The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 5032 any input on this unit Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Neve 5032 any input on this unit

We are adding a neve 5032 pre to our commercial recording studio. Any input on this unit would be great. It got great reviews from mix and other magazines as sounding better in many cases than a 1073 or a vintech 1073 clone. What do you guys think that have used it first hand?
Old 27th August 2007
I wouldn't say it's 'better' than a 1073 or a Vintech, just different. These three are all very professional and versatile pieces of gear. The main difference between the original 'Neve' sound (again my opinion) and the RND preamp, is a little less upper mid presence on the RND and a little less crunch in the midrange overall. The RND is very versatile, and there should be no problems recording an entire CD with one and getting great results (same with the AMS or the Vintech too).
Old 18th February 2008
Here for the gear

I know that this reply may be a little late, but I would have to agree that none of the aforementioned pre/eq modules could truely be labeled as being "better" than the others simply because they each possess unique sonic qualities.

With that in mind, however, I would say that for most applications I personally would tend toward the 5032 as opposed to the other modules that you mentioned. I have worked quite extensively with all three of these units, and to my ears the 5032 simply sounds more natural. Since all of these units are transformer based, they all add some degree of coloration to the signal, but the 5032 (again, to my ears) seems to be the most "realistic" sounding of the three.

I completely agree with NathanEldred in that, "The main difference between the original 'Neve' sound (again my opinion) and the RND preamp, is a little less upper mid presence on the RND and a little less crunch in the midrange overall." But I must say that these qualities are not necessarily negative. When working with the Vintechs, for example (even when bypassing the EQ), I often find that my drum overheads have far too much upper mid frequency, causing them to sound particularly harsh, and my vocal tracks have far too much sibilance. And, although the average vintage 1073 module tends to have less of this harshness, there also tends to be a great deal of sonic inconsistancy and dynamic fluctuation among different modules.

I have tracked entire albums using exclusively Vintech X-73s and other albums using exclusively 5032s, and in my opinion, what the recordings that I did using the 5032s in the tracking stage sounded better on their own accord, and they were far easier to work with when it came to the mixing stage. They didn't contain any abrasive artifacts or overly harsh sounds. However, if I found myself in a place in which I needed to add more of a partcilar frequency to a track, I could always pull out my trusty Pultec and get the exact sound that I needed.

All in all, I'd prefer not to limit myself to any one pre-amp, but I would definitely say that any studio would bennefit from investing in a 5032 or two. Of course, it is not perfect for ever application out there, but as far as I am concerned, it is the most universal pre-amp out there.

-c.

I wouldn't say it's 'better' than a 1073 or a Vintech, just different. These three are all very professional and versatile pieces of gear. The RND is very versatile, and there should be no problems recording an entire CD with one and getting great results (same with the AMS or the Vintech too).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search