on a tiny bit better!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think the PR30 sounds better on toms, snare, and overdriven electric guitar. The PR40 kicks major ass on bass cab, kick drum, acoustic guitar (try it!) and clean electric guitar.

Yeah I think the PR30 and PR40 do sound better than the MD421. But I really do think that the M179 stomps them all for so many reasons. You're really missing out by passing up the M179's. The PR30's will do fine though.

Brad
Old 28th August 2007

Just go to Guitar center and get the PR30 - they work great on toms and should only run about $250 each....

I use the M179 on things like bass and HH.

-tINY

Old 28th August 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

PR30 and 40 sound great! I'd recommend the PR30 on toms, maybe the 40 on floor tom. I've found the PR30 to be a really versatile beast.

Yours new strong magnetically,

jhg
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post
PR30 and 40 sound great! I'd recommend the PR30 on toms, maybe the 40 on floor tom. I've found the PR30 to be a really versatile beast.

Yours new strong magnetically,

jhg
Same here. 40 on floor and 30's on racks.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks to all! Will be picking up my two, new PR30s on This AM (I missed my goal by 18 hours! )

Oh well...the important thing is that the client is running behind on their tracking...so I'm covered!!! heh

(actually, it would have been fine either way...I really actually do njot mind the SM7Bs on the toms. They sound and perform a lot better than you'd think. I have all of my drums going into VP Transamp Pres which perform beautifully and sound amazingly good on most things..but PARTICULARLY good on drums...I'm glad I have 8 of them!)

Anyhow, I just wanted to state here, for historical purposes (if anyone does a search) that the Shure SM7B mic works very well as a tom mic, in a pinch...and as was recommended by others here in another thread, they sound PERFECT as a hi hat mic (if your drummer is doing intricate hi hat work and you're inclined to mic the hi hat...which is not very often in my studio).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search