The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you get that 1920s disembodied-singing-through-a-megaphone sound? Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

How do you get that 1920s disembodied-singing-through-a-megaphone sound?

What effect creates this sound, and roughly how would I set the parameters?

Thanks!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

HPF, LPF and a little distortion
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Before plug ins me and my pals use to use a drawmer noise gate set in side chain listen mode..it had LPF and HPF that would be set to let through approximately 250 hz to 2500 hz (tweak to taste)...as the previous mail mentioned, distortion would add the final touch. we'd often just overload the mixer channel because guitar pedals never seemed to do it without thinning the sound too much..until the wonderful sansamp pedal came along.

i guess any plug in gate and amp simulation would do the trick these days.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Sansamp Tri-AC, tweed setting.
Make sure to de-ess before.

Cheers!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Try a steep high pass to remove everything up to 1kHz, and a steep low pass to remove everything above 3kHz. A little mono reverb (maybe a guitar cab impulse). A saturation plugin might help to, but that's basically it.

An alternative is to reamp through a small speaker and maybe a mechanical filter (e.g. a tin can or whatever).
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Placid Audio Copperphone.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

izotope vinyl plug in is good for this too.. and free..
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yep Placid audio copperphone is the real deal, however their site seems to be down at the moment,

heres another link to the maker:

http://www.izotope.com/artists/mark_pirro.asp
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Band pass filter and some distortion/overdrive.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Try having the singer sing through a megaphone. It could work!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbarnfool View Post
+1

Sometimes the best way to get the effect, is to do the effect!.

I remember an EQ/Preamp panel at the San Francisco AES show:

Moderator: "What do you do first when you are EQing?"

George Massenburg: "Move the Mic"

Rupert Neve: (or possibly the Tonelux guy, they were sitting next to each other) "Change the Mic"

Malcom Toft: "After those 2 steps, try a little shelving."

Anyway, that's the way I remembered it. A nice bit of advice.

Last edited by andsonic; 27th August 2007 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: more clarity, typos
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I got a megaphone from ebay. I stick it in front of a shinybox ribbon. Then as needed I overdrive the channel on my Trident 24. Eq it if needed I think that that is the sound you are looking for. It popped out at me the first time I did it.

Its a nice one.

Just stand back from the mic a bit.
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Try sending the signal out to a limited bandwith speaker like an auratone. Then make a megaphone (cone) out of flexible cardboard or plastic or whatever you have around. Mount it in front of the speaker and mic it. I've done this many times and it sounds amazingy real. You can adjust the sound by increasing or decreasing the opening to the horn. Also, experiment with mic position. An omni tends to work well.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
Sansamp Tri-AC, tweed setting.
Make sure to de-ess before.

Cheers!
yes. that works well. TC HELICON also has a great preset.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

I've seen some great suggestions for doing the effect acoustically, I especially like the one with the Auratone. For the electronic approach, the bandpass method works quite well. I also like to remember the megaphone recorders had a prominent resonance peak around 400 cycles. When transcribing old recordings years ago, I would push down the slider in that region and the change was striking!stike
Old 8th June 2010
Here for the gear

God help me I still love analog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post

Thanks!
I have used poor quality mics like from an old CB radio base station. Their frequency response is so poor it is like using a couple filters. The filters can work too. I also have an old cheap crystal mic I use for that effect of sounding like someone singing a mile away in a dream kind of weird 1920s sound. I use a redesigned active phono preamp filter a lot. I redesigned it to have 3 band pass, and a low and high. This utilized ECC83s and ECC82s so the tubes can be expensive, but in this unit they last a long time. Some plate reverb may work well too.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

The plugin Speakerphone will give you exactly what you seek and a gazillion different combinations of radio/speaker etc etc.
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbarnfool View Post

indeed the singers on the earliest records were singing into a cone, not a mic.

additionally some singers in the early days used an actual (passive) megaphone in performance

famously Rudy Vallee

Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

like this.

The Copperphone - Placid Audio
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

YouTube - Mr Show - Monsters of Megaphone

this is a pretty simple problem to tackle. enjoy the genius of Mr show///hehhehheh
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear
+1 for speaker phone it has all the horn emulations as well as old school telephones and 1920's record player emulation. really awesome for creative vocals and will give you what you need and more! i chased that sound for awhile with megaphones recording to old recorders and all kinds of stuff but the plug is really simple and sounds great!
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device View Post
Placid Audio Copperphone.
Absolutely...
Old 8th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post

Thanks!
If you have not decided upon a plan yet, it is useful to note that the microphones they often used that had the sound you are describing were CARBON microphones. Older telephones from the early 1980s and older all used carbon mic cartridges/ elements and you can devise a home-made microphone from one of those cartridges/ elements if you are a DIY sort of person. The element needs some voltage to make it work. I made one where I am using 48V. off the board/ preamp--it easily overloads the channel though. I have tried a bunch of different cartridges from different manufacturers and they all have the same sound. I am thinking about trying the same thing out with a greatly reduced voltage--but I have not had time to put into the project.

The copperphone mics are similar, but not exactly the same. They were working on a carbon mic, but the last time I checked , they weren't making/ selling it yet. Another mic made from a carbon microphone cartridge is the Bing. Check it out: Bing Carbon Microphone on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos They have sound clips and you can buy the mic via eBay or on their web site. At something around $130, I will tell you it is probably worth it having spent time and money trying to make my own. I enjoyed the project of creating my own microphone, but at the end of the day, what I have does not appear to be as useful as the Bing sounds.
Old 8th June 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

Quote:
this is a pretty simple problem to tackle. enjoy the genius of Mr show///hehhehheh
"goes up and dowwwnnnn...thank you"
Old 8th June 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmoeddie View Post
This utilized ECC83s and ECC82s so the tubes can be expensive
You're joking right?

ECC-83 = 12ax7
ECC-82 = 12au7

Two of the most common, and least expensive tubes in audio today.

Peace.
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Guru

I agree with all the copperphone comments. thumbsup
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Addict

You can also sing through a cardboard paper-towel tube. It sounds quite groovy
Old 8th June 2010
Myr
Gear Addict

Queen did this for Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon:

Output the vocals through a pair of headphones. Place them in a metal bucket or can, and record that. Blend to taste with the original track.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

there's a quote from tom waits that goes something like this (i'm paraphrasing): "if you want it to sound like an old boot kicking a wet paper bag, use an old boot and kick a wet paper bag."

you can pretty much filter anything to sound like anything, but why not just buy a megaphone if that's what you're going for? capturing the sound you want from the start always yeilds better results imho...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search