The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best monitors under and around $4k/pair??? Upgrading my Genelec 1031A's. Studio Monitors
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear
Best monitors under and around $4k/pair??? Upgrading my Genelec 1031A's.

Hey guys I'm looking for the best monitors under and around $4,000 a pair to replace my genelec 1031A's any thoughts? So far I'm leaning towards the dynaudio air15's.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

PMC TB2S - A

in that price range one monitor really stand out IMHO:

PMC TB2A (actives) exactly 4K in australia.

i carefully auditioned them in a treated mix room and then two friends each bought a pair for their studios so i have spent quite a while listening to them.

obviously monitors are v. subjective and dependent upon the music you are producing. so all i will say is make sure you listen to the PMC before making a decision. v. impressive sound for the money.

a few people on the mastering forums have mentioned these moitors as entry level mastering monitors which i think indicates the accuracy and detail of these monitors.

Spek
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Do you mean PMC TB2S-A? Is it this one for only $1530 each in USA?: PMC TB2S-A Integrated Active System Monitor (Single)
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
Do you mean PMC TB2S-A? Is it this one for only $1530 each in USA?: PMC TB2S-A Integrated Active System Monitor (Single)
yes that is them.

easily the best monitor i have listen to this year for under 4K.

chck out other PMC threads on this site.

the Focal Twins are also worth a listen but the PMC is what i would buy if buying moniotrs again in the under 4K price range.

Spek

ps note the price is for a SINGLE monitor not a pair.

Last edited by Spec; 27th August 2007 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: spelling again
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Just out of curiosity have you listened to the dynaudio stuff in the same price range how does it compare?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just out of curiosity have you listened to the dynaudio stuff in the same price range how does it compare?
no the only dynaudio i have experience with are the little BM6A MKI.

my suspicion is that the dynaudio will be a v. different design philosophy to the PMC hence worth a listen for different perspective.

also chck-out the other PMC threads on this site. almost zero negative comments. as i mentioned those monitors get favourably mentioned on the mastering forums now and then.

Spek

ps just had a look at the Air 15. yes i can "see" v. different approach to monitors. i imagine the Air 15 have a big upfront low end presence. thats not what you get with the pmc. the PMC have plenty of low end extension but not in a really upfront manner i imagine you get with those dynaudio - 10 inch driver and 126 db- hold on to your chair!!!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the BM6a's with a sub and my colleague has 1031a's and we did a lot of comparisons.
The bass extension on the bm6a's is not nearly as deep (hence we are using the sub) but we both prefer the upper mid detail on the dynaudios but there isn't a huge amount of difference.

If you can't push it to $5k (to get the Adam S3a's, which are astonishing) then you could look at the Adam P33a's at around $3k a pair.
I would try to stretch it though.

You pay about the same for the S3a's as you do for the Genelec 1032s- the Adam's are a much better sounding speaker- the bottom end has to be heard to be believed- you probably want a decent sized control room though.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking for the best monitors under and around $4,000 a pair to replace my genelec 1031A's any thoughts? So far I'm leaning towards the dynaudio air15's.
I predict that this thread will be 13 pages long!

Here's my 2bits.

Klein & Hummel 0300
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Anyone compare the Adam's vs. the PMC's?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Did you like the Genelec's? $4000 is alot to spend without auditioning some monitors in your own control room. What about the newer Genelec's if you like the older ones. The 8050A's would be in your budget. The Dynaudio's will sound good. I owned the Air 6's some time ago and noticed they sounded better using the digital inputs as opposed to the analog inputs. This surprised me but I suppose the D/A in the monitors were designed together with the whole system and perhaps it's better to use them the way Dynaudio intended. In addition, I was using RME converters at the time and they weren't the best converters. Also, are you using a subwoofer? Is it digital and will it interface with the Air series? This was why I opted to get rid of mine. I had a analog only sub and it required me to use the analog inputs of the Dyn's and I knew I wasn't maximizing their usage and I was getting a lesser quality sound. Seems anal but that's why they're not with me anymore. Just make sure they integrate well with your system. When going in analog, the Air's convert the signal to digital, then back again to analog to send to the speakers. I presume this is the reason they sound better when using the digital inputs.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Adam S2a

I decided to go the Adam route. I've several friends with the 1030's and 1031's but personally I prefer the Adams. If all fairness I only quickly test listened to other top brands in a store. As an alternative to the S3a's, you might consider a 2.1 system with 2 S2a's and a sub 8 or 10. It would be a little cheaper and in my opinion better sounding.

Good luck!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin View Post
Did you like the Genelec's? $4000 is alot to spend without auditioning some monitors in your own control room. What about the newer Genelec's if you like the older ones. The 8050A's would be in your budget. The Dynaudio's will sound good. I owned the Air 6's some time ago and noticed they sounded better using the digital inputs as opposed to the analog inputs. This surprised me but I suppose the D/A in the monitors were designed together with the whole system and perhaps it's better to use them the way Dynaudio intended. In addition, I was using RME converters at the time and they weren't the best converters. Also, are you using a subwoofer? Is it digital and will it interface with the Air series? This was why I opted to get rid of mine. I had a analog only sub and it required me to use the analog inputs of the Dyn's and I knew I wasn't maximizing their usage and I was getting a lesser quality sound. Seems anal but that's why they're not with me anymore. Just make sure they integrate well with your system. When going in analog, the Air's convert the signal to digital, then back again to analog to send to the speakers. I presume this is the reason they sound better when using the digital inputs.
I do like the Genelecs but I was never crazy about them
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Has anybody had any experience with the Hot House PRM165's through a good amp?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
Well it seems I can narrow my options to:

PMC TBS2A $3000/pair
Klein & Hummel 0300D $4300/pair
Bowers & Wilkins 805s $2500/pair

Can anyone sway me either way? I wish there was a way I can hear them side by side.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear
Well I just went to guitar center today and they happened to have a pair of PMC AML-1's. I listened to a cd of my band's music (can be heard at Welcome to Mantra Band Site) and they were the most amazing speakers I have ever listened to. I liked them more the the $50,000 KEF speakers at trutone mastering in manhattan. In fact I liked them so much that I decided there is no way I can use them as reference monitors. They made my crappy mix that was recorded in a crappy noisy room with crappy cables and crappy mics and crappy preamps into a crappy converter and summed with a crappy summer sound like I was the greatest engineer ever. It was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. The depth and the separation of the instruments was stunning. Completely lifelike is the best way to describe it as if the instruments were right there in front of me with all their 3d image. It was like a 3d hologram. Those speakers really do make a reality of their own. Like you are looking into another universe when you are listening to them. However I would only want to own a pair for listening purposes and to impress clients. So I guess I narrowed it down to a choice between Klein & Hummel and Bowers and Wilkins. Can anybody sway me either way or make another recommendation?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

not much love for the focals?????????????????
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
not much love for the focals?????????????????
Didn't consider them as I am new to all these brands so please enlighten me. How do the focal twins compare with K&H and B&W?
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

DynAudio BM15 Passives and a Bryston 4BST. Then go out and get the Dyn 12s sub.
Done.
Old 3rd October 2007
Here for the gear

PMC vs Dynaudio

I have been comparing Dynaudio Air 15's to PMC.

The PMCs are more honest I think. I bought the Dynaudio set though, their sound is a bit 'bigger'. That helps me when I compose. If you only mix though, I'd go for the PMC's....

Cheers, Poly

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search