The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How does Lavry Blue inface with a computer and microphone? Audio Interfaces
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

How does Lavry Blue inface with a computer and microphone?

So I have an Apogee Mini Me and am thinking of getting the lavry ad da blue. Right now I'm using the Apogee Via firewire. Would I have to have a sound card with something like s/pdif to use the Lavry? Also, I'm trying to find a picture of the back of the unit. I'm confused if I just stick the microphone, or instrument jack into the back of the Lavry?
Old 26th August 2007
The lavry is just a converter. You need a pre amp or DI to raise your signal to line level before you AD it.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Yes, I have a DI and preamp, but I'm wondering how it interacts with the pre. Forexample, with the Mini Me I just plug either an XLR or instrument cable to the back of the unit. But I'm a bit confused as to what gets plugged into the Lavry. I was looking for a picture of the back of the unit but can't find anything.
Old 26th August 2007
that's because the minime is a pre and a converter (I understand). your chain will now be mic>pre>lavry so you go from your pre outs to your lavry ins.

(The unasked question here is why... but I'm not going to ask it)
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

i get so depressed when i see these kinda posts. making my music with a ff800 and a mac that's about to die. can't even think about buying a lavry but sure know how it works.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Sorry, I just don't know if it was like a Lynx Aurora where you need a Dsub cable. I didn't mean to offend you.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

The Lavry does not have a USB or Firewire output. It outputs AES format digital through a single male XLR connector.

You would indeed need a sound card that accepts AES digital input (check out Lynx). Also, the Lavry blue (M-AD-824) does not have mic pres, though Lavry does make a line of mic pres.

If you're really set on getting the Lavry, you could sell the Mini-Me and buy a Metric Halo ULN2 (with our without DSP) - it has 2 very good mic pres, AES and Firewire I/O.

Or you could get creative . . .
If you have a computer with SPDIF optical I/O (Like a MacBook, or Mac Pro) the Lavry output is compatible with SPDIF, and can be converted from XLR to RCA via an adapter. You could convert the coax SPDIF out of the Lavry to TOSlink optical with an M-Audio CO2 box, then go into your computer that way. What could possibly go wrong with that?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryLoud View Post
The Lavry does not have a USB or Firewire output. It outputs AES format digital through a single male XLR connector.

You would indeed need a sound card that accepts AES digital input (check out Lynx). Also, the Lavry blue (M-AD-824) does not have mic pres, though Lavry does make a line of mic pres.

If you're really set on getting the Lavry, you could sell the Mini-Me and buy a Metric Halo ULN2 (with our without DSP) - it has 2 very good mic pres, AES and Firewire I/O.

Or you could get creative . . .
If you have a computer with SPDIF optical I/O (Like a MacBook, or Mac Pro) the Lavry output is compatible with SPDIF, and can be converted from XLR to RCA via an adapter. You could convert the coax SPDIF out of the Lavry to TOSlink optical with an M-Audio CO2 box, then go into your computer that way. What could possibly go wrong with that?
Thank you NotVeryLoud!! What's up with all the attitude? This place amazes me sometimes!!!!tutttutt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search