The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Important details to have and not to have in a productive office? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Important details to have and not to have in a productive office?

In order to better cope with the huge list of project tasks on my agenda for my new recording business solution I need to place myself in the right context to support my production model, I need to know what things to have and not to have in such a context. So I need to create a supportive business and production environment where I sit and work, I guess it's called Office... fuuck The aim with it is of course to support maximum productivity rate. What are important details in such an environment in terms of material resources? Here is my list so far:

- Good air conditioning and room temperature
- Good coffee, coffee machine and coffee tablets
- Business TV News
- Available office material
- Internet connection (of course)
- Some kind of business suitecase
- Business clothing
- Fruits
- Library
- Computer/laptop
- Conference hall or table
- Printer
- Coffee tablets
- Calendars/timetables and clocks
- Contact information
- Additional office computers/workspaces
- Flowers and plants
- Business inspired art on the walls
- Visible money and credit cards
- Encyclopedias/wikipedias (dedicated office computer?!)
???

Things to avoid:

- Couch or bed
- Additional chairs
- Game consoles
- A messy environment
- Beer

Please add to the lists!!!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

fun ?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
fun ?
Noooooooooo It has nothing to do with fun, in fact fun is not even related to it!

But seriously, fun is not a thing, it's more a state of mind, it's what it feels like when things work in the productive office, okaaaay?
Old 24th August 2007
I just visited Google's UK office today...that's a fun office...although I think I've put my shoulder out playing Wii tennis.....
Old 24th August 2007
1) A commanding view - look out over the city while you think or talk on the phone. Even when in a utility company hold loop this can be inspirational.
2) More coffee - espresso - lots of it, just not enough to make your teeth chatter.
3) Aeron chair - 'ventilate' through that mesh!
4) Executive toy (silent) - an alternative 'something' spellbinding to stare at (apart from the sprawling metropolis visible from your window) when on the phone with boring people.
5) 85% coco chocolate - two squares after lunch every day
6) Ionizer - get that next to a waterfall, brain food air quality - keeps you sharp, (but might make you nads fall off in 10 years time, the jury is still out on the health risks so beware / do your research and it makes the room smell like a swimming pool or 'fresh' depending on your viewpoint)
7) In box & Out box
8) Filing system
7) Cradle for your PDA to sync with your office computer - so you have all your contacts and calendar info with you at all times.
8) IPhone
9) Framed poster of someone attractive washing a Ferrari with a soapy sponge.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds like you are on your way to opening a fantastic insurance salesman's office.
Old 24th August 2007
Attached Thumbnails
Important details to have and not to have in a productive office?-43.jpg  
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
1) A commanding view - look out over the city while you think or talk on the phone. Even when in a utility company hold loop this can be inspirational.
2) More coffee - espresso - lots of it, just not enough to make your teeth chatter.
3) Aeron chair - 'ventilate' through that mesh!
4) Executive toy (silent) - an alternative 'something' spellbinding to stare at (apart from the sprawling metropolis visible from your window) when on the phone with boring people.
5) 85% coco chocolate - two squares after lunch every day
6) Ionizer - get that next to a waterfall, brain food air quality - keeps you sharp, (but might make you nads fall off in 10 years time, the jury is still out on the health risks so beware / do your research and it makes the room smell like a swimming pool or 'fresh' depending on your viewpoint)
7) In box & Out box
8) Filing system
7) Cradle for your PDA to sync with your office computer - so you have all your contacts and calendar info with you at all times.
8) IPhone
9) Framed poster of someone attractive washing a Ferrari with a soapy sponge.
Nice! I realise now it has a lot to do with energy and motivation, getting enough rest is critical, but having all these objects in the office might keep you alert. I need to do less, but what I do should be done and in a high qyality fashion, so I guess the environment should reflect that, simple and powerful!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I know a lot of places which are loaded with those gimmicks. Their productivity is close to zero. Ok, there are some which are equipped real professional as well and do great stuff. I prefer places with a vibe, if i wanna see a office, i go to the bank

But everybodys free to do what he wants, of course ... good luck !
Old 25th August 2007
A little teeny box of sand and teeny-tiny rake.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have now come to realise that the light in the room plays a critical role for being productive. Daylight is of course the best possible light, but medium light spotlights are very good as well. The key here is that the lights don't blend, blending lights tend to make you frustrated.

So light is very important. Plants also seem to do a nice job. Their green leaves tend to make the room more dynamic.

Here is a top list of great objects in an office:

1. Air
2. Light
3. Chair+desk
4. Plants

That's all for now, keep growing!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search