The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Have any of you Experienced Hard Drive Spinning Sound Leaked into Tracks? DAW Software
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Have any of you Experienced Hard Drive Spinning Sound Leaked into Tracks?

I have a G5 and recently noticed that a very high pitched sound (which I hear when I put my ear near the computer- it's the hard drive spinning) is leaking into my tracks and speakers. Now the computer is in the other room so I'm not hearing it coming from there. It's very strange, and even when I mute all my outputs to the board ( I mix and track analog) it's still there, so it's not actually going through my audio cables. I'm wondering if it's a grounding problem or something, I've tried rearranging wires/cabling/even turning a lot of different gear off but to no avail. All my power supply and electric is setup properly so I don't think that's it- anyone have any suggestions? Maybe my board's power supply is somehow all of a sudden picking this up?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds like a wiring issue in your studio. Are you on isolated grounds?
Old 24th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

I've had some experience with mac power supplies making this noise. (Our electrical is also split, and set up properly) If you're able, try moving to a different circuit, or try plugging the mac into another power conditioner. I don't know though, maybe it is your hard drive. In that case, I have no idea.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Sounds like a wiring issue in your studio. Are you on isolated grounds?
I know my power is split and was setup by my electrition years ago specifically for what I'm doing. I'm going to try pluggung the computer into another circuit that is not connected to any of my gear and see if that solves it. Funny thing is I even hear it when clicking and dragging the mouse and when the computer is sitting idle it makes no noise...it is without a doubt related to the hard drive spinning.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
I know my power is split and was setup by my electrition years ago specifically for what I'm doing. I'm going to try pluggung the computer into another circuit that is not connected to any of my gear and see if that solves it. Funny thing is I even hear it when clicking and dragging the mouse and when the computer is sitting idle it makes no noise...it is without a doubt related to the hard drive spinning.

Hmm. Could there be a problem with Motherboard? a component or even circuitry
on the motherboard that is allowing the hard drive noise to bleed thru the audio components. It could happen.

Guess the only way to test that out would be to borrow a mac, load your software on it and test away.

Best of luck..
Old 27th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

I had a G5 Dual 2.0 that exhibited this issue. The trick was to disable "napping" on the procesor. I believe if you do a search on apples site you'll find it. It's really wierd, I know. Search for "Chud tools" It's a separate download. There's a tick box there for it.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Hmm. Could there be a problem with Motherboard? a component or even circuitry
on the motherboard that is allowing the hard drive noise to bleed thru the audio components. It could happen.
The thing is it's not coming through any of my audio cables. I unplug every single cable to my mixer and the sound is still there. Of course if I shut off the computer it goes away so I have no doubt it's the computer. I'll figure it out, I still have to try a couple different things...
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I had a G5 Dual 2.0 that exhibited this issue. The trick was to disable "napping" on the procesor. I believe if you do a search on apples site you'll find it. It's really wierd, I know. Search for "Chud tools" It's a separate download. There's a tick box there for it.
That's what I have- a dual G5- older one. I'll check out that setting, but if you mean sleep mode I already have that turned off.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Computer monitor near the console?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Are you using the internal soundcard? Probably a grounding issue - I had similar problems with a PC using an internal soundcard. Inside a computer case is a very noisy electrical environment with all sorts of random current flows going on.

Using external converters is the way to avoid all that - and seriously upgrade your audio quality at the same time.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Boyce View Post
Computer monitor near the console?
Yes indeed, but I don't think I can put it far away enough where it would be still workable. I'll have to try disconnecting it and see if the problem persists.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Are you using the internal soundcard? Probably a grounding issue - I had similar problems with a PC using an internal soundcard. Inside a computer case is a very noisy electrical environment with all sorts of random current flows going on.

Using external converters is the way to avoid all that - and seriously upgrade your audio quality at the same time.
I'm using an Apogee Rosetta/DA-16x with Symphony card.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ouch. OK - are your G5 and Apogee sharing the same power outlet? A difference in grounding circuits might expose your audio cables to noise on the shield.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I used to get that through my G4 and Pro Tools mix setup. I had my rig gone through completely by a couple techs, rewired stuff, etc. The only thing that cured it was to not run the hard drives too full. Crazy, I know. But if the drives worked hard the noise got louder.

Switched computers and to HD, and it went away.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

if you are hearing the noise even when the console is muted, then the noise is either coming from your power amplifier or your powered speakers.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

OK update- it is definitely a power issue. I did have my computer plugged into shared outlets with all my other gear so I plugged it into a completely separate outlet and the sound got significantly worse I also unplugged and removed the computer monitor but that was not the problem. So in conclusion I guess I'm kinda stuck with this as I am not about to start ripping my computer apart, and in actuality the sound is pretty faint- I only start to notice it when I really crank up the volume. It'll add some character to my mixes lol. I'll experiment with trying to free up my hard drive more- maybe messing around with some settings will help.
Old 28th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86523

Here's one link to check out, I'm not finding exactly what we found at the time, but this may help.

I'm not talking about sleep mode, there's a processor control called "napping" that's not available to you unless you're able to find the CHUD tools, but I can't find them now. I think it's kind of a deep Apple thing that they've decided to not make publicly available anymore. It's been a couple years. You might get a new PSU out of it though.

Oh wait, Here it is!

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I once had the same problem with my set up. Let me know.. How full is your hard disk? Back up the hd, format it and try to listen again just with one song! For me that was the trick
Alessio
www.spazisonori.com
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86523

Here's one link to check out, I'm not finding exactly what we found at the time, but this may help.

I'm not talking about sleep mode, there's a processor control called "napping" that's not available to you unless you're able to find the CHUD tools, but I can't find them now. I think it's kind of a deep Apple thing that they've decided to not make publicly available anymore. It's been a couple years. You might get a new PSU out of it though.

Oh wait, Here it is!

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/
Thanks Dan, that's very helpful, I'll put it to use. That second soundfile on the Apple site sounds very similar to what I'm getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessio View Post
I once had the same problem with my set up. Let me know.. How full is your hard disk? Back up the hd, format it and try to listen again just with one song! For me that was the trick
Alessio
www.spazisonori.com
My drive is pretty empty. I'll do the re-formatting as a last resort, but I'm going to try a few more things first.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search