The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which mic "cuts through" the most Condenser Microphones
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

which mic "cuts through" the most

im about to buy a new mic. which would you suggest
a Pelsuso VTB (carbon copy c800g,apparently),gefell m930 or neumann tlm 103
I need the mic which has most "cut through" like character. which will allow vocals to cut through dense hip hop mixes. assume the VTB is a c800g. after my conversation with John Peluso he stated that their is a maximum of +1 or -1db difference throughout the freq range between the vtb and the 800. ive been told the sound varies slightly between all 800s anyway so consider it an 800
many blessings
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yea i heard things about the vtb being like a c800g. I have to hear for myself tho. Alot of gear pimps like to give a new mic alot of hype. I doubt it sounds like a c800g, esp since how the c800g is powered. But i guess i'll have to try and find out..
Old 25th August 2007
The Peluso P12 should cut through
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Neumann U87 always cuts through for me. I only ever use it with a descent tube pre for vocals though. Avalon VT737 and U87 are a great combo IMO.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Blue Kiwi.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

it depends on the mix
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

never really like the c800 thing.

If you've already got a u87, maybe try buying the innertube tube kit for it... Pretty cool sounding stuff if I may say so myself.

That aside, i think eq can make a vocal cut through the mix better than choosing any one mic or preamp
Old 26th August 2007
Quote:
it depends on the mix
...and the vocal!
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkpantscamino View Post
it depends on the mix

Ovbiously. Otherwise, you could use the one mic that cuts through on everything and have an instant perfect mix.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
never really like the c800 thing.

If you've already got a u87, maybe try buying the innertube tube kit for it... Pretty cool sounding stuff if I may say so myself.

That aside, i think eq can make a vocal cut through the mix better than choosing any one mic or preamp
I sold my u87 a while back due to financial troubles. I currently only have a peluso 22 251. thats perfect for singers but for rappers- i find the mids a little bit too scooped.

the reason im looking at the VTB (c800g) is because to me it sounds punchy as hell.
watch this video from 1:57 to 2:20. Its nas recording in the studio with a c800g. For the first 10 to 20 seconds it shows him in the booth rapping - the voice picked up by the camera then hafway thru the verse it cuts to the actual recording and to me it seems the c800g makes his vocals way more punchy then he actually delivered them.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Chh2B0o2nSU
obvyesly the compression adds to the punch but the recording sounds so much punchier than his actual performance- that it cannot be due to just compression. Im thinking the c800g has alot to do with it.
Tell me what you guys think.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search