The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Isolation guitar box/chamber DIY - open for suggestions
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

I've a client who uses these for guitar and bass and I get very good results from them for clean, distorted and everything in between. OK, most of the time it's not as good as the real thing, but it really isn't far off - the only downside is that you can't easily change the mic, but it.s not really been a problem anyway - he uses the wee Orange and Epiphone amp heads

AxeTrak Isolation Cabinets
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purusha View Post
The small white box on the back table, maybe?
Nope that's a Fulltone TTE, right? :-)
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

I've been through the ringer trying to accomplish what you're trying to do. Here's my chance to vent.

I tried the Axetrak... boxey... it only works for very specific lead tones... IMO, and metal is not one of them. I'll sell you mine cheap if you want it, though.

I tried a Palmer PGA-04, a motherload, a PODxt, you name it. The Palmer sounded too fizzy and processed. The POD was ok, but the room ambience and crappy converters kinda bothered me especially when it came time to mix. What's the point of having killer converters when you have to run stuff through the POD first.

The motherload came closest, but I don't do metal and the resonance filters didn't do it for me, although I can see how it could work well for metal and other heavy stuff. I'll sell you that too.

I'm not saying any of these gadgets can't work in certain situations. I'm not saying that people who use them are somehow inadequate. So please don't flame me.

I finally settled on a Sequis Richter attenuator into a single speaker cab inside a 5ish x 5ish x 7 foot box. I stuffed every available space full of bass trapping material. In my case, sheets of 4" acoustic cotton, and some rockwool panels, but 703 would work.

I use the Richter control because cranking a speaker inside a small box starts to resonate in not so musical ways at high volumes. I'm pretty satisfied with the results. It doesn't seem to suck the tone.

In my opinion, stuff as much absorption in the box as possible because there aren't any usable reflections in a space that small. That's the drawback of the isoboxes I've seen... not enough absorption in too small a space.

I also feel that putting any more than a single speaker in a small box like that won't yield the results you'd expect having that same cabinet in a room. You may get lucky and the box you construct might resonate in a good way, but I have no idea how you'd design it that way. You may be able to find a spot where the comb filtering sounds good. But it's a crapshoot. Even in a 5x5x7 box stuffed full of bass trapping you can't put the mic too close to the wall or it will sound like muddy garbage from the reflections.

I have a space now where I can record as loud as I want and it's been freeing in a big way. There is no substitute, but that doesn't mean you can't make other methods work well for you.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, that in my experience, the box you put your cabinet in has to be pretty big to be useful. My 5x5x7 box works pretty well with an attenuator.

If you can't build a big enough box then you might try taking a line out of your amp using a dummy load box (like a Richter, Weber mass, etc) straight into your DAW, no filters. Then run a low latency convolution plugin loaded with the speaker cab and mic impulse of your choice. Voxengo's Analogflux suite has a low latency convolution plug, or even Voxengo's Boogex with all the controls zeroed (it's free) will give you an idea of what it'll sound like. Revalver lets you load your own impulses, too. I'm sure there are others.

If you have a good enough sound card with low latency drivers, you can even play through the impulse plugin. It's not the same as playing through an amp and guitar cab in a room, but it's not too clunky to get decent results.

Anyway, I'd try something like that before I go to the trouble of building a box.

You might like it :-)

Good luck and sorry for the long rant.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Addict

Considering the age of this thread i fancy bumping it to see if anyone knows of any modern approaches to keeping the volume down when recording?

the last thing i think anyone wants to do is lose the "power" though
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

The most recent version of the Axetrak is pretty good. The mic can be tilted a bit, which is a nice improvement.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear
this is an oldie but goody posty,

I've tried every possible scenario for recording in apts late night. Just turn the amp down and buy a pre w/ lots of gain
smother the amp w/ moving blankets. It will not be heard by neighbors and will not sound like crap like a isobox or those speaker sims or those axefx and modelers and alike.

I realize it will not be that imaginary wall of gtr sound people think they can get micing 20 cabinets in a room. But guess what? a modeler, axefeffect, speaker sim or iso box will not get you close to that sound either . The only thing that will is a real amp and even if it's played low it will still sound light years better than a modeler, axereffect, speaker sim or iso box, fractal boxes

I can't think of anyone who had a bigger guitar tone than Brian May and he used a small homemade battery operated amp w/ a 6 inch speaker. Many other gtrist have used similar small amps/low volumes with professional results. It's done all the time. I do it everyday. except this week my basement is flooded

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search