The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PLease Help Me Rehab My Allen and Heath System8 Studio Monitors
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

PLease Help Me Rehab My Allen and Heath System8

Hi Slutz!

I recently grabbed an Allen and Heath System 8 16-4-2 console. For $150! It's been modified so it's got direct outs on each channel. It was pretty clean when I got it but I have detailed it abit and it looks almost new. So the seller said it had some noisy pots and switches but said it would be good to go after a good cleaning. So far I have
-shop vaced with a small attachment to pick up any larger dust and lint
-used canned compressed air in each of the faders, switches and connections to remove smaller stuck on dirt
-used Caig Labs DeOxit cleaner on each of the fader rails, switches and connections
-have not yet used Caig Labs fader lube on each fader.

The faders are surprisingly smoothe by the way. The seller said they were Penny and Giles but when I cracked the board open they are actually ALPS (Japan if that makes a difference). After I had shot it with the canned air I read somewhere that your not supposed to do that. Is this true?

Anyway, I did'nt mess with the pots because they appeared to be sealed up pretty tight. I could not see any obvious access to the inside of the pot. So all the faders and switches are pretty quiet now but I've still got scratchy pots. Can anyone help me with some cleaning tips? I'm really anxious to pump some sound through this beast. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Really? No one?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

never heard about teh canned air stuff, but i've been told that products like deoxit and what have you will work, but these are temporary fixes for faders....they'll eventually dry them out and they'll just get worse...

im about ready to start fixing up my A&H board and I've been struggling to find info or advice...

i'd love to know if i could do any mods, swapping out anything to bring some channels quality up or perhaps making the master section a bit more masterful...

but like i've said, i've heard only little advice on any of it...
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

System 8

Years ago I revamped my System 8 (it's been decommisioned about 15 years ago).

Start by:

Getting a larger (more current) power supply.

Change summing amps to Hardy 990 15V version
(not a project for beginners - but well worth it !!!!)

Change 2 master faders to P & G's

Replace all Electrolytic caps and bypass with a small value
quality film cap. This is a marathon job - start with just the master section and maybe a couple of channels.

Lots more - you can PM me.

Best of luck with it
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Wow, thanks for the info SteamVent. I appreciate the offer to help and will keep you in mind for future modification projects. I think for right now I just need to figure out how to service the pots. Everything else appears to be functioning properly. I just have a few bad seeds. I finally got everything patched in last night and man what a sound! Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

I have one, also,
which power supply did you buy?? thanks

Enrico
Old 21st December 2007
Here for the gear

just bought one as well

I just bought an Allen and Heath MKIII with a desk for $300 and am experiencing some of the same minor problems. Did you ever remedy the scratchy pots? This is my first mixer and I'm already infatuated with it. Everything works great except for a broken low EQ knob and the annoying scratching of the monitor and headphone pots. but I was also wondering if anyone knows where to find a manual/schematics for this thing so I don't bore you with even more newbie questions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search