The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ensemble - Standalone operation
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac
Ensemble - Standalone operation

I'm thinking of getting an Ensemble to use as a standalone A to D/D to A (to/from a lightpipe ADAT signal at 24 bit/44.1 from my MOTU 2403 interface). Two questions:

1. The only Mac I have is the Mac mini in my kid's bedroom. I can use it ocassionaly if I had to change settings, but it's not readily accessible. Assuming I stick with the one routing scheme and sample rate described above, is it practical to use it without a Mac?

2 Anyone have any thoughts on whether the converters in the Ensemble are significantly better than the MOTU to justify the Ensemble cost?
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4001 View Post
I'm thinking of getting an Ensemble to use as a standalone A to D/D to A (to/from a lightpipe ADAT signal at 24 bit/44.1 from my MOTU 2403 interface). Two questions:

1. The only Mac I have is the Mac mini in my kid's bedroom. I can use it ocassionaly if I had to change settings, but it's not readily accessible. Assuming I stick with the one routing scheme and sample rate described above, is it practical to use it without a Mac?

2 Anyone have any thoughts on whether the converters in the Ensemble are significantly better than the MOTU to justify the Ensemble cost?
Have you read the manual for the ensemble? I suggest you download it from Apogee and see if yours queery is answered.

From what i know though the ensemble is mac only so everytime you want to change something you will need to plug it into the mac.

Have you considered the RME fireface 800? Might be worth looking at.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

I change my Ensemble set-up a few times a month at least when tracking at studios that only have PC's. It is really easy to configure Ensemble to use in stand alone mode. You set it up once and then leave it.

About the quality vs. anything by motu- there is no contest. I will never let my stuff go through one of those boxes after hearing it through the Apogee. The blanket is now off the speakers- it is that different. This box is worth at least $4000 IMHO.
Old 19th September 2007
Here for the gear

I have a new ensemble that I cannot configure to work with my 002R. I can't get the 002r to clock from the apogee via adat/smux. When I select optical for the clock source, ProTools tells me that it has lost communication with the interface and/or my clock is invalid. I have configured the optical outputs on the apogee via Maestro and Audio Midi setup as described in the manual.

Is anyone else using the 002r with and ensemble in stand-alone mode successfully?

PT 7.3.1
OSX 10.4.10
Old 19th September 2007
DAS
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by producerboi View Post
I have a new ensemble that I cannot configure to work with my 002R. I can't get the 002r to clock from the apogee via adat/smux. When I select optical for the clock source, ProTools tells me that it has lost communication with the interface and/or my clock is invalid. I have configured the optical outputs on the apogee via Maestro and Audio Midi setup as described in the manual.

Is anyone else using the 002r with and ensemble in stand-alone mode successfully?

PT 7.3.1
OSX 10.4.10
What sample rate are you trying to get it to clock to? The 002 and 003 do not do smux.
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
What sample rate are you trying to get it to clock to? The 002 and 003 do not do smux.

And to expand on this, single ADAT lightpipe only carries up to 8 channels at 48k. Digi does not support smux, so 48k limit.
Old 24th September 2007
Here for the gear

I figured it out, but I flamed a TON of time on the solve. Turns out my Digidesign CoreAudio Manager was set to a sample rate different than my 002 hardware prefs. When I reset the Manager, the 002 clocked from the Ensemble without a hitch. I thought that I was ready to rock but then I met another problem.

I had a heck of a time setting up the i/o matrix on the Ensemble. You can only do it through the Maestro software. A prolonged brain fart kept me trying to configure it 'backwards' for 2 days. Really. A quick call to Brett Patrick at Apogee solved the whole thing easily. Brett sent me a screen shot of the proper i/o settings. Now I'm rocking. Thanks, Brett! Apogee's help (along with Nathan's help at Atlas Pro Audio) was much appreciated. It seems, however, like it would have been easy for Apogee to have this setup information in it's manual or on it's site. There are a lot of people who would like to use the Ensemble as an additional/alternative front end on their 002, and it does NOT come configured to light up automatically in StandAlone mode.

The effort was worth it. I cut vocals using a Vintec pre, distressor, and a Blue Baby Bottle. There was no comparison with the same chain through the 002--the new tracks had a much smoother and more focused mid range and tighter low end. The D/A section has a similar sound.

Woot!
Old 27th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by producerboi View Post
I figured it out, but I flamed a TON of time on the solve. Turns out my Digidesign CoreAudio Manager was set to a sample rate different than my 002 hardware prefs. When I reset the Manager, the 002 clocked from the Ensemble without a hitch. I thought that I was ready to rock but then I met another problem.

I had a heck of a time setting up the i/o matrix on the Ensemble. You can only do it through the Maestro software. A prolonged brain fart kept me trying to configure it 'backwards' for 2 days. Really. A quick call to Brett Patrick at Apogee solved the whole thing easily. Brett sent me a screen shot of the proper i/o settings. Now I'm rocking. Thanks, Brett! Apogee's help (along with Nathan's help at Atlas Pro Audio) was much appreciated. It seems, however, like it would have been easy for Apogee to have this setup information in it's manual or on it's site. There are a lot of people who would like to use the Ensemble as an additional/alternative front end on their 002, and it does NOT come configured to light up automatically in StandAlone mode.

The effort was worth it. I cut vocals using a Vintec pre, distressor, and a Blue Baby Bottle. There was no comparison with the same chain through the 002--the new tracks had a much smoother and more focused mid range and tighter low end. The D/A section has a similar sound.

Woot!

Glad to hear you finally worked it out with the Ensemble difficulties.
Apogee tech support is excellent.
Old 27th September 2007
Here for the gear

Hi Producerboi,

I can't figure out how to configure my 002r to work with the Ensemble, even after reading the Maestro Manual, the Ensemble Manual, hunting on the forums. I've been working on this for two weeks! Can you post the screenshot or give anymore counsel? I went to the DigiCore Manager and made sure the sample rate was the same as in my session. I'm trying to clock the 002r off the Ensemble's optical spdif output with the sample rate at 88.2. What am I doing wrong? Thanks so much and I'm thrilled you got it to work.
Old 27th September 2007
Here for the gear

Ok. Producerboi, I'm walking in your footsteps: Audio Midi set up was configured wrong for the Ensemble and after switching it to 88.2, I'm able to clock the 002r off it...but my i/o must still be configured wrong in Maestro, PTLE, or both because I still can't get any audio into PTLE. Thanks.
Old 27th September 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Are you only trying to get 2 tracks via spdif? 002r will not do 88.2k on the ADATs....
Old 27th September 2007
Here for the gear

That's right; I'm only trying to do 2 tracks via spdif. Thanks
Old 28th September 2007
Here for the gear

Dude. I'm sorry everybody. All i had left to do was turn up the master output in the maestro mixer. I'm rolling now.
Old 27th January 2008
Here for the gear

Please Someone Show me how to Setup My Ensemble with 002r

I'm having a tough time Setting up my Ensemble as my Front End for PTLE 7.4

Can someone help me out with a step by step ???

Please Please?
Old 28th January 2008
Here for the gear

I got it

Managed to grab screenshot of the Maestro interface.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search