The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPDIF from external AD to Motu 2408MK3 ????How do I hook it up?? Control Surfaces
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

SPDIF from external AD to Motu 2408MK3 ????How do I hook it up??

I'm sorry for this doublepost, but I thought maybe this belonged in here instead of High End...

I really need help!!

We just bought a Waves MaxxBCL....and I can't get the SPDIF signal to pop up in logic....I don't even know if it is a Motu-SetupThing och if it is a Logic-SetupThingy...!? And I can't find the Motu 2408MK3 manual.....

The Chain is: Analog 5-6 out from Motu -> bunch of analog gear -> analog input on the Waves MaxxBCL -> digital output (spdif) of the MaxxBCL -> digital input (spdif) of the Motu-Interface....

Does anyone know how to hook this up? don't wanna go thru first DA to analog gear, then AD to Waves, then DA from Waves and the AD in the Motu....feels wrong....
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear
in your motu pci audio setup control panel, select sp/dif in one of the banks of 8 i/o (i believe it is only available on bank "c", but i can't remember exactly); this will make the sp/dif i/o take the place of one of those banks. once selected, you can check the boxes to activate the in and out for the sp/dif interface.

quite straightforward once you're in the control panel program; you'll be able to find it with a little messing around the pull-down menus if the foregoing doesn't do it.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

thnx,

I've done what you said, and I hear the signal in the "cuemix"-thing when I unmute the spdif-channels tha popped up there(so I know the signal comes back in to the motu interface).... but I still get no signal into Logic....

this is totaly new to me, since I've never used any digital outboardgear....so I'm kindof in the dark here....

In the "interface options" I can set "bank to mirror on analog"....but I don't notice any difference when I change it...!? maybe thats not relevant?

I got the spdif selected in banck C, and input/output 1-2 is enabled.....

Am I supposed to do anything within logic?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
in logic you should create an audio input object, select the inputs that the sp/dif is coming in on (hint: if you've activated all 18 of the 2408's i/o in the PCI control panel, it'll be 17 and 18). this will create an audio object in logic for that input, enabling you to use it as any other channel input (with in-line effects, etc. in real-time, sends, etc.). i have abandoned my mixing board to this method, with a big logic control interface in its place. up and running, it's great, but creating that environment amounted to a gargantuan pain in the ass -- i have a 2408, 24i/o and 24i. loads of real-time audio inputs.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

thanks for the help....I found the problem.
I didn't realise I had to "re-activate" all the motu-inputs i logic (via somekind of setup-menu)..after I'd done that everything worked out just fine....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search