The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interface Help before Search
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Interface Help before Search

Hey all!
I fully intend on using the search function rather than belabor those to endless repetition of prior suggestions, but I need help narrowing my search.

I have run a small project studio for 10 years.
I have recently built my own studio building including an excellent sounding main room and mixing room. After attempting to mix and record in the new environment I now can hear the deficiencies of my signal chain quite obviously and it is driving me nuts.

I currently have an older P-3 (WIN 98se) running Samplitude and am really happy with the software. I also have (3) Delta 1010s and a pair of Lucid 24 bit converters (in /out) synched to a Lucid Genx-6 Clock.

I have an ADEQUATE front end (various pres and a Topaz Project 8) and I use the Topaz for monitoring / monitor mixes.

Here is my question(s):
I want to improve my audio interface(s) to be of at least the clarity I hear in the Lucids (possibly better if I can afford it). I can live with 16 channels I/O, I find I never use all 24. I record MAINLY acoustic music or Acoustic / Electric Fusion, and the occasional Rock Band.

I can live with 96K (actually I still record everything at 44.1)
I don't mind older technology as long as it is high quality.

I need a form feature that will work with my computer if possible so I dont HAVE to change it, but it would be nice if the interface type would allow me to eventually upgrade to a newer PC .

Obviously Firewire is out (for now), I know nothing of the multichannel AES/EBU format,little of the ADAT.
I have a friend willing to sell me a Nuendo 96/52 relatively cheap which would give me (3) ADAT lightpipes, but I don't know if then that will limit me to not being able to upgrade to a different O/S should my computer blow.
I am actually satisfied with the Win 98 setup, but I may be missing something unknowingly.

Oh.. and budget.. cheaper (under $2000) is best, but probably no more than $4000.
I could use some ideas to narrow the field. I dont want to re-buy again for a long time.
I have considered the Lucid 8 channel units, but because of my limited knowledge of I/O format strengths/ weaknesses I don't know what to look at in other brands.

Thanks in advance to anyone who makes some helpful suggestions.

Tom
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Im not sure if ive seen anything in a while that would support windows 98. Maybe an old apogee rig, or a pro tools mix system? Those were at one point the defacto standard, and can be found on ebay for pennies of what they orignally sold for.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

That is my dilemma.
I guess I have HOPES of finding high quality stuff that will at least allow me 5-6 years of recording before upgrades.
I am fully satisfied with a working recording rig that sounds excellent but may not be "cutting edge". I am not a techno-geek, I am simply a recording musician who loves to hear pristine full depth of sound field recordings.
I know ultimately as my ears improve so will my need to upgrade.

I want to upgrade my existing older (original Alesis monitor 1s) monitors to something like Adam A7s in the following months as well. They sound horrid, but I had learned to mix on them in my old environment, to where the mixes translated well. Now in the new environment... all is lost! I am having to start all over! NOTHING sounds like it used to... but that is a good thing really.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

bump?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search