The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best guitar shop in Montreal? Dynamics Plugins
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Best guitar shop in Montreal?

Anyone knows?
I'm going there soon and would like to grab a Bass.
Thanks
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Steve's is the main point of reference: biggest selection and usually the best prices. Sales team are not the friendliest in general, though. I'll leave my comments at that.

Italmelodie: ever so slightly more expensive (a dollar or 5 most of the time) and less choice, but much better service in general. Also, a little out of the way depending on your location (once you are in town).

Archambault: great location, but less choice still, and usually even a little more expensive. this is kind of an odd store because it is basically a chain of CD, DVD, book stores, but this particular location also has instruments (only 2 of the chain sell instruments IIRC). Sales guys are not the friendliest, but most are not jerks, just a bit lazy, which is actually very cool for those who know what they want and don't need a teen-aged sales wannabe down their back.

These are you main stores. Next to Steve's is a hole in the wall called Jack's that sells really low quality stuff, or decent stuff from time to time, but it is rumored that most brand name stuff they sell is hot. I think that they are actually owned by Steve's as they are pretty much in the same building. Complete a-holes; avoid at all costs if you have any self respect.

What part of town will you be staying in, and for how long? Have you been before?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, Steve's has got the best selection.

Archambault is mostly low and mid-grade stuff.

Pawn-shop hunting is fun too... I wish I could remember the name of the place I sold my Fender amp to... upper east side near Jean-Talon. They had a bunch of cool gear kicking around, but it was neighbourhood I've only been in that once.
Old 25th August 2007
JES
Lives for gear

I gave up on Steve's, more or less, after repeated terrible service on both the phone and in person.

Italmelodie is much friendlier.

But here's the question: where are you coming from and why do you need a bass? If you're just in town for a couple weeks and want to play with some people, Italmelodie has a pretty cheap rental program. If you normally live in the US, you'll find prices are much higher here. If you're looking for boutique stuff, you'd be better off checking out local luthiers.

Best,
--JES
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Kitts music is cool, he has some older stuff.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Don't know what your looking to spend but boutique tone is a beautiful shop.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

I vote for Kitt's. It has mostly used stuff, so you can find treasures, and the treasures change every month.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search