The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RAID Set UP
Old 25th August 2007
RAID Set UP

I just bought a 4 bank raid system. I am recording at 96k. Should I mirror 2+2 or stripe all 4 together and back up to a external firewire drive. I am on average of 40 tracks on a quad core mac pro.

Thanks
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

Do a raid 5 with three disks. Use the fourth for an online spare. Iff one drive goes down, the spare will kick in and rebuild automaticly (with good raid systems). This is only possible with a hardware raid. Raid six is even better.
Old 25th August 2007
Do you think 3 sata drive will rock 96k 40 tracks.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

I've never tried it so I coldn't say for sure but I don't know what could be faster than a hardware raid five with sata drives.

Maybe a question for Digi.
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

If write performance is important then you want to avoid anything other that striping and mirroring. Write cache on a hardware RAID controller doing level 5 helps when doing bursty writes but audio recording is sustained writes so cache isn't that helpful in this scenario. I'd suggest RAID 0+1. Avoid 1+0. What's the performance of the disks? If I were building an array for recording I'd use WD 10k RPM SATA disks set up as RAID 0 and do daily backups to some 500GB Seagate SATA disks set up as RAID 5 with hot spare. External SAS enclosures are starting to hit the market (the enterpise space anyway) and a number use SATA drives via a SATA/SAS bridge. 3ware has some nice multilane SAS cards to go along with said enclosure.
Old 25th August 2007
0+1 is probably the way to go. Raid5 with less than 5 or 6 drives is not going to give you great performance due to the parity calculations.

You should really have a real backup plan. Using Raid, however redundant, is being irresponsible with your data, if it is used alone.

Hot spares are good for servers that run unattended, as they can build the spare immediately from parity info, but does not make a lot of sense for a workstation machine. You are likely going to be aware of any drive failure immediately and having a hot spare in this instance is a waste of a drive.
Old 25th August 2007
I think I have 7200 rmp hitachi hard drives.

So what is 0+1 do?
Old 25th August 2007
90 tracks 44.1 24bit can be done on a single musicdisk system. I suppose you could use a single audiodisk over sata to test. I think 40 ch. at 96 x 24bit will work without issue.

Then the external enclosure can work as single disks and backup can be done from one disk to another after sessions.

Muziekschuur
Old 25th August 2007
Is this musicdisk and audiodisk some new kind of format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
90 tracks 44.1 24bit can be done on a single musicdisk system. I suppose you could use a single audiodisk over sata to test. I think 40 ch. at 96 x 24bit will work without issue.

Then the external enclosure can work as single disks and backup can be done from one disk to another after sessions.

Muziekschuur
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Since you are running just a few 7200 RPM drives I think a small IDE drive (80 to 120 gig) would be fine for your C: drive (apps and OS) and 2 larger same size SATA drives (400 to 750 gig) in striped RAID (NO MIRROR) for your recording data drive would work best. You can then backup to another IDE drive (maybe in a drive caddy or firewire or USB) for audio backup and if you want to you could even just do backup to DVD's. Keeping a box as lean as possible is the secret to keeping it fast (audio only). If you want to use it for other things then partition your C: drive with all that other stuff and reboot to use it. As for safety an app like Acronis's True Image backup software helps alot. Computers go down, it may make more sense to have an additional box that you use for soft synths/samples that also has a copy of your recording apps so if the first box goes down you can keep going with the session, than to have a mirror array in the main box. This probably makes more economical sense also since that second box will be in use with midi stuff. If you have the bucks then mirror the 2 boxes (same components/setup/apps) so you would just switch a few cables/dongles and be back up. That kind of redundancy is more of a true safety net. The idea of a second box as a redundant safety is still workable with proprietary hardware, just have a PCI entender box and put those cards in there.
Old 25th August 2007
I should explain I am using a mac quad intel with 10 gigs of ram and logic 7.2.3
The raid is 4 banks of hitachi deskstar 7200. There are also three slots open for other sata hard drives inside my mac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search