The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beloved songs with sonic faults Audio Interfaces
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Donald Fagens Night Fly .. the song.. Goodby Look there is a killer Marimba sound.... listen to the fade at the very end, you have to really crank it but its worth the listen

i always thought they were real marimbas,.... maybe they are ?

Yeah, that freaked me out the first time I heard it. I'm pretty sure it was a Prophet 5. Fagen likes those odd synth sounds now and again. Like that freaky (yet classic) organ solo on "Do It Again".
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Masters of reality by Black Sabbath sounds fuzzy to me...over saturated but cool tunes. Maybe they attempted to keep it on the "dark" side?
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

the kick drum on Verve's Life An Ocean and the entire of Bloc Party's first album have always reduced me to a foetal position. Still both great regardless though.

Bulley
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

how about Dylans harmonica on 'Highway 61' ? I played in a punk rock band for years and lost less hearing than listening to Highway 61 on a cheap pair of headphones once
Old 22nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
dEUS - Hotel Lounge.

Bass is pretty out of tune, but I do wonder if the track would still move me in the same way if it wasn't. Hmmmm

This is the second reference to dEUS in one day I've stumbled upon here at GS. One of my absolute favorite bands! In fact, I flew to Chicago last year to see them again.
Anyway, I've always assumed that the bass on Hotellounge was intentional; it is so effective in pulling against the rest of the music. Then again maybe that's why it's muted in places.
Ben
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

The beginning of "Roxanne" by the Police has a little tape warble in it where it detunes slightly. Almost like someone touched the flange on the tape machine.

And I think there is a Pixies record that has a bunch of pretty loud clicks or pops intermittently. Not sure which one I'm thinking of.
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Iggy Pop - Lust for life album. Best album ever - terrible sound though !!
Funny, I think this is one of the best sounding albums ever.
Old 18th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Everything from Velvet Underground...but damn is that some catalog!

The records are so lo-fi, that a friend who's an amazing piano/keys player since he was 4 or 5 yrs. old is convinced that "All Tomorrow's Parties" main riff is a phasey/delayed/effected guitar, while I'm sure it's a piano...it's that bad, but soooo good!

To his defense he's only heard it a few times as he's not that big a fan,...I later read they used the "prepared piano" paper clip trick.
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMoo View Post
Anything Grand Funk or Bloodrock around 1970-71...too much bass and way too much compression. Good stuff though, e. g. Foot Stompin' Music, D. O. A.

The entire Closer To Home album (GFR circa 1970) is irreproachable. Change one iota of that record and I will come to your house and scoop out your eye sockets with a melon-baller!

That's not "too much bass", that's the absolute archetype of rock bass tone, it's gotta be in yo face!

And that ultra-dry drum sound is to die for: Bip, bap, pookah, pash, doont-doont splat! backah BOOM!
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Ehrm... every Leonard Cohen song.
Ever.

All the Birthday Party albums sound like ****- but it totally works for them.
Those songs wouldn't work in high fidelity.
Nasty needs nasty, I guess.
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Duran Duran's "Rio" album. Great songs, but terrible sound. Same with most of their other albums except for the first one which sounds great.
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOHStudios View Post
Rod Stewart's "Maggie May". Reverb on everything but the vocals. Vocals are dry as a bone and definitely sound like they were recorded in a treated booth.
Precisely why it's so amazing, not just as a brilliant tune, but sound-wise.
Old 19th October 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
The beginning of "Roxanne" by the Police has a little tape warble in it where it detunes slightly. Almost like someone touched the flange on the tape machine.
There is also a blatant one of these on "The World's Strongest Man" by Scott Walker... second verse I think. On the whole though that album (Scott 4) sounds beautiful.
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Anyway, my fave 'bad' recording is Derek +the Dominoes whole 'Layla' record. Had it on vinyl first and found it sonically lacking at a time (teens) when I absolutely didn't care about production values at all. Then got it on an early double CD (ughhh!), single 'remixed' CD (arrrghhh!), single 'original mix' CD (well....nah, o.k) and finally CD/SACD (could it be.....maybe, not really). ALL versions are seriously flawed and no attempt at bettering it really succeeded but it's still one of all-time faves, such great playing and songs.
Gotta agree with this. Apparently coffee was spilt all over the master tapes, and the tape machine it was mixed with kept speeding up and slowing down. All the songs are at the wrong speed/pitch! The SACD version is the best one I've heard yet.

One of my favourite "mistakes" is Yer Blues by The Beatles. You can clearly hear John shouting half-finished words all the way through the song. I'm assuming he was shouting them for the benefit of the band when they were laying down their instruments, and the mics picked it up. I always listen out for them though, and I'd notice if they went anywhere.
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Head

Nobody's mentioned Led Zep III, track 4 "Since I've Been Loving You".
You don't have to listen very hard to hear that kick drum pedal is in some serious need of a little 3in1 oil.
I can never get past that annoying little squeek even though the groove is massive.

enjoy!,
Dan
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
The most lofi singles that stick out in my mind are "Bang a Gong" --Arcadia and Beck "loser".

Bang a Gong is terrible. I don't know how that got released. Maybe it is just my vinyl but it ... sounds like 8 bit or something.

Not in a good way either.
You're got the WRONG Duran Duran side project. Bang a Gong was John & Andy's side project, Power Station. Arcadia was much more art rock, featuring Nick & Simon and Roger.

