The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500-series tracking chain 500 Series Preamps
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

500-series tracking chain

I've got a 500-series lunchbox with an A Designs P1 and a Shadow Hills Mono GAMA in it. I'd love to make it a really portable tool to take with me for tracking wherever I go. So I need a compressor and an EQ module.

I mostly record rock (from hard rock to acoustic), but do a certain amount of hip-hop, pop, R&B, etc. as well.

I'd like to make this chain as equally suited as possible for use on vocals, bass, and electric guitar.

So here are my considerations:

Compressor: Buzz Potion or Buzz Essence

EQ: A Designs EM-PEQ or Avedis E27

I'm heavily leaning towards the Potion since I'm a fan of the more aggressive FET compression, and I love the Pultec that the EM-PEQ reflects, but I've heard rave reviews of the E27.

Let me have your opinions on which will be most useful to me in that style of music! Thanks!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabehr View Post
I've got a 500-series lunchbox with an A Designs P1 and a Shadow Hills Mono GAMA in it. I'd love to make it a really portable tool to take with me for tracking wherever I go. So I need a compressor and an EQ module.

I mostly record rock (from hard rock to acoustic), but do a certain amount of hip-hop, pop, R&B, etc. as well.

I'd like to make this chain as equally suited as possible for use on vocals, bass, and electric guitar.

So here are my considerations:

Compressor: Buzz Potion or Buzz Essence

EQ: A Designs EM-PEQ or Avedis E27

I'm heavily leaning towards the Potion since I'm a fan of the more aggressive FET compression, and I love the Pultec that the EM-PEQ reflects, but I've heard rave reviews of the E27.

Let me have your opinions on which will be most useful to me in that style of music! Thanks!
What are you tracking/mixing on? I've used both EQs, but it really would depend on what your tracking to and mixing on.

Overall, I found both EQs to be quite good--the word euphonic comes to mind--but, I can hear the transformer color of the E27s much more than the EM-PEQ.

When I mixed on a Speck Xtramix (a very clean mixer), the E27's came alive. It had nice size and a very nice sound. Great highs--great air. Easy to dial in what your looking for. It didn't work for everything I tried it on, but it was outstanding for hats and overheads, did bass, a B3 organ and electric guitars well. I didn't try it on vox, but it seems it would perform well with both female and male singers in a variety of styles.

I don't think the E27 sounds as good with mixers that have a lot of color.

I only tried the EM-PEQ on an acoustic guitar at someone else's studio--very nice. I did find myself reaching for a mid-range knob a few times (which isn't there), but that's just me. I'm a big fan of Peter's work and absolutely loved the Hammer EQ.

If it were me:
and, I were mixing on a real clean board, I'd get the E27s
and, I were mixing on a more colorful board: I'd get the EM-PEQs.

Good luck.

Laser
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

For tracking only purposes I'd be inclined to stick with the API gear i.e. your mic pre into an API 525 compressor into a 550b eq

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search