The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ultra-slutty discussion... Headphone Extension cables! Studio Headphones
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Ultra-slutty discussion... Headphone Extension cables!

Alright, I have gone through about a half dozen of the awful Hosa/Sam Ash/Guitar Center headphone extension cables. They always fail at the female TRS end.

Please recommend me some good, reliable (hopefully cheap) alternatives.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

build your own. that way if they fail you have nobody to blame but yourself. :-)
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I get most of my cables from here:

Kelsey Cable Index

Don't know if that will help you as they're in the UK! But they will probably ship to US.

They make all their cables in-house using high quality components and connectors. Their stage boxes are brilliant also.

I got two h/phone extension cables from them and they are perfect.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Probably as low end as you can get...but I've been using those headphone extension cables from Radio Shack and had no probems. I've owned 6 of those cables for over 4 years now and they all still work fine. Now that I've said that, I'm sure one will crap out today. My clients tend to destroy the headphones before the chord goes..much to my annoyance.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFocus View Post
build your own. that way if they fail you have nobody to blame but yourself. :-)
I've built about half of my cables. For what a consumer (me) spends in raw cable and connectors, plus labor hours, it sometimes makes more sense to purchase them straight out. I barely have time these days to take a crap, let alone spend a few hours soldering something that I straight up buy for $10-20.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

MoreMe Headphones has some extension cables-- not sure of how good they are, but they're cheap and the MoreMe's themselves are really good. You can get that stuff from Warren at Front End Audio. I've also seen some cable makers on ebay selling some Mogami headphone extension cables on ebay.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah...those Hosa cables suck. They all offer very dodgy connections. Luckily, they are so cheap that you can just stock up on them, but I'd say building some out of good Mogami/Canare/Belden cable would be the best bet. You can always have one of those guys that build and sell cables make you up some. I've been putting this off myself.
Old 10th October 2009
Here for the gear

I had a brain wave a few months back and its panned out really well. There are adapters that are male or female XLR to heavy a locking female TRS jack. I recomend the Neutrik NA3FJ one but you could also use an NA3MJ.

I have quite few high quality trs to xlr cables for various hookups around the studio in varying lengths. Whenever I need an extention I just grab one of those cables with enough length and snap one of those adaptors on. if it were to break (none have yet) I can just swap an adaptor to another cable. With Neautriks on either end its VERY solid, and I think those adaptor things might never break. PLus the bonus is that I am usually using mogami or canaire cable so it sounds better.

Works great for me, and makes the same cable multipurpose.

Sweet
M
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Radio Shack!
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFocus View Post
build your own
+1

I have to say this has worked best for me - Belden cable with Neutrik TRS connectors at either end. Not had one fail in fifteen years.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurymantra View Post
Yeah...those Hosa cables suck.
They are the absolute worst cables I've ever owned. Steer clear of the Hosa crap.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Learn to build your own, it will be the most gratifying thing you can do for your studio setup. Also you know exactly what you're getting and can use top quality components for HOSA pre-made prices.

learning is a pain, but once you got it you got it for life!
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I had the same brain wave 2 years ago when I had to put a vocalist in another room away from all my headphone boxes. I was lucky in that I had those adapters. Worked great! I had to plug 2 mike cables together to even reach the area. Since then I bought a few more pairs of adapters.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusionboy View Post
I had a brain wave a few months back and its panned out really well. There are adapters that are male or female XLR to heavy a locking female TRS jack. I recomend the Neutrik NA3FJ one but you could also use an NA3MJ.

I have quite few high quality trs to xlr cables for various hookups around the studio in varying lengths. Whenever I need an extention I just grab one of those cables with enough length and snap one of those adaptors on. if it were to break (none have yet) I can just swap an adaptor to another cable. With Neautriks on either end its VERY solid, and I think those adaptor things might never break. PLus the bonus is that I am usually using mogami or canaire cable so it sounds better.

Works great for me, and makes the same cable multipurpose.

Sweet
M
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

They also used to crap out on me regularly. About 1 every 6 months. Sometimes less. I then made my own with Canare cable an Neutrik connectors. Have now not had one go in 6 years.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Neutrik connectors rarely craps out! Actually, if not abused, they will last forever. Allways had problems with other brands (or nobrands.
Old 10th October 2009
Gear Maniac

I just use a TRS to XLR adapter & run whatever length of mic cable I need. Works great!!
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

I had mine made by Redco. The cheap hosa ones break all the time. I just ordered a Furman HD-S headphone system so I'm not sure if I'll be in need of them anymore.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

DigiFlex CSJ-25

awesome. lifetime warranty.
Old 10th October 2009
Gear Addict

+1 for using mic cables, I have got xlr connectors on all my headphones anyway, makes it very easy to use a mic cable whenever you need to extend it.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioKing View Post
+1 for using mic cables, I have got xlr connectors on all my headphones anyway, makes it very easy to use a mic cable whenever you need to extend it.
you chopped the TRS off your headphones and installed XLR connectors?......thats an interesting idea...
Old 7th November 2011
Gear Addict

Bump.

If you dont want to make your own, but want better than Hosa/Radio Shack, what are you guys/gals using? If you go on Amazon, there are really not that many choices, it's crazy high Mogami or rebranded flimsy cord crap, with a few in between.

Maybe long ass trs to trs cables with a hadphone adapter?
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
Probably as low end as you can get...but I've been using those headphone extension cables from Radio Shack and had no probems. I've owned 6 of those cables for over 4 years now and they all still work fine. Now that I've said that, I'm sure one will crap out today. My clients tend to destroy the headphones before the chord goes..much to my annoyance.
Same here. I own 4 pairs (some of them almost 10 years) and never had one fail me yet.
Old 7th November 2011
Gear Maniac

I have had the radio shack headphone extension cables go bad (some of my clients are real rough) and also have 2 I made out of older mic cords.
But I bought 2 Livewire headphone extension cables a few months ago and am very happy, they are also several feet longer then the radio shack ones, I think they were about $20.
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Alright, I have gone through about a half dozen of the awful Hosa/Sam Ash/Guitar Center headphone extension cables. They always fail at the female TRS end.

Please recommend me some good, reliable (hopefully cheap) alternatives.

never had one fail --never ever in my life
what are you doing to yours?

you could put a lot of tape around the connection
enough tape it will never fail
but makes it hard to separate the cable from the gear again
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Grado makes a headphone extension cable that is well made,I have had mine for 7-8 years.
Old 7th November 2011
Gear Nut

I built my own. Its the way to go for sure.
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

Depending on how you use these things and how long the cables are on the phones, you could build something particularly robust by running a cable with a TRS male end into a small aluminum project box (with appropriate strain relief) and then just wiring it up to a high-quality TRS jack installed in the box. That panel mount jack will be more robust than just about any inline jack solution.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

After having similar experience with cheap cables to the OP and others, I bought a bunch of Radial branded cables with Neutrik connectors. They were $45 each, but that's cheaper than dealing with faulty cables mid session.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search