The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beloved songs with sonic faults Audio Interfaces
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Beloved songs with sonic faults

This thread is just for fun. Not meant to be taken too seriously.

List a song or that you love with all of your heart that has bad/weird/distracting sonics. In other words, the song is emotionally great, but the recording or mix leaves something to be desired. In some cases, these "faults" become endearing and inseparable from the song. Arguably, in most cases, this is what happens.

My studio partner TJ's expression is "Juice over tech." Word.

I'll go first.

Elvis Costello's "Veronica"

The snare drum sounds like a metal-shelled piccolo with 2khz cranked 10dB on an SSL console EQ.

The song is transcendent genius (Costello/McCartney composition!). And Kevin Killen, T Bone Burnett, and Mitchell Froom are obviously deities.

But that snare!!... Was nobody listening?...

Okay, you go.

- c
Old 24th August 2007
The entire new album from (the band) Travis called 'The Boy with No Name'. I'm a huge Godrich and Travis fan too...

1) Where is the low end in general (usually the bass guitar is actually heard on previous albums)? It's about 5db down from their album 'The Invisible Band', which overall sounds excellent.

2) Why are Fran the singers vocals so accentuated on the mid range sibilance and slightly buried.

Yuck. Great band though, and all of Godrichs other productions are stellar, not sure what happened there.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

biohazards first cd.

the snare is distorted and the gtrz are out of tune.

the whole kit just sounds strange.
Old 25th August 2007

A lot of the Hendrix recordings tend to be "cloudy"

-tINY

Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

One of the Crosby, Stills and Nash tunes. I think it was "Sweet Judy Blue Eyes". There are some harmony vocals that are way out of tune.

DaveT
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

"Can I Play With Madness" by Iron Maiden. After the break when it goes back to the chorus there is a very obvious tempo change that doesn't seem right. Not really a sonic thing but a production issue. Nonetheless, it still bugs the hell out of me every time I hear it.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
This thread is just for fun. Not meant to be taken too seriously.

List a song or that you love with all of your heart that has bad/weird/distracting sonics. In other words, the song is emotionally great, but the recording or mix leaves something to be desired. In some cases, these "faults" become endearing and inseparable from the song. Arguably, in most cases, this is what happens.

My studio partner TJ's expression is "Juice over tech." Word.

I'll go first.

Elvis Costello's "Veronica"

The snare drum sounds like a metal-shelled piccolo with 2khz cranked 10dB on an SSL console EQ.

The song is transcendent genius (Costello/McCartney composition!). And Kevin Killen, T Bone Burnett, and Mitchell Froom are obviously deities.

But that snare!!... Was nobody listening?...

Okay, you go.

- c
Its funny how we all hear different issues with artist/production. I love the song Veronica and it shows that the "song" sales not an error or what someone liked in the song to do so. Now i can never listen to that song again w/o thinking about what you said and listening to that snare the entire time.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Offspring's first album was originally released on tape. When they ported it to CD, they forgot to take out the rest of the blank space at the end of Side A. There's, like, a 20 second pause between track 6 and track 7 on the CD for no reason.

Also (and I'm a huge fan here,) there seems to be A LOT of digital distortion/clipping on Joe Barresi's latest productions. Particularly the lead guitars on TOOL's 10,000 Days, and pretty much the entire new Bad Religion CD. Not sure if this is a mastering thing (they don't mention who mastered the BR CD in the liner notes) or what...I love the productions, engineering, and mixes, but it's just kinda...strange...
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Everything The Beatles did prior to The White Album.

A lot of 80s material - some really great songs came from the 80s, but suffered from poor/sign-o-the-times production techniques (if I never hear another gated snare in my life, it will be too soon).

Frampton's studio albums (only the live album had really great production).

The entire Queen II album.

My Chemical Romance - Black Parade - great songs, ****ty production/mastering (not sure which one ruined it).

All Rush albums after Moving Pictures and before Counterparts.

Ozzy's first two albums.

Cinderella's "Gypsy Road"
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
The 1st Chicago album version of "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is". No bass in 3rd chorus (IIRC) for about a measure. And what's with the Cymbal coming and going in the intro to "Jesus Is Just Alright With Me" by the Doobie Brothers. Also some weird stuff happens with the opening Do do do doos. Kinda like print thru on those.
Old 25th August 2007
Deleted User
"The entire Queen II album"

Seriously? That's one of my all time fave sounding recordings!!!! I love the excessive treble in May's guitars and the giant booming toms on Taylor's drumkit.

Mind you, maybe I'm tone deaf coz I think Costello's 'Veronica' is only a so-so song on his (or McCartney's) resume, and the snare is just typical late 80's early 90's verb gone a step too far. Just my 2 cents.

Fave audio gaffes of mine are Aretha Franklin's distorting vocal explosion on "I Never Loved A Man the Way I Love You", and Steve Cropper's first guitar break on Green Onions. That first lick comes in way too loud, and I always visualize the mixing engineer being caught by surprise, going 'holy Crap!' then diving to pull the fader down to the more acceptable level where the guitar stays for the rest of the tune. I'd assume that was a 'live to tape' situation...

