The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beloved songs with sonic faults Audio Interfaces
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Maniac

The triggered drums on Dream Theater's Images and Words

Or the over the top brick wall limiting of Systematic Chaos
Old 13th November 2008
Gear Addict

Was listening to Genesis Live last night, and got reminded of something: In the intro to "Watcher of the Skies", Tony Banks' Mellotron is making some awful high-pitched squeaking noise. I'm not sure if it's a mechanical noise being picked up by Tony's vocal mic, or if it's an artifact of the tape set.
Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

All of The Misfits recordings ...........
Old 13th November 2008
i knew someone was going to mention the drums on 'images and words'. its so different. the thing is that that obnoxiously huge yet fake sounding snare is so integral to those songs that if i heard it without it the songs would lose all of their unique drama. it only works for those songs, and wouldnt work on any other album. its one of those weird coincidences of unique production and unique songs. im glad they did it because its such a different and refreshing artistic statement.

sad that their recent albums are so bland (to me) sonics wise. they traded in their heavy yet classy soundscapes for generic chugchug. 6 Degrees was their last great sounding cd. every instrument is big. big drums, big guitars. one of my reference cd's for low end. it maintains hugeness across all teh lows, lowmids, and mids, without any one area taking over.
Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

I notice someone mentioned The Boys are Back and how the bass is too soft. Here's a very rough early mix that's much better. sounds like they were still forming the concept:
david
Attached Files

THEBOYSAREBACK.mp3 (5.50 MB, 132 views)

Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

There's a Danish band called 'Veto', first release was actually the label putting out their home-recorded demo EP to tide them over until the studio album was recorded.
Relatively shoddy recording but fantastic performance, especially a track called 'From A to B'.
Really annoying thing is, the studio album lost the quality of performance that was in the demo, I still listen to the demo rather than the 'polished' album, which in fact sounds like the whole thing is clipped all the way through by some dodgy amateur mastering engineer.
Maybe the master disk they duplicated from was not up to scratch, but whatever it was, it sounds bloody awful.

They must be gutted.
Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

Whoa, Synchronised posting!
Old 13th November 2008
fooman: i totally remember rusty, their big single "misogyny" was a fairly well-received single, but the drums sound like hell and the whole recording is very loose...but that's what i LOVED about it. definitely cool early-mid 90s awesomeness.

they were around the same time hayden was getting big and all the sonic unyon bands were doing well, like radioblaster and tristan psionic and treble charger and stuff.
Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

Im pretty sure in Paramores " CRUSH CRUSH" there are 2 kick drums that change their phase relationship with the layered sample.....only 2 in sequence one after the other, but its there.
Its in the breakdown when its just the kick drum playing.
It may be deliberate though, well thats what i would say if someone picked it:-)
Chymer
Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

the almost on their track dirtier..off there latest album everythings fine except for when the vocalist sings you can hear what sounds like a hardware deesser deessing so much that his speech sounds like a lisp.
Old 13th November 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
there's a riot goin on

the whole record
is amazing

the whole record
is sonically flawed

be well

- jack
Ha ha ha! The 1st thing that entered my mind when I saw the title of this thread was "(You Caught Me) Smilin'" where Sly's vocal distorts to the point of madness. Does it make me love it any less? Not really.
Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

A lot of the classic Iggy, Jimi, Sly, Zimmerman, and early Clash stuff is sonically awful. Zimmerman's fabled "wild mercurial sound" might be the worst of all.
Old 13th November 2008
Les
Lives for gear

Yardbirds "For Your Love", at least the copy I have on cd. It sounds like it was recorded over a telephone. You know, they had pefectly good gear back then. Why? Mixed for 6 transistor radio?

Les
L M Watts Technology
Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

I've been on a Gillian Welch kick lately and have been listening to several of her records...all of them uniformly amazing both musically and sonically. That being said, as great as Soul Journey sounds, there is some audible (and quite surprising) distortion on Gillian's voice on a few tunes when she digs in with her voice, and it definitely does not sound like the euphonic, intended type of disortion. I guess it's one of those "with a take that good, except the warts" instances.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search