The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best large condensor for Drums FOK below $500 (new or used)??? Condenser Microphones
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Best large condensor for Drums FOK below $500 (new or used)???

What do you guys say is the best large condensor mic for Drums FOK (about 5 feet in front of the kit) around or below $500 (used or new; I can get an AKG C414B-ULS on ebay for $500 or so)???
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
What do you guys say is the best large condensor mic for Drums FOK (about 5 feet in front of the kit) around or below $500 (used or new; I can get an AKG C414B-ULS on ebay for $500 or so)???
As a room mic?

GT57 or KSM44 are both good options.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Any of the Rode LDC's

I have used the NT2 and the Valve Classic...on Kick.

Actually the Valve Classic is the best room mic IMO...

better than any Neumans I've tried...It has a real sound with heaps of punch and perfect Cymbals...I had it about 6' in front of the kick and at about 10 to 11 o'clock towards the Toms side and about 2' of the ground.....

Once During a tracking session I realised that 95% of the drum mix was the Classic as a room I hadn't noticed how low i had all the other mics and some completely down....

and I swear it sounded like the Kick, OH's Snare mic's mixed perfectly.....

Ididn't like the AKg 414 much ...that's just me... it sounded really compressed compared to the Classic. The Neuman's just sizzeld in the top end too much....
Old 27th August 2007

if you have a good room - buy a Kel HM1 to try. They sound great for that sort of micing, but you need a good sounding room as they are a wide cardioid pattern.

You can use the money you save to buy another mic like a PR30.....

-tINY

Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

AT4047 is an option. Have you thought about a ribbon? I know a Royer is a little (okay, a lot) out of your price range, but how about a Cascade Fathead? $300 for a pair, or upgrade the electronics on a single.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
AT4047 is an option. Have you thought about a ribbon? I know a Royer is a little (okay, a lot) out of your price range, but how about a Cascade Fathead? $300 for a pair, or upgrade the electronics on a single.
Actually I own a royer R121. To me it is too raw for the sound I am going for and the less than perfect room I am in. I think a large condensor is exactly what I want.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

What kind of sound are you going for?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurubuzz View Post
Any of the Rode LDC's

I have used the NT2 and the Valve Classic...on Kick.

Actually the Valve Classic is the best room mic IMO...

better than any Neumans I've tried...It has a real sound with heaps of punch and perfect Cymbals...I had it about 6' in front of the kick and at about 10 to 11 o'clock towards the Toms side and about 2' of the ground.....

Once During a tracking session I realised that 95% of the drum mix was the Classic as a room I hadn't noticed how low i had all the other mics and some completely down....

and I swear it sounded like the Kick, OH's Snare mic's mixed perfectly.....

Ididn't like the AKg 414 much ...that's just me... it sounded really compressed compared to the Classic. The Neuman's just sizzeld in the top end too much....
Well the Valve classic sounded really interesting until I saw its $2,000. I will definitely put down the NT2 as an option though.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
What kind of sound are you going for?
Basically I have done a lot of recording with 8 quality mics on the kit and yet some of my favorite reocrdings are with 1 AKG C3000B about 6 feet away pointed at the kit. So I guess I am looking for something like the AKG C3000B but better (cleaner, clearer, etc...)
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I was gonna say ribbon (Crowley and Tripp Naked Eye) before I saw your comment. It's the cliche answer, but what about dealing with the room acoustics? I finally dug in and treated mine (with removable treatments, so it doesn't have to look like "music room" all the time) and all of the sudden, pretty much all my mics made good FOK/room mics.

sometimes in other spaces that aren't well treated, I'll just get some chairs and stack cushions from the place in them, basically build little rolling absorbant traps I can place around mics that I want to control roomsound into. Works well for tightening things up. If the room doesn't sound good I'm not sure I'd use a room mic - instead may try something else like an omni or fig-8 placed in close to the kick, between the k/s, over the drummer's shoulder, or the always-popular crotch-mic... mics that are close enough in to get more shell than room, and wide enough pattern to get lots of the kit. Then you can compress 'em and just sneak them up in the mix high enough to get a little crunch and resonance. But ultimately, you gotta solve the room problem before you deal with room mics, IMO.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I remember the AKG C4000 to be pretty nice, in the same vein as the 3000 but bigger, cleaner, etc. It's also multipattern, so that gives you some options as well. I'm sure you can find one used for maybe $450. The 414 is cool too, but pretty bright, might pick up too much hat.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
I was gonna say ribbon (Crowley and Tripp Naked Eye) before I saw your comment. It's the cliche answer, but what about dealing with the room acoustics? I finally dug in and treated mine (with removable treatments, so it doesn't have to look like "music room" all the time) and all of the sudden, pretty much all my mics made good FOK/room mics.

sometimes in other spaces that aren't well treated, I'll just get some chairs and stack cushions from the place in them, basically build little rolling absorbant traps I can place around mics that I want to control roomsound into. Works well for tightening things up. If the room doesn't sound good I'm not sure I'd use a room mic - instead may try something else like an omni or fig-8 placed in close to the kick, between the k/s, over the drummer's shoulder, or the always-popular crotch-mic... mics that are close enough in to get more shell than room, and wide enough pattern to get lots of the kit. Then you can compress 'em and just sneak them up in the mix high enough to get a little crunch and resonance. But ultimately, you gotta solve the room problem before you deal with room mics, IMO.
I already bought and placed over $1000 worth of auralex stuff including diffusors and foam wedges all over the room covering about 1/3 of the walls and over the drums.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

er, just saw your other thread on this and that you did treat the place.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Yea basically so far I am looking at these options:

Rode NT2A $400
AKG C4000 $400
Shure KSM27 $300
Shure KSM32 $550
AKG C414 B-ULS $550 (used)
Audio Technica AT4047 $550

Avensons STO-2 $550 for stereo pair (omni but still worth considering)
Old 27th August 2007
One with big hooves

One of my all-time favorite outside kick mics is a 414B/ULS in figure 8. Nice thump, doesn't make the snare harsh & grabs a good bit of room tone, which is good if you're in a good room. Beyond that, under $500... hmmm... AT4047 is pretty solid too. Don't overlook an RE20 either... depends on what you want to hear I guess.
Old 28th August 2007

That 3000 is pretty bright. I'd be looking at the Rode.

Multi-pattern is a good thing too.

-tINY

Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like the At 4047.
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

AT 4050!

this is one of the only applications i use this mic for.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm gonna be getting the 4047. It's a bit darker (so i hear). They also say it's a copy of the fet47, which you see in front of kicks all the time.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

The cheap oktava LDC (The one every one mods) is a great FOK mic. Strictly in a shootout for FOK this mic would easily hold it's own against some of the greats. I was actually just listening to a drums I recorded with the Oktava as FOK-it's pretty killer. Ive tried royers as FOK- it's not for me. I've often used m149's, u87's, and u89's as FOK mics, and in this respect the Oktava holds up.

I'd love to seriously hear an FOK blind shootout. I'd also love to get my hands on a 4047 for FOK.

...IMO the FOK mic, It's placement, and it's positioning is second only to lead vocals in terms of importance/priority to get right and not rush through setting it up. M149's, u87's, u89's, and OKtava's will all find themselves in front of the kick at different points in the same session depending on what is needed for the song. To me FOK is definitive to the feel and ambience of the song.

I also tend to keep the mics between 1' to 4' away. Other's seem to like 6' to 8' .

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search