The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avril: ITB vs OTB DAW Software
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
OK, just read the first three or four page & my eyes glazed over.

Y'all are nuts.

Comparing two completely different recordings and discussing ITB vs. OTB is like driving a red Porsche and a black Ferrari on two different roads and discussing which paint color is best for handling in the corners.
Obviously RED.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
The Shore (according to AllMusic) was done by Grant Conway. It DOES sound really nicethumbsup

What's BMRC?
no people, I mean bmrc 'black mebel rotorcycle club' haha...oops. BRMC is what I meant.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

"All these people who spend their time comparing analogue with digital, they have too much time on their hands"

Tom Lord-Alge in an interview in Sound on sound magazine.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
no people, I mean bmrc 'black mebel rotorcycle club' haha...oops. BRMC is what I meant.
Ah, those guys! I've got that song Berlin stuck in my head. Great sounding stuff - who cares what box it was done with (that Rick Parker guy does nice work)
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

My wife likes my mixes best.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My wife likes my mixes best.

Is that when your ITB or OTB

In the bed or out the bed...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
So now you're an ignorant post graduate?
I don't understand... I've obtained my M.A in 1997 and I haven't been lobotomised since.
if you're not aware that the systematic "moronisation" of the general public is a reality then I don't know who's the most naive.
Perhaps you could write a paper on it.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
"All these people who spend their time comparing analogue with digital, they have too much time on their hands"

Tom Lord-Alge in an interview in Sound on sound magazine.
Probably true, but who cares what Tom Lord Alge thinks, or has time to waste reading Sound On Sound?

Chris Lord Alge recently said:

"mixing 'in the box' is still irrelevant"

"I have camped in front of an E-series SSL since it came out in 1985...I have not found anything better"

The vast array of outboard gear in Lord-Alge's Resonate room is explained by his assertion that "hardware effects still sound significantly better than plug-ins..."
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post

..... (snip).....

Chris Lord Alge recently said:

..... (snip).....

"I have camped in front of an E-series SSL since it came out in 1985...I have not found anything better"

The vast array of outboard gear in Lord-Alge's Resonate room is explained by his assertion that "hardware effects still sound significantly better than plug-ins..."
heh
Old 30th August 2007

holy moly, i can't believe this thread is still rollin'

(well......i guess i shouldn't be surprised).

you guys are nuts, and, obviously, very bored....heh

aren't we all.....(nuts, and bored, that is)..

in the box, out the box, under the box, around the side of the box......

i know, maybe we should all get together and do something USEFUL,

like solve world hunger, or sumthin'????

Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

holy moly, i can't believe this thread is still rollin'

(well......i guess i shouldn't be surprised).

you guys are nuts, and, obviously, very bored....heh

aren't we all.....(nuts, and bored, that is)..

in the box, out the box, under the box, around the side of the box......

I'm addicted to this thread like heroin. I can't explain it. I think it's the systematic "moronisation" or something....
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm addicted to this thread like heroin. I can't explain it. I think it's the systematic "moronisation" or something....
Avril Lavigne + modern pop mixing = Fast Food Culture

Listening to those 2 krappi mixes is like having a burger from Macdonalds.

It tastes good at the time, it 'hits' the spot, but it's still a bit sickly... One is fine every now and again.

But to eat/listen to that Sh*t every day.

I would not be surprised if some kid dosen't sue the record companies in a class action sometime down the line for ruining their hearing with that compressed, saturated, over limited, highly salted mix mush madness.

Defence: "Your honour they could have just turned it down"

Prosecution: "I protest your honour, my clients are complete Idiots and don't know how"

Judge: "Why's that"?

Prosecution: "Because they suffer from the 'Sytematic Moronisation Syndrome' perpetrated by the Record Comapanies.

Play On.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

All I got ta add ta this fellas is that chick seems like a whiney, spoiled brat from Canada. I remmember hearing her wine about stuff on MTV like a little kid. She thought she was so punk, that kid is a poser both then and now. I can not stand her stuff, I can't believe that people by that ****!

MC Blind
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

hardware vs. plugins.

Its the man/women using them that is more important. Both are proven to work. Use what you like/have access to. Why does it always have to be debated? If ever there was something that is a waste of time to argue, it is Analog vs. Digital. I use both and like both. Why would anyone care?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
hardware vs. plugins.

Its the man/women using them that is more important. Both are proven to work. Use what you like/have access to. Why does it always have to be debated? If ever there was something that is a waste of time to argue, it is Analog vs. Digital. I use both and like both. Why would anyone care?

Are you trying to say that the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you might not be right for some?

Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
hardware vs. plugins.

Oh boy, I'm going to post again!

The thing is....it's not a debate. Not really. The only people debating (sort of) are the people who keep insisting it doesn't matter or it shouldn't matter (it's amazing how many people keep saying this).

