The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Andrew W.K. "I Get Wet"
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Andrew W.K. "I Get Wet"

love the wall of sound mixdown on this record, all I know though is that Mike Shipley mixed it ...

anyone know if the drums on this are sampled?

(oh, does anyone have any versions from this album 'premixed')
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

hi
I made the album with andrew in my basement in Minneapolis.
I also hired mike shipley to mix based on my previous experiences with him the year before. He totally kicked ass. The drums were combinations of real playing and samples depending on the song. Some stuff came from other sessions awk had done before me. But most of that was severely f'd with. Also I was on os9 64 tracklimit and everysong required 2 pt rigs to mix (this was way back in 01). But i am really proud of my work on i get wet. Awk, jimmy coup and I had a blast!!

jrf
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

woah, very nice work! what amp heads/cabs did you guys use (mics?)

i read somewhere that saxophones were layered with guitars and a lot of other stuff too?

(wait, also .. wanna hook up a clip pre-mixing?)
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Amps? Not so much. Mostly tech21 sansamp. Bass too (my 61 jazz). And all keyboards/sounds etc came from awks Roland sound canvas. Actually I brought in 2 mpls horn players that went uncredited on some. Credits on the album were totally f'd.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
I too love the sound of this album. Seriously. One of the best sounding rock albums in the last 10 years.

Too bad AWKs newer releases aren't nearly as strong.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

I never really dug his music, but ive seen a few interviews with him, and hes a very interesting guy. Definately has a message. Any wierd stories while working with him?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Sorry I read my post, and it came off wrong. I never really dug his music from a music standpoint. I think the production was great.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I love this album!

John,

This record has been a favorite of mine as well since it came out. It actually does make for great party music. At the time the reviewers couldn't tell if AWK was totally serious, or if the whole thing was meant to be sort of a joke. I've always believed there's quite a bit of intentional comedy in there. Example: The circus-like happy sounding keyboards all over the song "Ready to Die". It's as if AWK decided to do a parody of a Slayer song with campy-morbid lyrics over happy-heavy music. I've always pictured AWK and the producer in the control room laughing hysterically at what they were creating. Am I correct? I've always wondered.

As for a complement, I've always been in awe of how much talent it must have taken from everybody to create that ironic happy/heavy sound.

Thanks for answering questions-very cool of you. I enjoyed your responses on the Switchfoot thread as well (also awesome sounding stuff).
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

thanks !
i get wet was no joke.
i have never worked with an artist with that much conviction, direction and drive to get the sound he had in his head onto CD. awk is a super muso and conceptualist. and he was 21 to boot! ready to die is one of my faves too - the keyboard intro is like from a 1982 video game! we spent 6 weeks in minnesota and shipley mixed it in a few weeks about a song a day at record one in sherman oaks CA.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I dont think Ive listened to any other album this decade as much as I have listened to that one. Excellent work, and thanks to all involved!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarbass View Post
I never really dug his music, but ive seen a few interviews with him, and hes a very interesting guy. Definately has a message. Any wierd stories while working with him?
Hung out with him for a day a few years ago...he's a real nice guy and certainly not what you would expect from watching the videos (meaning, he was really m e l l o w). His music isn't my cuppa tea, thought I can respect the talent.

Tried to buy me a drink, but I beat him to it and he was very grateful for the drink.

So the only weird thing was him being fairly normal.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Love his raw, wild energy.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

I got to mix him live at a show last weekend. It wasn't his normal band. Just him, a Roland RD-700 keyboard, and iPod backing tracks. He was a very nice guy and totally chill off stage. I don't really care too much for the music either, but maybe if I heard a non-MP3 version that wasn't squashed to death, I could appreciate the layers a little more. It was amazing that he managed to maintain some keyboard technique amidst all the headbanging and dancing on stage. He definitely has some chops.

Cheers,

Rappy
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
. It was amazing that he managed to maintain some keyboard technique amidst all the headbanging and dancing on stage. He definitely has some chops.

Cheers,

Rappy
He was classically trained....I think.
Old 1st August 2010
Gear Addict

yeah this record is impeccable. stunning. great job.
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

My friend is guitar teching for Andrew WK currently on warped tour (not a bad gig).

