The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAV BG-8 vs. True Systems Precision 8 Audio Interfaces
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

DAV BG-8 vs. True Systems Precision 8

I'm consolidating my rig to a rackmounted PC, MOTU HD192 (black lion modded) and I want to get a few boxes of great preamps. The idea is for it to be a highly mobile rig since I cant record drums at home anymore. I've heard really great things about the DAV BG series pres, and also some good about the True Systems Precision 8. I plan on getting an API 3124 as well so I'd like something that will compliment it.

Please advise me.

Bill
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

thank you much for the review...

just got a quote on the BG-8 from DAV. Looks like it will run me $2240 without a power cable.. the Precision 8 is $2600. I've heard more positive about the BG amps then the precision 8. Somebody sway me here!

Bill
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I also cannot comment on the dav but the precision 8 is a seriously nice preamp. The build quality on the True is fantastic(although I did have a channel drop but it was a minor thing). The sound of the true is detailed and prestine without being too sterile sounding. It's something that easily works on every source but won't really flatter any particular source. It's name is a good indicator of how it sounds, very true. I'd honestly say with either pre would be in good shape and I have a feeling they'd be somewhat similar sounding.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Having used the True Precision 8 for the last few years (and loved it) and having just aquired a DAV BG-8, I have been trying to find the time to do a comparison of the two. Unfortunately, it has been a busy summer renovating the building that I work in and I have not had the opportunity to AB them. I will try to get to it this week and post some samples of piano and whatever other instruments I can get recorded so that we may all hear the differences.

Steve
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalolive View Post
Having used the True Precision 8 for the last few years (and loved it) and having just aquired a DAV BG-8, I have been trying to find the time to do a comparison of the two. Unfortunately, it has been a busy summer renovating the building that I work in and I have not had the opportunity to AB them. I will try to get to it this week and post some samples of piano and whatever other instruments I can get recorded so that we may all hear the differences.

Steve
That would be amazing! Do you have any opinions about them you can post just from having used both?
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Sorry to report that I haven't used the DAV yet.

But, if you can't get a good sound with the Precision 8,

Then we should all just cry for you right now, and erect little photaglios of you in memorium around the city lit by the candles kindly put down by others who realized you could never escape just being...yourself.

No, it's not THAT GOOD...but damn it, if you can't make a good record only using those pres, then...all hope is lost.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsawlogic View Post
Sorry to report that I haven't used the DAV yet.

But, if you can't get a good sound with the Precision 8,

Then we should all just cry for you right now, and erect little photaglios of you in memorium around the city lit by the candles kindly put down by others who realized you could never escape just being...yourself.

No, it's not THAT GOOD...but damn it, if you can't make a good record only using those pres, then...all hope is lost.
that's the truth!! i'm with you!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

OK, I love my True. I always have and I always will. But finally today I was able to AB it with my new DAV BG-8. I used a pair of Schoeps CMC-64s going into a splitter and then into the True and DAV simultaneously. Outputs went into the analog inputs of a MOTU 828mkII and into Digital Performer at 24/96.

I recorded some piano and some French horn. This is what I heard. The differences were fairly subtle but the DAV just had more openess, more life and more stereo imaging than the True. I will post audio files this weekend.

I also ran an output from the splitters into the mic pres on the 828. Wow! I can't believe I used to record through them for years until I saved up for the True.

Steve
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

everyone seems to say the same thing about the DAVs.. that they have a "big" sound. And in an 8 channel front end, I can't think of an adjective I'd get more excited about than that! I will be buying one soon... Can't wait to hear the clips..

Bill
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

OK,
Here's some piano through the two preamps. You tell me.

Steve
Attached Files

Piano A.mp3 (1.23 MB, 4186 views)

Piano B.mp3 (1.20 MB, 3812 views)

Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

My thoughts...

A - True
B - DAV

The B sample has a slightly "thicker/warmer" sound to me when the piano's low notes are played softly (especially near the end of the sample).

