The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mid-sized Console Question Consoles
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Mid-sized Console Question

O.k., still trying to figure how much I am going to need to spend to put together a quality recording rig-
Looking at the mid-sized 32 channel desk;I am going to be using the board for monitoring, summing & adding outboard processing-overlooking the specific features of the boards, which of these are going to give me the most musical eq with the most coloured pres (closest to a Harrison 32 type of colour)?
I am going to be using the board for monitoring, summing & adding outboard processing.

15k and below range:
Trident 8T
Toft ATB
SC Ghost
TL Audio M4
Mackie ONYX

35K and below:
TL Audio VTC 32
Trident Dream 32

I also had a friend tell me to take a look at some live consoles that have solid eq and nice pres if I was going to be using the board for monitoring
and summing; so I am throwing the Midas Siena in the list to.-this brings up another question that I have, are there many people using quality live boards for summing/eq/pres, etc?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Toft has gotten pretty good reviews so far. The preamps are from the Series 980 board and the EQ's are designed to be like an old Trident 80B. The 8T is not too bad if you like the sound of the S20. I am a fan of those pres but find the EQ to be rather boring. The Mackie is more of a Hybrid. It's meant to be used for live applications. Personally, I wouldn't use the Onyx in the studio. It doesn't really make you get up and say "I gotta have that board!!" Without hearing the TL, my vote would go for the Toft (although I would suggest at least listening to the TL vs the Toft and draw your own conclusions).

In your below 35K range, you might want to consider a Neotek Elan. You could keep it close to that. I have heard good feedback from someone on the Dream series (never used it myself though). I have never used TL products (although I'm curious to hear them). I hope that helps somewhat.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
In your below 35K range, you might want to consider a Neotek Elan. You could keep it close to that.
I was going to mention the Neotek Elan as well.

--Adam Lazlo
Old 27th August 2007
One with big hooves

I'm not familar with many of those including the new Trident/Oram desks, but if 'ya got the money... a Midas Verona with a comprehensive patchbay would be pretty tough to beat. TL Audio (based on the outboard) is kinda 'there' & Smackie wouldn't even be a consideration... Ghost isn't bad, but is far from colored IMO.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

those are mid-sized consoles??????

Neotek - D&R - Trident

those are mid-sized consoles IMO.

Jo
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
those are mid-sized consoles??????

Neotek - D&R - Trident

those are mid-sized consoles IMO.

Jo
That's what I thought!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
That's what I thought!
Thanks for the feedback and the education guys-so the desks that I mentioned would fall into the cataglory of a "small desk"?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I fear so - but that doesn't mean it's not useful or you can't make any records with those. But bear in mind that the next bigger class gives you a lot more IMO.

Jo
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I fear so - but that doesn't mean it's not useful or you can't make any records with those. But bear in mind that the next bigger class gives you a lot more IMO.

Jo
O.k. so when you say, "a lot more", are you talking about more in features or a jump in the improvement of pre/eq quality?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

O.k., after doing a little bit of research, it looks like I am going to have to definitly include the Midas and A& H boards in this list as I have seen some people recommend it as a option in that price range! I might have a more luck actually being able to go in and hear that board vs. some of the other boards I have listed. Most of the local studio's in Minneapolis seem to have true mid-sized/larger desk or other boards that are not on my list!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd look for a mid-sized desk. They are not much more money and most are a step above the smaller desks. There are some fantastic deals out there at the moment

Neotek, DDA, D&R, bigger Soundcrafts, bigger Soundtracs are all worth a look.

I picked up a 36 channel Soundcraft Sapphyre for £1,400 ($2,800), it's a pretty serious desk, £20,000 ($40,000) new 13 years ago!

For example the Sapphyre has -90 odd dB crosstalk compared to a Ghost which is around -60 odd dB Differnt beast altogether.

Modular too so that if a channel dies it wont wreck the session.

Good luck with your search.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Listen to Ted - one day you need all those extra busses or the real 4band eq or phase switch or ...

the smaller boards are very fine - I really like to work on those A&H live desks, but in the studio I prefer a D&R or anything along those lines (look above)

Jo
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Listen to Ted - one day you need all those extra busses or the real 4band eq or phase switch or ...

the smaller boards are very fine - I really like to work on those A&H live desks, but in the studio I prefer a D&R or anything along those lines (look above)

Jo
Thanks guys-I will take that into serious consideration. I am trying to figure out a way for my friend and I to put together a nice rig and not have my wife divorce me (ha-ha)!

I just got finished reading some of the post on the Toft ATB-that board sounds like it my be really nice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search