The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tame those hi-hats - tip
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Tame those hi-hats - tip

I always browse here, and find lots of useful info...
I finally had a cool tip to share. I dont know if this has been discussed here, but I never saw/heard of anyone doing this technique, and i came up with it today to get some hat out of the overheads; because the drummer cant/ wont play the hats softly:

To tame those over-powering hi-hats that eat up your OH's:
Place a mic stand (straight kind, no boom) right near the hihats. Have it be higher than the hats by about 4". Grab a 2x2 piece of soundproofing foam (auralex) and tape it to the mic stand at the same hieght of the cymbals about 2 " away. Make it so the foam kind of leans over the top of the hi hats a little. Make the edges of the foam wrap around the hats also. This tames the harshness and lowers the volume considerably. I usually put the foam setup in the front of the hat (while looking at front of kit) , so it blocks the sound from getting to the room mics too.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by avav1; 27th August 2007 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: none
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avav1 View Post
I always browse here, and find lots of useful info...
I finally had a cool tip to share. I dont know if this has been discussed here, but I never saw/heard of anyone doing this technique, and i came up with it today to get some hat out of the overheads; because the drummer cant/ wont play the hats softly:

To tame those over-powering hi-hats that eat up your OH's:
Place a mic stand (straight kind, no boom) right near the hihats. Have it be higher than the hats by about 4". Grab a 2x2 piece of soundproofing foam (auralex) and tape it to the mic stand at the same hieght of the cymbals about 2 " away. Make it so the foam kind of leans over the top of the hi hats a little. Make the edges of the foam wrap around the hats also. This tames the harshness and lowers the volume considerably. I usually put the foam setup in the front of the hat (while looking at front of kit) , so it blocks the sound from getting to the room mics too.

Hope this helps...
Thanks,

But does'nt this get in the way of the sticks or at least worry a drummer who just loaded in and may not trust you just yet?

Also, do you now have to/get to mic the hat up when doing this?

:Ron
Old 27th August 2007

Can we see a pic of this?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Another thing i don't see many people doing is to put a deesser on the hihat / OH tracks. Can sometimes work wonders.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

mic up the hi-hat with anything and feed it into the drummers headphones really loud...

this will make him hit it quieter.
Old 28th August 2007
Han
Lives for gear

Find a decent drummer.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Lets assume, as is often the case, that the drummer is the only drummer the band have amoung them.

J
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I do something pretty similar with the top snare mic.

I fashioned a 10" x 6" piece of cardboard and auralex with an SM57-sized hole in the middle to cut down on hi-hat bleed. Works like a charm.
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

pics guys pics...

or it didnt happen heh

mp3s also
Old 18th November 2007
Gear Nut

I did a similar thing when I wanted to get some hats out of the snare mic, with a drummer that really had to have the hihat very close to the snare. I used a regular small K&M stand, you know the silver foldable ones... and put a few thick gear manuals on it, to get a physical barrier. Then put it between the snare and hihat, so I couldn't see the hihat from the snare mic position. Worked great! Sorry, no pics from the session.
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han View Post
Find a decent drummer.
plus good hats, room, and mics...

In my opinion there should never be a need to jury rig a drum setup.
Old 18th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post

Bruce Swieden would disagree...
Old 19th November 2007
Gear Nut

PICTURES!

I probably am just slow but I can't imagine the OP's explanation. My favourite suggestion is boosting the hat volume in the drummer's headphones heh but playing something softer often hinders drummers in some way so an alternative would probably be more effective.
Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Old 19th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My favorite suggestion is boosting the hat volume in the drummer's headphones heh
good idea- or make sure he can hear the overheads and how it effects the sound when he is playing the cymbals or hat too hard. sometimes the drummer wants no drums in his cans but if they can hear the overheads it wil affect their play for the better.
Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

maybe it's just me, but isn't it much simpler to record the noise they make rather than dick about trying to record the sound we wish they'd make?
Old 19th November 2007
Gear Nut

I have taken a mic stand with a round pop filter and put a wool hat on it held with a rubberband and placed that between the hi-hat and the snare. The goose neck lets you manipulate it so it blocks some sound and doesnt get in the way of anything. It's no miracle but every bit helps. We'd call it the "hat hat."
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
maybe it's just me, but isn't it much simpler to record the noise they make rather than dick about trying to record the sound we wish they'd make?
heh thumbsup

The original trick is quite handy if I'm reading it right... Nice one

For my stuff, if I (as a drummer) am hitting the hi hat too loud, I just put the mic behind me to my left (I'm a leftie). Seriously.
Old 26th December 2007
Pics please!
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

No pics please. It's really not that hard to visualise.

The variation on the original theme is to get a pop screen on a flexi gooseneck, and use that to support a piece of foam. Could save an additional mic stand.
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I apologize if this seems a bit rude ... what do you do when you don't have a great drummer? Do you refuse to do things to compensate, allow that to go on the final product, and then stamp your name on it?

To the original poster, well done sir. Keep doing what you need to do to get a fantastic final product. If that means a hi hat baffle, de-esser, or session drummer, then so be it!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Maniac

i don't like hats from a hi hat mic unless its absolutely necessary. much more natural coming from the overheads. drummers just have to learn how to play in the studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search