They both sound pretty close on this particular application (piano). I own a Precision 8 and a Precision 2 Analog, and was considering adding a DAV to the rack.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Hard for me to tell. A seemed more pleasing to the ears to me, B however did seem a little more wide. Both sounded great.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

After too many beers I think B is DAV
Old 2nd September 2007
B is the DAV!
I think the difference is a little more than subtle though. B sounds much more open and silky. The sound in file A is nice too though. It will probably stand out better in a busy mid-range heavy mix.
Old 2nd June 2010
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but...

Quote:
I used a pair of Schoeps CMC-64s going into a splitter and then into the True and DAV simultaneously.
I am very much interested in getting one of these boxes, and this is one of the few threads where I have an opportunity to hear them side-by-side.

I hope the OP is still around and remembers.

Was this a transformer split? If so, which preamp got the direct and which got the iso?
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

DAV often wins in this sort of shoot-out with various mic pres (for me) and one of the areas it impresses is in how large it sounds.

It doesn't neglect the "body" of the sound, if you see what I mean, and yet is open sounding too. It's just a great balanced mic amp.

When you increase this by using multiple channels, you don't have to listen for the difference, it's just there in your face - one of those - Oh! moments!
Old 3rd June 2010
Lives for gear

I can't hear mucho difference on my DT-990s. B seems to have a little more body on louder passages but other than that it's pretty much even steven. So is B the DAV? anyway, I can't really tell on my cans.
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear Nut

After all this time, did you end up selling the DAV, Steve?

DigitalOlive,

Thanks for posting the audio. They were really close sound-wise to me

Maybe I missed something, but did you post which pre was which?

From looking at your other posts, it seems like you may have since sold the DAV? Do you still have the Precision 8's (two, right?)

What about build quality? The P8 seams more "tankly" in the pics, or the DAV less...

Thanks, Bill
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo Diddly View Post
DigitalOlive,

Thanks for posting the audio. They were really close sound-wise to me

Maybe I missed something, but did you post which pre was which?

From looking at your other posts, it seems like you may have since sold the DAV? Do you still have the Precision 8's (two, right?)

What about build quality? The P8 seams more "tankly" in the pics, or the DAV less...

Thanks, Bill

The true systems mic preamp is good, (I wouldn't turn down using it) but the DAV sound has more "body" or more "Euphonic" whereas the True is more of a "millennia" type preamp (which I dont care for..too "antiseptic")
Old 3rd July 2010
Gear Nut

usd to gbp

I guess that the DAV may be even less expensive right now with the weakness of the GBP to the Dollar.

Anyone recently buy the BG8 with dollars?

Also four unit model has gain to 66 vs 59 on the eight unit model. Anyone opinions on that difference? For ribbons low low output dynamics? Is the DAV clean when cranked?
Attached Thumbnails
DAV BG-8 vs. True Systems Precision 8-gbp-usd.jpg  

Last edited by Gobo Diddly; 3rd July 2010 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: added question about gain between 4 and 8 ch. DAV units
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo Diddly View Post
I guess that the DAV may be even less expensive right now with the weakness of the GBP to the Dollar.

Anyone recently buy the BG8 with dollars?

Also four unit model has gain to 66 vs 59 on the eight unit model. Anyone opinions on that difference? For ribbons low low output dynamics? Is the DAV clean when cranked?
Mick can add the extra gain on any of them, and yes, it is dead quiet, at least on any of the 20 or so mics I have used with the BG amps...(dynamics, ribbons, condensors)
Old 3rd July 2010
I've used both the True and the DAV and must say that the DAV is my go to pre for nearly anything acoustic in nature... classical, jazz, acoustic instruments in busier mixes... I just love the sound. To me, the top end is especially 'magical'. I haven't been able to think of another word to describe it.

The True is also a great pre, very solid, and built in Tucson, AZ, just south of me in Phoenix. I've never had any negative thoughts about the sound, but it never struck me like the DAV did. It never gave me a 'wow' moment.

I'd go with the DAV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search