The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage C414 Mikes Condenser Microphones
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

Vintage C414 Mikes

Hi, I just purchased two first generation C414's from a friend who used to own a studio. My studio does narration recording only and we have BULS and XLS versions of the C414.

These mikes are the ones with the DIN connector and then a lower housing that thumbwheels on to the bottom of the mike.

Does anyone have any idea what the rough value of these are? I paid $700 for each one, but have been unable to find anything on the web (ebay, etc.) with value info.

Thanks, and I look forward to becoming an active member here. My specialties are in interactive training and educational projects.

Steve
Old 26th August 2007

I have a pair of those and would expect that the value would be in the $1,000 to $1,500 range each if it is mint (and of course with original capsule) and less with any condition issues.
Old 26th August 2007

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-C414-with-Or...QQcmdZViewItem

Well, here's somebody that thinks they are worth a whole lot more! No bids though.
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

very interesting. I'll watch it to see if it sells. Mine aren't in mint condition as far as the case is concerned, plus my plan isn't to sell them. However if I could get close to $2K apiece and bought them for $700, well... um.... errrrrr.
heh

Thanks Rick!
Old 21st October 2008
Here for the gear

Well here it is over a year later and I have not used these mikes at all. They both work great, neither looks great however.

I would entertain any offers to sell them as money is tight right now. If you're interested and want me to look inside, supply the serial numbers, or take pictures, please let me know.

I'm in the Boston area.

Thanks!
Old 21st October 2008
Lives for gear

Do they have the original brass capsule CK-12s? Many of the early C412s and C414s had theirs replaced (I have such a C414 with a teflon ring capsule) due to the failure of the original or harvesting to put in another mic that uses a CK-12 (E LAM 251, C12, etc). I think the Teflon version sounds superior to all later 414 models but its the ones with the brass capsule that shine.
Old 21st October 2008
Here for the gear

Yup, I have them FS on another thread with pictures and a few offers already.

FS 2 Vintage original AKG C414 microphones
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear Guru

if they have the brass capsules you will be very very happy with them. Basically they are the same capsules as the legendary C12's. Once they went to the white plastic ones, they were never as 'magical' a the originals.
Old 22nd October 2008
Vogon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Do they have the original brass capsule CK-12s? Many of the early C412s and C414s had theirs replaced (I have such a C414 with a teflon ring capsule) due to the failure of the original or harvesting to put in another mic that uses a CK-12 (E LAM 251, C12, etc). I think the Teflon version sounds superior to all later 414 models but its the ones with the brass capsule that shine.
AFAIK there *are* only 3 capsules:
The brass cap, after that all newer models use one of two teflon caps: the first and second (brighter) teflon - used in the TL-II and C12VR.
The X-series, I don't know...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search