My vote for song I love that sounds horrible is "I'll be your mirror" from velvet underground and nico. Love the song, awful vocals and recording.
Old 4th February 2008
Here for the gear

Hotter Than Hell by Kiss (1974). The album has some GREAT songs on it, most of them not very Kiss-like (Coming Home, Going Blind, Watchin' You, Parasite, Hotter Than Hell, Let Me Go Rock'n Roll, All The Way and Strange Ways). Anyway, the production is an absolute disaster. The drums are EQ'ed beyond recognition, everything is way over-compressed and there's no info above like 6k.

I know Kiss gets alot of stick around here, and I agree on much of it. However, they did make some really solid albums in their early days, up until Alive II in 1978.
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Johnny Socko, "They Know Us At the Spa"!

-synthoid
Old 4th February 2008
Here for the gear

Oh... And Revolution by The Beatles (the fuzzy version, not the White Album version). Some words are double tracked, but it's all random. Sometimes he's even double tracking different words.

And in Good Day Sunshine by said band: Don't know if it's deliberate, but you can clearly hear John "answer" Paul after the "She feels good" line. And when Paul re-recorded the song for Give My Regards To Broad Street, he copied it and made it even more audible in the mix.
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Theres friggin loads

Everything on "There's a Riot Goin' On" by Sly and The Family stone sounds like it's underwater. But it's fantastic.

I love the thought that he bled the tape white by taking back wannabe singer chicks that he wanted to sleep with, recording their vocals, and then erasing it the next day.

Anything punk, Dead Kennedy's, Black Flag etc, all sonically terrible.

Eliot Smith was way better before he got pushed into a big studio. Love his 4 track cassette stuff.

DJ Shadow's "Entroducing" would be awful if had been done all crystal clear with modern samplers: Crusty Vinyl, cheap DJ mixer and an MPC. nice.
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Grev View Post
The 'sampled' snare on all of Boston 3. Understandable that Tom thought it was cool back in the day, but....it's....the same....crappy sample....all the way through!!

Later,

Todd
Dude, he still uses the same crappy snare sample and even worse sounding tom samples!!! I sometimes wonder if he does it to make the guitars seem even bigger!!! LOL!!!
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Bird house in your soul.

HiHat is the loudest thing in the mix
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by layez View Post
how about Dylans harmonica on 'Highway 61' ? I played in a punk rock band for years and lost less hearing than listening to Highway 61 on a cheap pair of headphones once
I love his song "Girl From The North Country", but the harmonica distorts something awful through one or two of the solos where he is holding one note, crescendoing over a few measures... makes the ears bleed. Still listen to it though :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post

And I think there is a Pixies record that has a bunch of pretty loud clicks or pops intermittently. Not sure which one I'm thinking of.
Someone had mentioned everything from the Beatles prior to the White Album, but this post remonded me of the beginning of "Your Going To Lose That Girl" from Help!, where somewhere in the beginning you can hear the whole thing slow down just a bit, as if the tape had been stretched, or someone just brushed the tape reel as it was rolling. Haven't listened to it in a long time though, so I couldn't pinpoint the time.
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

This band from the 90's called Rusty... they had a cd I bought that I still love. It's neon green with a drawn person on the front... Misoghny is the name 9sp?).

Anyways, it sounds like it was recorded using a drumkit with worn skins in a garage. I kinda like it's raunchiness haha.
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusebassman View Post

Someone had mentioned everything from the Beatles prior to the White Album, but this post remonded me of the beginning of "Your Going To Lose That Girl" from Help!, where somewhere in the beginning you can hear the whole thing slow down just a bit, as if the tape had been stretched, or someone just brushed the tape reel as it was rolling. Haven't listened to it in a long time though, so I couldn't pinpoint the time.
The intro harmonies always sounded weird on that track too - but what a track.

I have always wished that the Beatles had compressed & limited less and that they hadn't 'upgraded' to solid state for Abbey Road.

Andy
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Nut

Think I have one that qualifies:

How about Barry White's "Baby we better try and get it together"?

What's the deal with that bass arrangement in the verse??? Doesn NOT work for the song at all... Am I the only one thinking this? I mean how can Barry White himself, with great control of the whole arrangement (I'm told), allow that kind of bass part for this otherwise beautiful track?

The chorus is just gorgeous but I always wonder what went through their heads with that bass playing during the verses...
Old 10th November 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
Coldplay - The Scientist - 2.00 mins in from when the acoustic guitar comes in for the entirety of the song there is this high pitched ringing sound on the 2 and the 4. Its quiet but it really pisses me off. I cannot believe it was deliberate, but at the same time, how could the miss it? No one else I know can seem to hear it... Someone please confirm this one with me!
It's funny i love this song & i honestly had never realised until you said so but yes, you're not going crazy, i can hear it too
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
bad/weird/distracting sonics. In other words, the song is emotionally great
Velvet live at Max's Kansas City. All of the above (including emotionally great).
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Nut

How about Tainted Love by Soft Cell. Horrible sound, really flabby bass. Huge Hit - still.

Great rock and roll attitude.....

....and from the ridiculous to the sublime, I really like Queen II too. Although thinking about it the sound is not as integrated or high quality as later efforts. Really stepped up a level to Shear Heart Attack in terms of production / engineering.

Mihaly.
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbay View Post
Nobody's mentioned Led Zep III, track 4 "Since I've Been Loving You".
You don't have to listen very hard to hear that kick drum pedal is in some serious need of a little 3in1 oil.
I can never get past that annoying little squeek even though the groove is massive.

enjoy!,
Dan

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to mention it.

Also, some edits between tracks come through on Dark Side of the Moon when you hear it loud through cans. I'm sure there are perfectly valid reasons for this(I'm definitely not slagging anyone off here), and the edits themselves were probably feats of magnificent engineering skill for the technology used, but the whole of that album is so great for me that I always notice them

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search