The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 3124mb+ signal flow & questions about first slutty purchase Audio Interfaces
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

API 3124mb+ signal flow & questions about first slutty purchase

Did a search of both gearslutz and the API website, and have'nt been able to lock down the signal flow of the API 3124mb+.

I am wondering where in the path the inserts are located?
Because it could work in one of two ways:

Preamp>insert>direct out>aux send>panner

or

Preamp>direct out>insert>aux send>panner

If anyone could tell me which is correct that would be great.

Also, I currently use an mbox2pro with 4in/6outs + spdif i/o. I wish I could upgrade- but I really need some analogue stuff. I'm thinking at the moment I'll pick up a api3124mb+ and dangerous dbox.

The API on it's own fits perfectly with the mbox 2 pro as it can accomodate 6 ins, four of which have auxes. This in conjuction with the dbox would let me monitor and mix headphones for overdubbs quickly, at the same time it would offer two channels of great DA and headphone amps. Although I do not have enough outputs to justify all of it's summing inputs, it seems that this box can solve alot of problems-it will be great when I move up to a better interface. Many of you may not think the additions of 3124mb+ justify it's expense over the 3124+, but based on the way I work, and some of the recordings I do, I really need the gain stages and routing. If I was just buying a 4ch pre I probably would not buy an API first. I would probably look at Hardy or Wunder. But at the moment, functionality is my priority and API's preamps are hardly a regrettable purchase.

I guess down the road I would add two softer/rounder or clean/big sounding preamps and two more channels of AD.

So I guess I'm asking three questions: 1)Where does the insert occur on the API 3124mb+ and 2) What are you thoughts on the functionality of combining the API with a dbox, as a first 'slutty purchase'. 3) Where's a Canadian going to find the best deal on these pieces?

Cheers and Thanks for the Help
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

What? Nobody ever replied? Not even with a "use the search tool" comment? What is going on here?

What I've learned:

The insert point is between the mic pre and the busses.
Old 13th February 2008
I have one of these and like it very much, you got it right the insert is between the mic pre and busses. I use it anytime I want to sum a few mics down to a track or two.
The inserts great when using an IBP on a multi mic'ed source. right now the main apps for me are electric guitar and toms. But to me API is a classic wonderful pre that works on just about anything
Old 13th February 2008
Gear Addict

Does the direct out count as a bus?

So is it

A) Pre-Direct out-insert-Busses?
or
B) Pre-insert-Direct out-Busses?

It would really help if API just put a block diagram on their site. I have still yet to get my hands on one of these, and have held off on my "first slutty purchase" largely due to alot of 500 series developments at the time I started this thread. Still waiting to here about the new purple stuff when it finally ships.

Cheers and thanks for the info
Old 13th February 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopimpster View Post
What? Nobody ever replied? Not even with a "use the search tool" comment? What is going on here?

What I've learned:

The insert point is between the mic pre and the busses.
And yeah, I did use the search tool, as well as try to find an online manual for the 3124mb+. There were no Gearslutz answers for the questions I was asking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search