The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tame those hi-hats - tip
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Tame those hi-hats - tip

I always browse here, and find lots of useful info...
I finally had a cool tip to share. I dont know if this has been discussed here, but I never saw/heard of anyone doing this technique, and i came up with it today to get some hat out of the overheads; because the drummer cant/ wont play the hats softly:

To tame those over-powering hi-hats that eat up your OH's:
Place a mic stand (straight kind, no boom) right near the hihats. Have it be higher than the hats by about 4". Grab a 2x2 piece of soundproofing foam (auralex) and tape it to the mic stand at the same hieght of the cymbals about 2 " away. Make it so the foam kind of leans over the top of the hi hats a little. Make the edges of the foam wrap around the hats also. This tames the harshness and lowers the volume considerably. I usually put the foam setup in the front of the hat (while looking at front of kit) , so it blocks the sound from getting to the room mics too.

Hope this helps...
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avav1 View Post
I always browse here, and find lots of useful info...
I finally had a cool tip to share. I dont know if this has been discussed here, but I never saw/heard of anyone doing this technique, and i came up with it today to get some hat out of the overheads; because the drummer cant/ wont play the hats softly:

To tame those over-powering hi-hats that eat up your OH's:
Place a mic stand (straight kind, no boom) right near the hihats. Have it be higher than the hats by about 4". Grab a 2x2 piece of soundproofing foam (auralex) and tape it to the mic stand at the same hieght of the cymbals about 2 " away. Make it so the foam kind of leans over the top of the hi hats a little. Make the edges of the foam wrap around the hats also. This tames the harshness and lowers the volume considerably. I usually put the foam setup in the front of the hat (while looking at front of kit) , so it blocks the sound from getting to the room mics too.

Hope this helps...
Thanks but:

Does'nt this get in the way of the sticks or at least worry the drummer who just loaded in?

:Ron
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

He must be playing some thick ass hats as well, along with some tree limbs. The drummers that i have had issues with always were using thick ass hats. Get him to adjust are live with it. I know that sounds harsh but we cannot work miracles for drummers like that.
He does not have to play softer as such, just us lighter hats or sticks.

This reminds me all to well of a guitarist that came in the studio and wanted to record guitar tracks with nothing but 15 speakers. Shesh.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd rank this right up there with Toby Wright's "McDonald's Fries Container Snare Baffle" trick. Right on!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I usually have the hi-hats so loud in the drummer's headphones that he has no choice but to play them softer so he doesn't go deaf. heh
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Why not just hire a good drummer?
Old 27th August 2007
One with big hooves

Albini likes to drop a set of keys inbetween the hats...

Having a few different sets of hats around to pick from can make a world of difference too.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
(...)Toby Wright's "McDonald's Fries Container Snare Baffle" trick.(...)
Care to elaborate?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Juliano View Post
Why not just hire a good drummer?
Now you're just being silly. hehhehheh

Try putting a shirt on the hats.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
I'd rank this right up there with Toby Wright's "McDonald's Fries Container Snare Baffle" trick. Right on!
Yeah Toby's got lotsa tricks that I've seen during his sessions. That's one of the more obvious ones...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search