The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unsing my Fender Twin as an outboard reverb unit Ribbon Microphones
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Unsing my Fender Twin as an outboard reverb unit

Hi Slutz,
Just a post here soliciting advice and/or experiences about using an amp's spring reverb as an outboard effects device for a recorrding already ITB.

I was doing some tracking with a buddy of mine yesterday. He was on bass, and I was playing my Strat through my Twin with the reverb set on about four, and a Royer R-121 on the amp.

Listening back through the monitors, I kind of had to confess that it rarely seems to get any nicer. The reverb is so rich and beautiful sounding, with a real sense of depth and space that seems so much more natural and three dimensional than any of my digital reverbs. Admittedly, I don't really have any "super nice" outboard reverbs...

So, I just got to thinking- why not try and figure out a way to use the amp as an outboard effects unit? Set up a send out of ProTools, into my reamp box, and then into the Twin, leave the mic and pre on, return it back into the box and adjust the level to taste?

I realize this is hardly a novel idea, and that this has been done before, but I'm just curious if any of you have had any experience doing this, and if so, if you liked the results? Does the reverb hold up over a whole mix, and does the fact that it would technically be a mono reverb make it less interesting in the end than a stereo reverb?

Thanks for any tips, shared experiences, etc!

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have no tips but I want to cheer you up with a I agree the twin is really nice and I really dig the reverb. I have another custom built reverb (top) that I like to use but I have a couple of problems with noise etc that I want to fix before I have a long smile on my face... Very creative let us know how it goes.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search