The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PENDULUM MASSIVE MYSTERY PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

mine doesnt work on the comp insert either.
I booted it up this morning and it failed at my house.
im failing in 3 different rooms 2 differnet locations
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

poor old greg is goin nuts.

this is what hes repaired so far
So far, in the compressor stage, I've replaced the:

tubes (2)
tube sockets (2)
all the capacitors (power and audio)
plate and power resistors
optical cell

I also resoldered all the components - top and bottom.

The unit, as shipped back to me, never failed on its own, in 7 days,
with a variety of on/off cycles, in a rack, not in a rack, wrapped in a
blanket, and tapped on with a rubber mallet. I also tested it under low
ac voltage with no failure.

Finally, the only I got it to fail was to open the top and shake the
I/O wiring jumper from the opto attenuator on the front panel to the
tube gain stage. I was sure that was it, so I replaced it and retested
it with no problem.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

just for the record greg has been an oustanding help and hasnt charged me anything since the first repair price.

Its gotta be the on and off switch
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

latest experiment:

i've had the unit on for about 5 hours now. let it go through the soft-boot and let it warm up for ~45 minutes. threw a synth on arpeggiate inserted in the back, using main xlr output. went to lunch for two hours. i decided 30 minutes ago to pop the top off. i don't know what i was expecting to see, but i figured i'd take a look.

as far as i could tell, everything looked normal. sautering was nice and clean, no loose wires or anything obvious. long story short, i found the opto cell and pushed on the screw to the left of it and got some loud crackling as if the comp was trying to turn on. after trying that for a few minutes i started gently pushing on the comp cell itself. pushing it in to the seating would make it go off, but pushing it in a downward direction toward the bottom of the unit got it working again! after some time trying this, eventually the meter started responding to comp changes. however, whenever i'd switch between modes sometimes the comp would turn off, other times the meter would stop, or both. i can't tell if it's just a seating issue or something is not making contact properly. sometimes i'd get it to work by pushing the circuit boards away from the faceplate. plus, when in 'fast' mode there is a LOT of harmonic distortion when i put the thresh. between -10 and -20, it almost sounds like bit-crushing.

maybe at this point it's not a power issue, especially after reading greg's email above. i think it's a contact issue, but i really don't know how to pinpoint the problem, let alone how to fix it. i've tried loosening, tightening the screws around the cell, sticking a piece of plastic between the faceplate and the main board but nothing keeps the connection. one you start flipping switches and turning knobs something comes loose. or something.

i agree with vaesion, greg is a cool guy, has been great help and makes an excellent product. i refuse to let go of my quartet, which is one of the reasons it took me so long to send it in. i just can't stop using it!

vaesion, have you pointed greg to this thread? i wonder if he could gain any insight to what we've posted.
Old 29th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
I just patched it in to the comp insert and got no response. It passes signal and I can use the output gain and de-esser, but that's it. There's no movement on the compressor meter, but the output meter still works (as always). Interestingly, when I switch to 'opto before eq' the eq still works even though I thought it was patched after the eq in the chain. Mike, what is your theory about trying the insert?
No theory, just a way to rule out location of the problem. If it had worked, you'd know the problem was in the connection between the compressor and the other components.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

i think we made the gods mad some how

thats my theory
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not a tech and I don't even play one on T.V. but what if he sent you a completely different unit to see if you had the same issues?

It would probably cost him less in work and parts.

Call me crazy.
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

From what you said about how it works when you bend the frame, it sounds like an intermittant loss in connection somewhere. Could be a bad ground...or the infamous cold solder joint. These cold solder joints can develop cracks that give intermittant connection.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobor View Post
From what you said about how it works when you bend the frame, it sounds like an intermittant loss in connection somewhere. Could be a bad ground...or the infamous cold solder joint. These cold solder joints can develop cracks that give intermittant connection.
interesting. this could be the case, however something i'm not capable of finding or fixing myself. crap!

max, that's what i was thinking and i'm still under mercenary's extended warranty, but i was still hoping a solution would arise from the community before throwing in the towel.

thanks to everyone for throwing in ideas! vaesion, sorry if i'm threadjacking, but we're hopefully on the way to finding a solution.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

I'd like to hear how this all plays out.

I was ready to spring for the Quartet.
Old 30th August 2007
I'd be really really surprised if this wasn't a very rare, exceptional circumstance.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

i would not have any worries about buying a new one. like mike says, this is probably rare. it's not like your gonna get xbox360 quality. i stand by my claim that this unit is awesome and would be MOST awesome if i got it all to work in harmony. this is just troubleshooting for an isolated problem that any of us would do for any product.
Old 31st August 2007
What it really comes down to, is that if you ask Gerg Gualtieri technical quesitons, it's so clear that his knowledge is at an excpetional level - to the point where without knowing detials, I'd trust his work over someone complaining about it. My instinct is that there's a detail or two missing form the story. However, gear can sometimes just be mysteriously flakey.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

my wife hates me over this situation
soons as i get another 70$ I'll send it back.
I know greg will figure it out.
The good thing is he will know what caused it from here on out.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

behold the quartet videos are here

Index of /gearslutz

they are still uploading
it will be available at 6pm eastern time

i recorded me flippin every knob on the front as it fails and i did one where flicking the output knob and it makes it work somewhat but still distorted occasionally
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Sorry to hear of your problem, nothing worse than tracking down an intermittant gremlin in the works. Good luck!

On the flip side I'd just like to add that I am a proud owner of a Quartet and it has worked flawlessly for several years. It sounds amazing and it appears to be very well built. I give it "The Big Thumbs Up!" I am sure your problem is the exception to the rule.
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
when making the weird noise thing (which sounds like an envelope of noise on the attack and decay)
Found this thread thru a Google search...I have the exact same problem.

New Quartet sold to me by Mercenary earlier this year. Works wonderfully except when switching in the compressor section. Compressor section works but adds a weird crackling, bit-crushed, static sound. Tried all the usual things like swapping the tube positions and putting back the stock inputs tubes (I'm using Telefunkens). But the problem persists and is always associated with the compressor section.

Also occasionally when switching off the compressor section all sound will die, but after flicking some switches will come back on again. Quirky.

I've got all sorts of gear here, including an OCL-2, and have no issues with any of the other gear / power / room temp.

Have reached out to Greg. It's a real pain as I use the heck of out this piece of gear every day for tracking.
Attached Files
File Type: aif quartet - comp in : comp out.aif (6.48 MB, 50 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search