The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
neumann sm69 questions Condenser Microphones
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

neumann sm69 questions

There isn't much info on this mic around here. I was under the assumption that it is basically a stereo u87. Although, the only post I could find on gearslutz about it suggests that it is closely related to the u67(which i don't think so).

Can anyone clear this up, and offer an opinion on this mic?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

i cant tell you for real what it really is, but google should know pretty well. theres a fet version and a tube version. i used it 2-4 times in my life and its a kickass mic. i did get a real good deal on a akgc422 which is a " stereo " mic as well and i NEVER wanna miss it again.

Georg Neumann GmbH - Produkte/Hist. Mikrophone//

Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

how much did you pay for the c422?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

or rather, how much do they usually go for?
Old 27th August 2007
One with big hooves

There are two versions of the SM69... a tube one & a FET. The U67 is kinda similar to a U87... one being tube & the other being FET among other differences in the circuits.

Hope that helps?!

Last edited by Jay Kahrs; 27th August 2007 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: clarity!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
I was under the assumption that it is basically a stereo u87. Although, the only post I could find on gearslutz about it suggests that it is closely related to the u67(which i don't think so).
From what I know, it (SM 69 FET) has got a similar capsule to the u67. I have never used a 67, and from my experience with 80's U87s, our 69 sounded quite different from the 87 (ofcourse, taking into consideration age, conditon, etc.). Either way, the SM 69 FET is a gem of a mic.
Old 27th August 2007
I personally own two sm69 fets...a great mic. Sounds a lot like a 70's U87 in stereo to me.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

The SM69 is the best stereo tube microphone out there. The sound would be very similar to two U67's. The fet version is great as well but more similar to two U87's.

Second would be an AKG C24. Practically the same price as a C12.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Interesting. I've got an SM69 fet too. Sounds better to me than the U87s I've owned. Amazingly versatile mic too.

I also recall a conversation I had with Klaus Heyne some years ago where he basically said he'd prefer a (modified) fet to the tube version. Having used a Klaus-modded tube version several times, that's saying something!

-dave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search