But what do you care if I care?

If I prefer something, isn't that cool with you? Why not?

The thread, the whole listening and comparing, is to do just that, listen and compare, and everyone is free to take from it what they like. What's the big deal? Why is that a crime?

Thanks, btw, for feeding my habit...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

There always have been and always will be people complaining about commercial music and saying how it has gone downhill, etc etc.

When the songs that are now considered classics were coming out, there were plenty of people saying how bad they were and how it's part of the decline of music, etc etc.

And in the future people will likely be referring to how great Avril recordings and mixes were compared to modern ones. It's an endless cycle and virtually impossible to have a conversation about audio without peopel complaining about music.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
hardware vs. plugins.

Exactlythumbsup
..lets put this **** to bed
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Exactlythumbsup
..lets put this **** to bed
Put that on everything
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I understand why I click on this thread and post....it's my heroin.

I don't get why people who don't care and want to put this **** to bed would click and post. All you're doing is keeping this **** awake.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Seems like the rest of the world was doing Avril comparison before Gearslutz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZkB8B3FuHs
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've heard a bit of the Crowded House. I think a "blind" test like this one (not that this one was blind) with that album might prove difficult if guessing is what it's all about or if guessing means anything at all.

The name of the album is Time On Earth. There are three different mixers...Tchad Blake, Steve Lillywhite, and Ethan Johns.

I think the Tchad mixes sound pretty nice, certainly as nice as the others, although I didn't listen all that critically, but it certainly wasn't like the Tchad mixes jumped out as being worse, although they are a little different.
I am a huge Tchad Blake fan and dig crowded house so it was cool to listen to them. Tchad's mixes easily hold up to the other mixes on the album, but then I spent some time comparing them to some of Tchad's older mixes pre ITB (probably API) and let me just say that it was enlightening. It made me remember why I became such a big fan of Tchad as a mixer in the first place.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyer Maker View Post
I am a huge Tchad Blake fan and dig crowded house so it was cool to listen to them. Tchad's mixes easily hold up to the other mixes on the album, but then I spent some time comparing them to some of Tchad's older mixes pre ITB (probably API) and let me just say that it was enlightening. It made me remember why I became such a big fan of Tchad as a mixer in the first place.
I was going to compare it to the Sheryl Crow album he did OTB (The Globe Sessions, I believe) because one of the Crowded House songs he did ("Nobody Wants To") reminded me very much of her sound. Haven't got around to it yet.

Of course, that's different songs and different artists but now the same mixer!! Still, I think it might be interesting...

What did you find enlightening?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
hardware vs. plugins.

ok so let us not get confused

hardware = a hardware compressor or EQ or reverb, right? (the way the term is most commonly used here....)

plugins = plugins

analog = not digital, but it could be analog hardware, an analog console.... you get my drift... analog anything.

digital could be a DAW, a 3348 tape machine, a DAT machine..... the list goes on...

digital does not = a plugin necessarily

right?

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

good point mixer guy!

digital outboard from daniel weiss are the **** for example!

and also the facts of an ITB production have to be cleared!

I heard a production from a guy some weeks ago and was really astonished because I never heard something like that completely done ITB. Completely? Mhh..., actually he used the pluggies for rough mixing. after that he used external EQs and Comps for the important tracks and for the buss of course.

Productions that are glued with fine outboard can soud great ITB and OTB in my opinion.

But a producton tracked with nothing but an interface and it's internal micpres, plus some plugins will not give you the same!

Perhaps a real freak can do something real great with such an setup.

So far I only heard promises from people who said they can do that, but I always was disappointed with the stuff they ended up with.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

for those who may have missed it through all the white noise, Indie and Roundbadge have both pointed out some really fine "ITB" work - guys really kicking ass with a computer. Thanks guys - very inspiring stuff.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

juniorhifikit: do you mean real ITB productios? no outboard! then please give me a link!

DyerMaker: thanks for the link! Didn't know that Avril "Miss I love to show my middlefinger" Lavigne is the daughter of the thief of bagdad! heh heh heh
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Just to help perpetuate this thread; hardware and plug-ins.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
juniorhifikit: do you mean real ITB productios? no outboard! then please give me a link!
read back through the thread...

Indie has done some hot-**** mixing on a freaking laptop, and he mentions Rick Parker's work as well.

There's good nuggets of info all over these "ITB threads" - ya just gotta do the research.

FWIW, I think I coined the phrase "In The Box" on this thread from 2002 - sorry I ever mentioned it:

DUC: hits mixed "In The Box"?

Anybody find an earlier reference?
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
I understand why I click on this thread and post....it's my heroin.

I don't get why people who don't care and want to put this **** to bed would click and post. All you're doing is keeping this **** awake.
Probably the Same reason you are...Boredom and Drugs man.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search