The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motherboard+processor UPGRADE
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Motherboard+processor UPGRADE

Anyone successfully upgraded a motherboard and processor

Without

Re-installing the OS..?????

I've never tried it...I've been told to never try it....
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

works fine, but you'll need to be aware of how to delete all the old drivers to avoid conflicts and possibly how to use the XP Recovery Console. Other than that, it's very straight forward

However, unless there's a compelling reason against it, I'd opt for a fresh install if I could
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Just Trying to save myself about 20-30 hours of work installing Software,
Plugins, instruments and samplers...not to mention doing backups in case it
all falls in a heap.
Old 27th August 2007

good luck - sometimes it works, sometimes not.

i think you need a trusty chicken claw, and some eye of newt....

Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

windows hasn't been plug and play since 95...

something as major as a motherboard and processor change is going to cause the operating system to never load...

do the backups, and spend the time...

a fresh install is always nice
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Re-installing your OS for a hardware upgrade should not wipe out all of your software installations. You're not completely erasing your HD, your just really updating your hardware profile. A good person to ask about this would be Scott from ADK pro audio. He goes by jschild on these boards.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

the underlying issue is that any program that is more than simple (ie, any DAW) uses installed drivers, and when you install them, they give information to the OS on where to find them, what they're used for, etc...

once you reinstall the operating system, you'll still physically have all of the other programs on the hard drive, but it will not run most of them when you attempt it...

blahblahblah.dll can not be found!

etc.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrough View Post
Re-installing your OS for a hardware upgrade should not wipe out all of your software installations. You're not completely erasing your HD, your just really updating your hardware profile. A good person to ask about this would be Scott from ADK pro audio. He goes by jschild on these boards.

Is "jschild" around..???

Any one tried this with success.....

I don't want to spend a week insisting on making it work ..

but if someone has done it, it may save time....
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Make a backup, verify and then make another backup and verify again.

I guess you have very good reasons to avoid a complete reinstall. Last year I replaced a motherboard, processor (from AMD to Intel), memory and videocard.
The PC booted up (Win XP, to my surprise, and worked without problems. But I guess I was lucky..... and when you are replacing your motherboard for one with newer interfaces (PCIe, IDE, SATA) and processor (for example a quadcore instead of single core) you are playing with fire (see the first line of this message).

Did I mention you have to make a backup, verify and then make another backup and verify again?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search