The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Mixing with your mind" - YOUR thoughts? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Love, love love the book.

Stav is a nice guy taboot.

Get it if you don't have it..

that book along with the 3 eargle books

(Sound Recording, Handbook of Recording Engineering, The microphone book)

should be required...
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Whatever you might think, every single person who mixes comes to the board/computer with their own agenda, on a sonic level. One person's meat, is another's murder as much with sound as it it with the music itself.

Ok, so there is a pretty well established set of parameters that we all have to work within and use as a base. However, once you have that in your locker , everything else is, pretty much, a case of the, flavour you prefer.

That goes for how you view mixing as well. The one thing experience teaches you in this filed is simple. What one person gives you as golden rule, will be someone else's total nightmare scenario. The truth is, they are often, both right and both wrong, depending on your personal preferences...
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Reading literature is good. You can learn how other people think and so on. You usually get something out of it at least. Just don't assume that everything in books are correct or the "right way" for you. Always question!
If you get into a book and it doesn't spark any interest, fine. But it's never a waist of time.

Mortimer Adler: If you never ask yourself any questions about the meaning of a passage, you cannot expect the book to give you any insight you do not already possess.

Old 18th June 2009
Gear Maniac

just ordered my copy finally

i mean, jeez, it's kinda worth it just for the title alone!
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

To the people that have read the section on the hardness factor of a mic. I seem to get it right most of the time but still struggle some with it. What exactly do you guys listen for?
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

I got much from Mike's book. Probably time for a re read as there is more practical information in it than it is possible to instantly use.

I particularly like the piano mic'ing technique.
This really opened up a new vista for me and one that is on par to a discovery as it applies across the boards and gives further insight to his other chapters in the book as well.

I agree that the book is best for someone already versed and practical in the basics of recording and mixing.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Addict

Anyone want to sell a used copy?

Please PM me
Old 13th June 2018
jrl
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
Anyone want to sell a used copy?

Please PM me
The lack of used copies on the market speaks highly of the book, it seems. I plan to buy it sometime in the near future too. Wish it wasn't quite so pricey though.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search