The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dimmers for the studio? Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
One of these days I'll take some pictures.
Better sooner than Later, Jim.

Let's see some eye candy!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
i said try the cheepos first..i mean it takes all of 2 minutes to wire a light switch

and at around 500 dollars a pop i could find something better to do with 1500-2k if it wasn't absolutley necessary
True, if its that easy,...But usually when a new room is being wired there is no audio gear in the room and if they install a regular dimmers or switch boxes the size will be to small to mount the huge box required for the Varics, and then having to re route the conduit, also they need good ventilation because they get warm

The Staco 501B can be found for under 80$ each

peace,

steve

Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Better sooner than Later, Jim.

Let's see some eye candy!
LOL! hey Jim. Right now it's an ugly mess. I'll try and remember to bring my camera now that they're cleaning it up a bit. All of the demo'd walls have been taken away.
Looks like I'll be replacing ALL of the duct work. That should be pretty as well.

Also, RE:cheapo vs Variac...I understand and appreciate the thinking behind the Home Depot dimmers but I believe the older tried and true will be the path.
I don't have the time or inclination to experiement with dimmers. While the Luxtrols aren't $80. I aslo don't remember them being $500. either. The variac transfomers listed at Mouser are a little over $100. list. I believe these may be similar to the Variacs Steve is suggesting. Somewhere between those and the Luxtrols is where I'm heading. Eliminates the time spent experimenting and all associated time dealing with returns and headaches.

BTW Mike...I spoke with Bruno yesterday. Thanks. Great guy. Looks like Mary and I will be tasting some gelatto shortly
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
True, if its that easy,...But usually when a new room is being wired there is no audio gear in the room and if they install a regular dimmers or switch boxes the size will be to small to mount the huge box required for the Varics, and then having to re route the conduit, also they need good ventilation because they get warm

The Staco 501B can be found for under 80$ each

peace,

steve

that's a good price!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
that's a good price!
I got mine new old stock, on evilbay

Old 29th August 2007
No problems here! I bought regular dimmers Lutron (2) and one wireless and zero noize
I check the ground and polarity on all the electrical lines and sockets....just perfect.
Old 4th September 2007
Congrats!
Ya know I was looking at that auction last week and thought the same thing...the knobs gave it that Pultec look. Good luck with them thumbsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by junya-eskimo View Post
Hey mate

maybe someone posted the same product here before, i just have not got the energy to read em..hehe

I just won this off ebay:

RECORDING STUDIO NO NOISE TRIPLE VARIAC LIGHTING DIMMER - (eBay item 170140640270 end time Aug-26-07 18:00:29 PDT)

got is for $550 and its supposed to be the perfect,,And it looks like some kind of Pultec Eq..so FVCK IT, get it for that...

Mail the company and see if they have more, i am sure they said they have lot for sale...

Good luck mate....let me know if this link does not work well..it should

thanx

JUN
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Maniac

sorry to bump an old topic..
But what the actual good silent dimmers on the marker today?
Thanx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search