The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PENDULUM MASSIVE MYSTERY PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

PENDULUM MASSIVE MYSTERY PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a pendulum quartet from a guy off here named dan richards about 4 months ago. It has never worked correctly since I owned it. The problem is when the compressor is engaged the sound goes to a static sound and the whole compressor area doeSnt work.........when disengaged the mic pre and eq works fine. I sent it to pendulum audio and they said they fixed some things wrong with it. They sent it back and it still fails. I sent it back to pendulum audio and it never fails there. 2 weeks it doesnt fail. so greg replaces all the compressor components and during that he finds a wire that doesnt seem right so he fixes that but it still never seems to do what it does here...........so he sends it back working perfect there..........but as soon as i plug it in its static when engaging the compressor part of the channel strip. I tried different connections off my rosetta. my mp2nv works fine with those connections................i took it in another room and ran a tape player thru it to a dj mixer.............and the compressor fails when its engaged. If i send it back to pendulum u can bet ur ass its not gona fail.....................so why MY FREAKIN GOD does this thing only fail in my studio. Im taking it home tonight to try it on my lil home system.

It worked fine for dan richards and it works fine at pendulum!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

BRYAN
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

another thing is...........after its on for a while the static starts to fade away and the compressor begins to work!

it still has alil fuzz............and normally after several hours it seems to work close to fine but then fails occasionally at the most important times.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

power issues maybe? I'm no expert on this but if it definitely worked with pendulum and the guy you bought it off, it may be worth looking into how you have it set up in your space.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

could the tubes be acting different since the florida humidity is different here. i just think its odd that the compressor doesnt work at all .......volume knob doesnt work or anything on the comp section and sound like fizz and then over time as it warms up the sound becomes solid
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

hey man, i am having the exact same problems you are. i sent mine back once and haven't had time to call greg back since getting it back in july. before i sent it in he sent me a new set of tubes to see if that was the problem. i live in houston where it's just as humid as florida and that was totally not the problem. when i shipped it to him he said it was an 'early compressor death'. but when plugging it in post-repair i got the exact same prob! i used it for three weeks straight hoping it would 'work itself out' but sadly it did not. now the meter on 'compression' doesn't move and i'll be lucky if i even get a response, let alone the crackliness. sometimes when tapping on some of the compressor section knobs i'd get some sort of response (ie - compressor works w/ or w/o noise), and sometimes by flipping the 'eq pre/post comp' switch!

i'm dying to get this compressor working, but if it's a problem on my end i'd like to figure this out before sending it back again and looking like a fool.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think I might know the problem here: what is the average temp in the room at your studios? Gear that runs hot (like I'm guessing the tube section your compressors) often respond poorly to a hot room. It could be an internal connection that, when it heats up too much, becomes intermittant leading to all sorts of strange problems. Chances are, Greg has a steady 72 degrees going in his shop at all times thus no problems.

Just a thought
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
I think I might know the problem here: what is the average temp in the room at your studios?
My place is probably around mid to upper 70s. i have the unit on the desktop and not in a rack. also, the weirdness will happen immediately after the 'warm-up stage' of 10-60 minutes. it doesn't get hot enough to fry an egg on it or anything.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

my room stays in the low to mid 70s

mine fails as soon as i turn it on early in the morning.

i know greg is doing his best to help us but mine never fails at his place so he cant help
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

he replaced all the compressor components in mine

ya start getting a feeling of hoplessness when the god of pendulum cant help u..........
IM a dammned engineer!

im trying mine at home tonight to see what happens..........see if its a building electrical environment problem

couldnt be heat because my works when it warms up.........or works as to what i know working is...........im not sure if ive ever heard what the compressor is suppost to sound like.......seems good
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaesion View Post
he replaced all the compressor components in mine
same here
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

mine use to work when id flick the knobs too.

one time when i had the top off and I was getting no sound i put pressure on the frame bending it slightly on my knee and the sound would come thru..... so i thought maybe the screws were to lose or tight....i tried adjusting that but then the compressor stop working permanently no matter what.............no sound no signs of life..i sent it to greg and it worked perfectly fine.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

worse thing is i bought mine used for 2100 and had an offer for a new one at 2500. I have 450$ in shipping and repair already.

was urs brand new?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

i bought mine new in june 06. problems started around sept. i think it was made march 06 if that helps.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have serial number 1 of both the quartet one and the quartet 2. never a single problem. they've been used almost every day, and I've had them since the day they were released (respectively).
Old 25th August 2007
JGP
Gear Head

When it fails, measure your AC line voltage-maybe it's low.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Would it be possible to make a video while
it's acting up? Just a thought.

good luck,
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue View Post
Would it be possible to make a video while
it's acting up? Just a thought.

