The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Channel Strips: Neve vs. API Channel Strips
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Channel Strips: Neve vs. API

Imagine you're the captain of a big pirate ship.

You're in the middle of the ocean and the ship is sinking very slowly. Fortunately, you have a small lifeboat to carry you to the nearest tropical island. The island has magical powers such as 120VAC. Various cables and connectors grow on mogami trees.

Your lifeboat isn't huge, but you've got it loaded up with some essentials. You have your computer gear, the 002, an SM57, an MD421, a U87, an 1176, and a pair of powered monitors.

There's only enough room left for one preamp/tracking eq channel strip. Will you take your API 7600 or your Averill 1073?
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

7600. It has an extra compressor for more colours. I fail to make it sound bad on anything. Having said that, I have never used an Averill 1073.

The 7600 is especially kick ass when used in conjunction with the API DSM system. Just more versatile IMO.

Old 26th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.T. View Post
There's only enough room left for one preamp/tracking eq channel strip. Will you take your API 7600 or your Averill 1073?
I don't think it's fair to compare the 7600 & 1073, as the 7600 is a channel strip with EQ and compression... I think a better comparison would be the API 7600 & the Aurora Audio GTQC... As they are both true channel strip units.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd take the 1073 because when i get off the island and back to civilization the 1073 will have gone up in price again, and I can sell it for a nice rack of 8 pre's.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Both the BAE 1073 and API 7600 are solid choices but very different sonic signatures making them complimentary to each other.

For a thicker, slower sound I'd go for the BAE 1073.
Great on vocals and all instruments but smooths the transients (which is often a good thing).
Drums sound fat but can sound sludgy/heavy in a great way. Lots of transformer sound and a little dirty.
Very rock'n'roll.

For a punchier, more aggressive sound I'd go with the API 7600.
Great versatile unit that sounds great on just about everything you throw at it.
Drums retain the transient and hammer through making them a great choice for up-tempo tunes.
A little leaner (less iron) and cleaner.
Very rock'n'roll.

Having one of each you'll cover most ground and be extremely satisfied.
Whichever you choose now, I could bet money on that you'll get the other later.

In addition to these, I must confess I prefer the Helios Type69's on drums and a Telefunken V76 for vocals, so you better get those too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search