The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best timestretch/looping software Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

best timestretch/looping software

I recently sold my trusty mpc 2k and am trying to move with the times and work more ITB.
One of the biggest things i relied on the MP was for looping and then timestretching old 70s melodies, breaks, 4 bar sections...etc.
Are there any software programs that do this really well?
I have looked into propelerhead recycle but the timestretch on that is slightly different.... it cuts things into slices then timestretches.... i dont know how this would work with looping and timestretching whole instumental sections.... for drums its perfect but for a section with bass, drums, keys etc im a bit sceptical. I need some feedback on that one... how is it?

Are there any alternatives? i am fairly new to software and really have only had experience with cubase so other programs are a little bit alien to me.

blessings
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

celemony_ :: News - Melodyne Studio
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendecido View Post

Are there any alternatives? i am fairly new to software and really have only had experience with cubase so other programs are a little bit alien to me.

blessings
you might want to look into Serato Pitch N Time
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

been messing with the melodyne demo and it seems it isnt geared towards making loops. my initial move on the mp is to make a perfect loop (2 bar for example) this would give me the tempo.... i would then set the new tempo and voila there you have it. Melodyne doesnt seem to work this way. Or maybe im not use 2 all this software. Its a mad transition hardware to software. all i want is something that does things in the process i said above and well. Melodyne looks super complicated

You need to have an ilok for the pitch n time demo.... but does it allow you to make loops easily or as i described
thanks
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Cubase

has excellent time stretching and beat counting features...

read the manual, the part called "hitpoints" and "time stretching"

Try it while you read cause it doesn't make sense straight away
and FXpansion GURU.......
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

ive found the timestretch on cubase to be really bad. The audio starts crackling and you get unwanted distortion when you even do a 20 bpm timestretch. i use cubase le though
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

For looping, I've been using Acid Pro for so long it would be hard to switch to something different.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
SONAR rocks for time stretching. I did some pretty drastic stretching in front of a band I just recorded and we all could not tell even a fraction of quality loss.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

the thing is i use a mac
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Ableton Live is what you want...great real time time stretching and composition tools.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I use Cubase4, which is my favorite DAW for midi and effects and mixing.

I bought Melodyne for the superior tuning, formant shifting and time stretching.

I see an important distinction between "making loops" and "using loops".

If making loops from one-shot samples and instruments, Cubase4 rocks.

For tuning and time-stretching already made loops, Melodyne is fine - you can even quantise audio timing - e.g. take a straight drum loop and give it shuffle. Each individual hit is converted to a 'blob', which can be moved, stretch, tuned, format shifted - enormous sound sculpting tools. As well as all the ordinary stuff that practically any DAW can do (cut & paste etc).

I'm not sure what your expectations really are, but Melodyne is work a closer look. Between Cubase4 and Melodyne I can't see what else anyone would really need - these two programs are very deep.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

another vote for ABLETON LIVE

this program is great

excellent workflow, user friendly, cool features

haven't compared the quality of timestretching, but you can do it by yourself - there's a free demo on ableton's website (with save disabled)

... and it's trendy to use ableton now heh
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Low budget, and works well is "Sony ACID Music Studio".

Great loops support, and very good time stretch, and pitch adjustment capabilities. And the best tutorials in the business.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ummm.

Ableton Live.

best of all.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendecido View Post
ive found the timestretch on cubase to be really bad. The audio starts crackling and you get unwanted distortion when you even do a 20 bpm timestretch. i use cubase le though
I could be wrong here... I use Cubase SX3 and have several options for time-stretching algorithms and quality levels and such. It's my understanding the LE doesn't have the higher quality options, only the lower quality ones. Again, I could be wrong...
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Live for ease of workflow and loop orientated timestretching.
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted User #106149
I haven't found a decent Timestretching tool, could really do with one.

Cubase is pretty bad anywhere over 3/4 bpm and i doubt Sonar or Abelton beats Steinbergs'. I have a Waves timestretching plugin which looks promising but it eats ridiculous amounts of RAM. Just bought a 24gb RAM beast from Carillon though so will install it and report back Oh wait... they don't support 64 Bit yet :(

Last edited by wcb123; 24th December 2010 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention Waves plugins work in both realtime and offline. Have only tested realtime hence the massive RAM
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

best timestretch/looping software

Abelton Live +1
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
Live +100

Seriously, I see more of that program than any other.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search