Sometimes it's those little mistakes that give a song the immediacy and excitement of an 'almost live' recording. To this day, if I have a good performance with a sonic flaw versus a so-so performance in pristine audio quality, I always pick the former.

Rock on! And I hope some day my best sounds as good as the flaws on Queen II!
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

The 'sampled' snare on all of Boston 3. Understandable that Tom thought it was cool back in the day, but....it's....the same....crappy sample....all the way through!!

Later,

Todd
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Carol King's "Tapestry"(title track on record).

I think it was taken from demos where her voice distorted the mic/preamp. There are technical blemishes on this perfect recording.

PC
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just realized who mixed the album I mentioned. I really should be more professional and tactful about stuff like this. I apologize if I offended.

Last edited by DontLetMeDrown; 28th August 2007 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Manners
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

there's a riot goin on

the whole record
is amazing

the whole record
is sonically flawed

be well

- jack
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Joe Walsh Rocky mtn Way )

i think it was a ribbon mic plugged into 48v and it only lasted for the one take but its a great distorted sound

it might have been some other type of mic .. i should ask NeilTdeal,... he knows

Old 25th August 2007

i'm not sure, but i believe the snare top and bottom mics are out of phase
on the ac/dc cover recordings here - this has ALWAYS bothered me...

however, since the rhythm section PERFORMANCES are just SO STRONG,
(ESPECIALLY on "for those about to rock"), i wouldn't trade them for the world...

Wing Music - www.WingMusic.co.nz - Download Mp3s from Wing

Old 25th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Donald Fagens Night Fly .. the song.. Goodby Look there is a killer Marimba sound.... listen to the fade at the very end, you have to really crank it but its worth the listen

i always thought they were real marimbas,.... maybe they are ?

Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

A lot of the Hendrix recordings tend to be "cloudy"

-tINY

Y'know, it's funny you should mention this. I've always thought of Hendrix records as amazing feeling but mostly kinda bad sounding. I feel like lightning is going to strike me for even writing this. Well, lightning or Eddie Kramer...

"Crosstown Traffic" freaks me out every time as a song. It completely captures the kinetics of the title. Careens around, sounds like it's on fire. But if you analyze it from a fidelity perspective... uh... not so good.

Proves the obvious: fidelity has nothing to do with good rock 'n' roll!

- c
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Beatles... "Rubber Soul"... it's me and my wife's favorite sing-along Beatles album, but boy is it crispy and jangly! Really hard to listen to at times unless you're belting along with it on the freeway.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Just about every pop song song in the 1980's
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Not sure if this counts but, "exit" off of Joshua Tree has always bugged me. When they would play it live the song killed, one of their best but it is so quiet on the album. Not quiet in a good way but quiet like what's going on, with the crickets going on in the back and all. Maybe it was a conceptual idea that did not go over well, but if they had recorded it like they play it live it would have been much better.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

queens fat bottom girls, but I heard it recently on the radio with all the low end sucked out of it so it was nice and loud and bright. It sounded awful.

Something that came to mind when I heard it though.........Why do classic rock stations feel the need to overcompress their stations like typical rock and pop stations? For the most part they have little to no competition.
Old 25th August 2007

Iggy Pop - Lust for life album. Best album ever - terrible sound though !!
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac
These are things I've learned to like:

The sibilance on "No Parlez" by Paul Young

The way John Waite's singing is faded in and out in the chorus of the Babys' "Everytime I Think Of You"

Doubled vocals in general but particularly the Beach Boys. I like it best when they're totally off, like the awesome "In The Back Of My Mind."
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

There's this that Bob Dylan song that's supposed to be live but it's obvious that the "audience" is just a short loop.

Don't remember which one, gonna have a look and see if I can post a clip
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Coldplay - The Scientist - 2.00 mins in from when the acoustic guitar comes in for the entirety of the song there is this high pitched ringing sound on the 2 and the 4. Its quiet but it really pisses me off. I cannot believe it was deliberate, but at the same time, how could the miss it? No one else I know can seem to hear it... Someone please confirm this one with me!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I WANT YOU BACK by the Jackson 5.....
LOVE LOVE LOVE this track, who wouldnt, but Jacko sings waaaay out of tune in the breakdown section.... "ooo ooo baby!" Watch out.

Theres an edit into the 1st chorus of GOOD VIBRATIONS by the Beach boys, i would assume tape being spliced in, but its so obvious but you gotta love it.
Chymer
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Grev View Post
The 'sampled' snare on all of Boston 3. Understandable that Tom thought it was cool back in the day, but....it's....the same....crappy sample....all the way through!!

Later,

Todd
Yea, I can almost see all off his family and friends waving thier arms in the window and pounding unheard on the studio door screamining Tom, Tom... The snare, The snare!

- What was he thinking? - It goes Pushhh. - yuck. And those electric disco toms. What on earth is that.

All that, coupled with the premise that "Cool the engines" was a remotely cool phrase, crashed that spaceship for good.

I could go on.

:Ron
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile-High View Post
There's this that Bob Dylan song that's supposed to be live but it's obvious that the "audience" is just a short loop.

Don't remember which one, gonna have a look and see if I can post a clip
Doing this gives me rack rash like nothing else.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search