The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I m an unsigned -yet ; )- musician, what s the best DIY website I can choose?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

I m an unsigned -yet ; )- musician, what s the best DIY website I can choose?

Hi all

as an unsigned -yet- musician, what s the best DIY website I can choose?

I was thinking about squarespace, which basically seems to offer all what a musician could dream of.

Any alternatives?

If you are like me yet unsigned, What are you using?

As Squarespace is not free, it could be interesting to know the -good- free alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

cwar05
Old 27th August 2007
The current 800 pound gorilla is probably SoundClick - Free MP3 music download and much, much more., which offers both free and pay-for accounts with a fair number of extras, including a Flash based player you can embed in your website or even your MySpace and blog pages. Folks with older browsers may want to make sure their pop-up protection is set to high, though. (No pop-ups with the embeddable player, though.)

There's also music.downloads.com [ Free MP3 music downloads - Free Music Downloads - MP3 Downloads - Download.com Music ] and a reincarnated mp3.com [ MP3 Music Downloads - Buy MP3 Music Online - Digital Music Downloads ], both owned by CNET who seem clueless what to do with them.

And there are a raft of new sites I've seen that are often long on (someone's idea of) visual flare but often way short on server performance, resulting in long waits for streams, etc.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac
check out this site:

www.noisehead.com

great for unsigned artists!!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for these sites guys but that s not exactly what I m talking about...

When I m talking about website, I m talking about my own website, let s say for example www.cwar05.com, where i could show my own world, with my own graphics etc...

I know the places U gave and even if they re good for unsigned artists, they don t help artists to develop their own concept.

When I m talking about those websites that offer DIY websites, here s link of what i m talking about :

http://www.squarespace.com/

Web Hosting, Free Web Hosting and Web Tools from Bravenet.com.

Homestead - Create your own Website: FREE Trial! Web Hosting & Website Building Software Included

You see what I mean now?

what do U think of these sites?

Cwar05
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I use Mac's iWeb ...it looks great and is really easy to use IMHO.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

In all honesty, and quite a few friends experience, MySpace is the way to go.

I have quite a few friends in A&R (they aren't that bad really), and a good myspace buzz is way better than a flashy site with "cool" images etc etc..

The good thing with MySpace is it is viewed and judged by your peers, hopefully the people that will be buying your music in a few months time.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by A440 View Post
I use Mac's iWeb ...it looks great and is really easy to use IMHO.
Nice tip... but I m on windows....
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post

I have quite a few friends in A&R (they aren't that bad really), and a good myspace buzz is way better than a flashy site with "cool" images etc etc..

The good thing with MySpace is it is viewed and judged by your peers, hopefully the people that will be buying your music in a few months time.

You should be right, bUT I d like to sell my music by myself, on my website... and so far myspace can t give you that....
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

you can sell your own music on myspace by putting a Paypal shopping cart on there and filling the orders yourself just like you would on your own website.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

You can sell music on myspace.

If you are looking for your own site you can check to see if the host company has E107 (E107.org) Drupal (drupal.org) installs or you can rent a host and install those sites by yourself.

A couple hosts to check out

Web hosting with cPanel and Fantastico deluxe.web hosting blogs,MySQl web hosting

Dathorn Internet Services

You can use 1and1.com but they have limited tools available but it might just work for what you need.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomoone View Post
You can sell music on myspace.

If you are looking for your own site you can check to see if the host company has E107 (E107.org) Drupal (drupal.org) installs or you can rent a host and install those sites by yourself.

A couple hosts to check out

Web hosting with cPanel and Fantastico deluxe.web hosting blogs,MySQl web hosting

Dathorn Internet Services

You can use 1and1.com but they have limited tools available but it might just work for what you need.
I ve just checked Ur websites, what makes them better than Squarespace ?
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
you can sell your own music on myspace by putting a Paypal shopping cart on there and filling the orders yourself just like you would on your own website.
even if Ur not a US citizen?
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post

Besides, on MYSPACE player, 4 songs only, right
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwar05 View Post
Besides, on MYSPACE player, 4 songs only, right
You sending out albums as demos?

Just a hint; but put your best 4 songs on myspace and advertise your gigs. If people want to hear an album (like they still exist) they will ask you for it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search