The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking to get into pro tools- are there any m audio interface with decent converters Audio Interfaces
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

looking to get into pro tools- are there any m audio interface with decent converters

Im looking to get into pro tools and am lookin to get an interface i can travel with. The digi 002 and 003 are out of the question since they are too big and i am looking for something portable that i can use on the plane etc.
Ive been looking at all the m powered interfaces as well as the m box 2 pro. Do any of these interfaces have decent converters? I will be bypassing the preamp stage so thats not a worry. From what ive read on here they all seem to be rubbish.
Do m- audio make any good interfaces? if not high end then at least on the level of a focusrite saffire or motu (converter wise)
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Check out the Delta 1010's. They use the same converters as the digi's, and there's also a mod available for the analog circuitry and clock.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

errr.. missed the 'too big' part.. My bad
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick0 View Post
Check out the Delta 1010's. They use the same converters as the digi's, and there's also a mod available for the analog circuitry and clock.
The thing is ill be running it on a laptop so im looking for something firewire
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

short answer: no

get a small interface and an apogee mini-me or something.

-s0nguy
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

this is bleak. but ive heard of a black lion mod which makes things better. the thing is i live in the uk so thats gonna be a major hassle. damn m audio and avid
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

The Black lion mod is only available for the 1814 and the 410, and if the 410 is a little like the 1814, you don't ever want to use it when traveling!! The 1814 did exactly as stated in the warning, when accidentally hotplugging it kills the firewire port of your laptop...
If you're really into the good converter thing, I'd suggest you check the cheapest and smallest M-Powered compatible interface with SPDIF, and use it with the small apogee converter.
Good luck.
Old 27th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendecido View Post
The thing is ill be running it on a laptop so im looking for something firewire
Then you're going to have to look at USB... unless you have a power source.

Rail
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

m-audio profire lightbridge (18 channels of i/o with m-powered) or transit (2 channels with m-powered) and an apogee mini me.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...idge-main.html
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

mini me was just discontinued but i mercenary has a couple left.
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minime.php
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

so you can use the lightbridge to use an interface otherwise not competible to protools??

Would be great if i could use my motu ultralite in protools
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
so you can use the lightbridge to use an interface otherwise not competible to protools??

Would be great if i could use my motu ultralite in protools
yes
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
yes
thats nice,

the protools package is not included with the hardware i suppose?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
yes
No! unless your interface can be used in stand-alone mode, and send it's signal out via an ADAT port (which actually makes it an AD converter with ADAT function, which can be used as an interface) you can. It can not be used with a random USB interface or simular.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search