I'll never forget jamming that album on my cd player at school back in the day. This cd was one of the first times I ever really listened intently to an albums production. Great job on all accounts.
Old 7th August 2010
Mho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrius View Post
hi
I made the album with andrew in my basement in Minneapolis.
I also hired mike shipley to mix based on my previous experiences with him the year before. He totally kicked ass. The drums were combinations of real playing and samples depending on the song. Some stuff came from other sessions awk had done before me. But most of that was severely f'd with. Also I was on os9 64 tracklimit and everysong required 2 pt rigs to mix (this was way back in 01). But i am really proud of my work on i get wet. Awk, jimmy coup and I had a blast!!

jrf
Thank you for the great info! Do you remember which guitar (les paul, tele...) did you use on the album? And which mode on the sansamp? And for bass?
Thabk you in advance!!!
Old 7th August 2010
Lives for gear

I thought he'd quit music and started doing motivational speaking?

There's a great conspiracy theory about him:

Who Is Andrew WK? ANDREW WK STEEV MIKE - Chapter One: The Answers
Old 7th August 2010
Gear Addict

im pretty sure andrew wk is just "partying" with his own identity. he's the real deal.
Old 7th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Thank you for the great info! Do you remember which guitar (les paul, tele...) did you use on the album? And which mode on the sansamp? And for bass?
Thabk you in advance!!!
awk had only 1 guitar. a peculiar red 90's les paul with the highest 2 tuning pegs removed. it only had 4 strings which were tuned E-B-E-B or D-A-D-A. most guitar tracks were cut direct thru a sansamp PSA1 rack unit.
same with the bass which he played on my 1961 fender jazz.
as for which sansamp mode? it was just "start turnin knobs til it sounds good".

jrf
Old 9th August 2010
Mho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrius View Post
awk had only 1 guitar. a peculiar red 90's les paul with the highest 2 tuning pegs removed. it only had 4 strings which were tuned E-B-E-B or D-A-D-A. most guitar tracks were cut direct thru a sansamp PSA1 rack unit.
same with the bass which he played on my 1961 fender jazz.
as for which sansamp mode? it was just "start turnin knobs til it sounds good".

jrf
Great!!!
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

I highly recommend following awk on Twitter. Very funny stuff.
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

Andrew W.K. "I Get Wet"

Andrew wk is one of the greatest people I have ever met
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Humphrey View Post
The equipment used on AWK and Spineshank was a combination of quite a few amps and guitars layered together. The signal was split to the Diezel-Vh4, Naylor-super drive 60, Vintage Marshall etc.. through a variety of 4/12 vintage and non vintage cabinets. The signal would get split again to a variety of combo amps, Vox-AC30, Matchless, Vox-Viscount, Star etc.. Mics used, 57's 421's. A combination of 1073 and 1081 Neve's were used for the preamp and eq and then all signals were blended on the SSL to a single record track. Vocals on AWK was recorded with a u47 and a Manley Vox.
The layering on the record was really over the top, and I tried to convince AWK to give it more dynamics and contrast but he insisted that it be full on at all times..
Btw, I haven't heard anything about Andrew recording in a closet...haha!!
Scott Humphrey said there were multiple real amps on the record, no mention of a sans amp...? -- what roles did you guys have in recording the album?
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Addict

to answer my own question from 2 years ago, here's AWK in a recent interview:

It was two years of pretty consistent work. It began in New York on my own, then I went to Hollywood to work with the incredible producer and engineer Scott Humphrey. At that time he had recently gotten really into snowboarding, so he decided he wanted to move his whole studio to Aspen, Colorado. We followed him and recorded there for a couple months. Then we went to Minneapolis to get the songs ready for mixing with an amazing producer and musician named John Fields, then went back to Los Angeles to mix it with the incomparable Mike Shipley.

Hollywood Prospectus Q&A: Andrew W.K. on Bloody Noses, His Pre-show Rituals, and the 10th Anniversary of 'I Get Wet' - Hollywood Prospectus Blog - Grantland

I would still be interested to know how the songs/sounds evolved from AWK's NYC bedroom to Scott's LA/Aspen studio to Mr. Fields studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search