good luck,

great idea
i left mine on all night im working fine today
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

when i got mine back from repair i used it non stop for three weeks, 8-12 hours a day and rarely got a response from the compressor. i didn't have it bypassed so i could still get some gain from the output knob and use the de-esser. i can't make any videos, but i have plenty of recorded files. my recent tests involved leaving it on all day and every few hours coming to play with it. i'd always get random responses of functionality.

one interesting note, when making the weird noise thing (which sounds like an envelope of noise on the attack and decay) it would impart a sine looking pattern on the waveform, as if it were processed by some LFO. however, it's very low frequency so sometimes it's not audible, sometimes you could hear the 'thud'. here's the first batch of files that got the noise.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGP View Post
When it fails, measure your AC line voltage-maybe it's low.
what is the best method of testing this while the unit is on? stick a multimeter in the other socket?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

pendulum should be able to tell you what points to test

that's a weird thing. I had a similar problem with one of my ny-2a's... One channel would crap out and start hissing and being noisy. Eventually the other channel started doing it. Turns out that every cap in the compressor blew.

It sometimes amazes me that some of this new tube gear rocks capacitors that have heat rating for up to 100 degree. That was the case with the ny2a. The tubes get some freakin hot that they should really be putting caps in there that are rated for at least 120 if not 150. And that is coming from someone who has only a basic understanding of electronic components.

hopefully they tested all the caps, even the ones that may effect other parts of the channel strip.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

did u replace all the tubes for trouble shooting?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

i replaced the tubes with the new ones greg sent and had the same result. i switched back to the original tubes and the problem was still there. after that i sent it to pendulum.
Old 25th August 2007
I have two and no problems at all except for a loose wire on one position of the compressor swtich.

To troubleshoot, I'd try different compressor modes, but more importantly, I'd try connecting to the compressor's direct input and see if you have the some problem.

Also, have you heard the way it clicks when it starts up? It has a relay system that keeps it muted while the parts warm up. I have no idea what the sound would be if it was unmuted at that time, or how it would sound if your AC was underpowering the device.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I left mine on for the last 2 days and it has worked fine. The problems I had with that noise was like the first 2 hrs. I wonder how long the tubes will last if thier left on every day.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

i have left mine on for several days and the problem is intermittent. i've tried every input on the device using vox/guitar/synth. sometimes i'll plug in a synth, put it on arpeggiate and leave it running for hours. i haven't found a way to 'trick' the quartet in to acting properly. Mike, trust me, i've tried every compressor setting along with every knob/switch variation possible and cannot pinpoint anything.

btw, has anyone checked out my samples (post #18)? should i put up more?

my theories keep going towards the power issue. does anyone think this could be recified by some sort of transformer thing like an equitech or tripp lite? i'd hate to shell out crazy money for it only to find i don't need it. vaesion, i'm still curious what your power setup is like, especially the previous owner's.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

i dont have anything special.............its ona surge protector now.........but I have plugged it directly into the wall with most of everything off in the studio and Ive also plugged it into the wall in another room of my studio and its the same results.
i been so over worked i keep forgetting to take it home and try it there.........hopefully ill remember tonight
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

The quartet works perfect at home right from start up..
So what's that mean?
Under powered at my studio? I tried 2 different rooms with 2 completely dif sytems. It failed in both.

Atleast I feel some hope now.

Do I call teco and tell them I'm under powered
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nevermind. It worked on 2 boots but now its failing. On the 3rd boot while running a synth through it there was a very low distorted sound when the comp was on. I ran it for 1 hr and the sound never raised 2 normal. I unplugged it from the wall for 5 min the replugged and the comp worked almost perfectly. I just noticed the volume decreasing about 2 db when the comp was engaged with no compression.
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
i have left mine on for several days and the problem is intermittent. i've tried every input on the device using vox/guitar/synth. sometimes i'll plug in a synth, put it on arpeggiate and leave it running for hours. i haven't found a way to 'trick' the quartet in to acting properly. Mike, trust me, i've tried every compressor setting along with every knob/switch variation possible and cannot pinpoint anything.

btw, has anyone checked out my samples (post #18)? should i put up more?

my theories keep going towards the power issue. does anyone think this could be recified by some sort of transformer thing like an equitech or tripp lite? i'd hate to shell out crazy money for it only to find i don't need it. vaesion, i'm still curious what your power setup is like, especially the previous owner's.
YOu've tried it in the 1/4 compressor I/O too, right?

Try taking it someplace else rather than spend the money on a power conditioner.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
YOu've tried it in the 1/4 compressor I/O too, right?

Try taking it someplace else rather than spend the money on a power conditioner.
I just patched it in to the comp insert and got no response. It passes signal and I can use the output gain and de-esser, but that's it. There's no movement on the compressor meter, but the output meter still works (as always). Interestingly, when I switch to 'opto before eq' the eq still works even though I thought it was patched after the eq in the chain. Mike, what is your theory about trying the insert?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search