The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Build you own API microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Build you own API microphone

Let me tell you about this thing that I’ve discovered. I don’t care much for the API lunch box. Have one patched up, but I really don’t use it much. It’s from the seventies so sometimes for softer rock , A.O.R, type deals it’s kinda sweet but usually it’s just gathering dust.

Anyho, since I have soldered the ins and outs to my Mosses & Mitchell patch bay the original API connectors just layed around with nothing to do. For years. And that gave me an idea...

I have an anormous amount of Shure SM57 that I use for pretty much whatever I do around the house. I took six of them and removed the Shure connectors and soldered the male API connectors in its place.

I could not believe what I heard when I plugged the first couple to a MS stereo setup and recorded myself singing a selection of Christmas carrols from the old country. It sounded exactly like everything I ever dreamt of. It was as if Bing Crosby himself stood inside my blasting headphones(AKG).

This is by far the most effective upgrade I have done in my studio. Beats the lunch box so totally.

So just a little tip for the people at Shure/API. I truly believe you could make a best seller if you got together and made an API SM57. Around Christmas when everyone and their sister is making albums this product will hit the roof sales wise. Best all around Christmas microphone out there I would guess.

Just a tip.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Let me tell you about this thing that I’ve discovered. I don’t care much for the API lunch box. Have one patched up, but I really don’t use it much. It’s from the seventies so sometimes for softer rock , A.O.R, type deals it’s kinda sweet but usually it’s just gathering dust.

Anyho, since I have soldered the ins and outs to my Mosses & Mitchell patch bay the original API connectors just layed around with nothing to do. For years. And that gave me an idea...

I have an anormous amount of Shure SM57 that I use for pretty much whatever I do around the house. I took six of them and removed the Shure connectors and soldered the male API connectors in its place.

I could not believe what I heard when I plugged the first couple to a MS stereo setup and recorded myself singing a selection of Christmas carrols from the old country. It sounded exactly like everything I ever dreamt of. It was as if Bing Crosby himself stood inside my blasting headphones(AKG).

This is by far the most effective upgrade I have done in my studio. Beats the lunch box so totally.

So just a little tip for the people at Shure/API. I truly believe you could make a best seller if you got together and made an API SM57. Around Christmas when everyone and their sister is making albums this product will hit the roof sales wise. Best all around Christmas microphone out there I would guess.

Just a tip.

Ummmmm........I hate to break this to you, but you can't record in MS with 57's.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

So these microphones are sounding loads better because you put a different connector on them?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Too funny.
Old 24th August 2007
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you don't believe me - try putting silver in your cables - that will make the high-end even higher... I heard this from a well known Mastering guy here on GS.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you don't believe me - try putting silver in your cables - that will make the high-end even higher... I heard this from a well known Mastering guy here on GS.
Dude! First off, that guy discussing silver was me. Secondly you took that WAAAAAAAAAAAY out of context!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I use silver bullets.... Very effective!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just a tip.
Now that's funny!!!! Thanks for starting my day off with a smile!! Can't wait to hear those "old country" carols!!LOL!! Can't wait to solder my Cuisinart Toaster power cord to any one of my pres to "warm up" the sound!You're a funny guy!!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

hey greatgreatriver, are you related to a guy named walters?

Last edited by dj_who; 24th August 2007 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: i can't spell
Old 24th August 2007
It's not that I don't believe you. I just don't understand what you are doing.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
It's not that I don't believe you. I just don't understand what you are doing.

+1
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Best all around Christmas microphone out there I would guess.

Just a tip.
lol i guess were kinda due for another "character" here on gearslutz...what ever happend to that guy that didn't believe in womens rights?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

greatgreatriver..may i know how old are you??
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX582 View Post
lol i guess were kinda due for another "character" here on gearslutz...what ever happend to that guy that didn't believe in womens rights?

Woah woah woah, slow down.

...Women have rights?
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
- that will make the high-end even higher...
Okey Dokey then.
I'll have some of what he's having
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just a tip.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

uhhh... what is Mr. Miagi doing to the Karate Kid in Greatgreatriver's avatr???? looks like the next lesson after "wax on wax off"
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Classy trolling!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Ummmmm........I hate to break this to you, but you can't record in MS with 57's.
That's what popped when I read the original post. How'd you do it? Is it possible that whatever you did in the process of "recording in MS" made the sound more pleasing to you?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragan View Post
That's what popped when I read the original post. How'd you do it? Is it possible that whatever you did in the process of "recording in MS" made the sound more pleasing to you?

I'm pretty sure this is just a joke. The guy is funny, I'll give him that.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

My wild guess here is that this guy's parents shared a last name since birth, if you know what I'm saying.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

okay so how did the soldering turn an sm57 into a figure 8 for MS??????? Im confused, but I would really like to know.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

This thread is kind of like the Mixerman Diaries.......

minus the funny part
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

badass thread.

I'm trying it with this but I'm having trouble getting my FM radio to interface with my lunchbox.

Do I need to turn my radio down?
Attached Thumbnails
Build you own API microphone-015630.jpg  
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

The last time I put a 57 in my lunchbox, it left a dent in my sandwich.
Old 24th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Oh yes, good times.

I wired an api lunchbox into a superman lunchbox. All the kids at school think I'm cool.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

this guy is like the Andy Kaufmann of AE. he's a ruse no doubt. check THIS thread out, especially the comment about running a ribbon mic straight to tape without a pre lmao
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
uhhh... what is Mr. Miagi doing to the Karate Kid in Greatgreatriver's avatr???? looks like the next lesson after "wax on wax off"
LOL!!!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

lets not make too much fun, we've all been naive at some stage haha. i will admit that i have no clue why someone would need a polarity phase switch on a preamp. i just make sure everything is in phase,and if not,do it ITB. is there something im missing seriously? (don't mean to draw the attention away from the guy that modded his SM57).....
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search