The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has gearslutz changed your life? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd November 2007

It certainly has. Big time. hehhehheh
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
It changed mine, i met a bunch of cool people and i'm never bored anymore..

yeah im less bored at work hehe.
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Nut

its made me really ****in broke...
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Maniac

It made me transfer money out of my savings...

That was for rent, of course... My check was for gear... Yes.. That's how it was...
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

I am definitely less productive...
My bank account has shrunk considerably...
I don't see sunlight anymore...
Some people are beginning to call me '"the caveman"...
I still don't know if the TLM 103 or the 737 are any good...

but overall, I love it...
Old 2nd November 2007
I like it -- at its best it's a good resource, a lot of people who will reach out to help, if they can. At times there are some very knowledgeable people who pass through.

I've been discussing recording online since the late 80s (at Compuserve and in the BB scene and, of course, on the WWW in the 90s). I remember a period in the early or mid 90s running into Tony Visconti online. He was talking about producing, helping folks out. He was very friendly and helpful and I think we even exchanged a few emails or pms. That kind of set the tone.

Certainly participating in the online world has changed my life.

I'd dreamed in the 80s of a time when we'd be able to distribute our music over wire (or rather fiber optic cable -- that was my conception of how it would have to happen -- I was pretty amazed when they managed to milk DSL out of the POTS). I don't think I thought it would take so long (but then I thought we'd have flying cars by 2001, too, for crying out loud -- figuratively speaking, anyhow).

But it was certainly a life changing experience putting my first music up. Even in 1995 when I put up my first 17 second, 8 bit mono 8K clip that took a couple minutes to DL over modem -- it felt epochal...

And online discussions of technology and gear have undoubtedly been helpful -- despite the plethora of ill-founded, oft-uninformed opinion and rumor passing as fact. Although I worry for the young engineers coming up who don't have a good foundation or understanding of the complex technologies that they're jumping into the middle of. There's clearly a sea of misinformation out there and more bad info flowing into it every day. But -- you know -- the remedy for bad speech is more good speech... It's a dialectic which, when pursued, will lead us -- in fits and starts, to be sure, closer to an accurate representation of reality.

Anyhow... a good joint, glad it's here. Lots of good folks.

PS... While it's not part of GS, lately I've participated a fair amount in an online songwriting forum. Although I used to write 2 or 3 songs a month on average -- in recent years that had slowed to several songs a year. I don't like to put pressure on my quirky, rebellious creative side, but I was despairing. Participating in that songwriting form, listening to other folks' works in progress, critiquing, and talking about songwriting and creativity seems to have jogged me back into a semblance of productivity. And that is golden...
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't say GS has changed my life. More like taken it over... Yeah. that's it.

I wonder if this is how crack cocaine 'changes' peoples' lives?

It's also taught me many useful things. Mostly about how to do bank transfer's, certified checks, international money orders, and the ins and outs of brokerage fees and shipping charges...

I may have even learned a thing or two about recording. Not so sure about that.

But mostly, it's given me a favorite website with the word 'slutz' in the title that I can actually TELL people about.

thumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search