The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
8x preamp suggestion Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

8x preamp suggestion

I'm trying to finish up a live tracking setup with an HD24. I want to find 24 channels of input preamps, preferably 1u each. Of course I'd love the best money can buy, but this is a hobby setup, so I'm price sensitive.

I've looked at the Digimax, MOTU pre8, m-audio, Mackie and Behringers. I want something even simpler.

I'm happy enough with the converters on the HD24. What I'd like is a preamps with analogue out - just a gain control and phantom - eight to a strip. Anyone know of anything worthwhile and affordable? Something more affordable than the Millenia HD3V.

Even a DIY project is worthwhile thinking of. If there is a schematic somewhere that will give me a clean signal in...
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

The SM Pro Audio PR8E with the blacklionaudio.com mod. It will kick the living crap out of all sub 1k 8 channel pre boxes.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

maybe above budget : the new focusrite 828 (without digital card) = 1700£
Old 24th August 2007
Get a SCA chassis with c84's if you want clean won't cost you much. That is 8 channels a chassis
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks. The SCA stuff looks cool. I remember seeing it before, last year, maybe. Little pricier than what I was looking for - getting up towards $2000 CAD per 8 with chassis and PS.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I think I'm going to get three SM PR8Es and send them off to Black Lion. Liiks like I can do thew whole shot for about $1500. Then I'm going to screen new faces for the preamps so people don't make fun of me.

As the Black Lion mod documented/reversed engineered anywhere, that it can be DIY? I've seen a few pages that suggest partial mods, but no complete mod.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

They black out the components they change it with, so you can't reverse engineer it. It sounds to me like they aren't using the creme de la creme chips, but the units sound good, much better than what they suggest on prodigy-pro.
Old 27th August 2007
Audient ASP008
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
Audient ASP008
+1.

Are you recording 24 tracks at once? Or more than 4?
I'd go for an API 3214 or a lunchbox and a few 512c's and grow as you go along.

You can do more with 4 API preamps than you can do with 24 of the budget pre's.
A kick, snare and pair of overheads (earthworks) with 4 api pre's will probably sound better than putting more mics on a kit and tracking through semipro preamps.
You will get your money back on them as well unlike the cheap stuff.

Just my 2c.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

if anyone in europe is interested in a API 3124+ i can get them for 2499€
new and unpacked offcourse
(i plan on getting one for myself next month or so)

grtz,

wim
Old 27th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
if anyone in europe is interested in a API 3124+ i can get them for 2499€
new and unpacked offcourse
(i plan on getting one for myself next month or so)

grtz,

wim
2499 + tax => more then normal listprice...

erm..

:D

wrong forum btw..
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

sorry for the wrong forum,
i just got my price in my email so i replied without thinking ...
tva ( or BTW as it is called here) is included ...
i should have posted : api for belgium
normal price here is at least 2800€ i thought

grtz,
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Check out the ATI 8 channel pre. It's a mixer as well and 1ru!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

I think I'll be selling my Trues Systems Precicion 8 in a month or so. I'm having a desk rebuilt and I'll use the pres in that. So the Precision 8 won't be getting much use. It's been great for extra pres during large tracking sessions as well as getting occasional use when I'd track a live show somewhere. It's a great sounding, clean, simple box. 8 mic pres, 2 have line/instrument inputs as well as a M/S decoder.

Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

"Are you recording 24 tracks at once? Or more than 4?
I'd go for an API 3214 or a lunchbox and a few 512c's and grow as you go along."

This is for 24 tracks at once. Live recording setup.

I have a few good preamps for studio stuff when I only need to track four or five channels at once, or I use my console.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

"Check out the ATI 8 channel pre. It's a mixer as well and 1ru!"

Looks lovely; however, we are back up to $10,000 for 24 channels. I'm looking for the best solution under $2500. This is just a hobby for me.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

For a straight 8 channel analog pre on a budget, check out the Yamaha MLA8.

$600 apiece and has the same pres as the DM2000 console.
Old 27th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
I think I'll be selling my Trues Systems Precicion 8 in a month or so.

This is the way to go IMO...it's the least expensive, but still 'pro' option that I've heard.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
This is the way to go IMO...it's the least expensive, but still 'pro' option that I've heard.
Hes right. This does slay the black lion modded PR8E for sure. They are like 2 k though.
Old 27th August 2007
24 tracks in at the same time is quite a bit. I'm configuring a "pro" mobile system right now, and although it will have 24 channels of a/d. It will have 18 standard pres, with a a separate +6 for larger gigs.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Any other opinions on the Yamaha MLA8? I've not used the DM2000 before.

Modded SM PRO or Yamaha MLA8? Ends up being close to the same price per unit.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Oh, I know BL usually blacks out the values of replaced components.

Came across this: Black Lion Audio Modified PR8E Microphone Preamplifier - (eBay item 180132820251 end time Jul-01-07 18:00:00 PDT)

Lists the mods as

"In the Preamp stage, the original "New Japan Radio JRC4558D" chip has been replaced by "National Semiconductor LM6172IN". (The price difference on that component alone is $0.45 versus $3.50.)

The output stage has swapped the original "New Japan Radio JRC4558D" chip for a "Texas Instruments NE5532AP".

Transistors were added in parallel (see pictures), capacitors changed out for higher valued parts, etc. "

Look about right?
Old 29th August 2007
MsM
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
Audient ASP008
+1!

Has variable HPFs, quite handy.

Btw: Do you need ALL 24 channels to be of the same type/quality? Would it make sense to differentiate, and then later maybe upgrade the "lesser" group(s) of 8?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi,
what about the RME Octamic? It's about 700,- EUR for 8 channels. The standard version also has a D-Sub connector, so you can split the signal.
Claus
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Hes right. This does slay the black lion modded PR8E for sure. They are like 2 k though.

Yeah but for whatever reason the resale on them isn't great so you can get one for about 1500 or so. I bought mine with a channel out for around $650. I agree though, great preamp, very clean and detailed. Build quality is very nice too.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
I'm trying to finish up a live tracking setup with an HD24. I want to find 24 channels of input preamps, preferably 1u each. Of course I'd love the best money can buy, but this is a hobby setup, so I'm price sensitive.

I've looked at the Digimax, MOTU pre8, m-audio, Mackie and Behringers. I want something even simpler.

I'm happy enough with the converters on the HD24. What I'd like is a preamps with analogue out - just a gain control and phantom - eight to a strip. Anyone know of anything worthwhile and affordable? Something more affordable than the Millenia HD3V.

Even a DIY project is worthwhile thinking of. If there is a schematic somewhere that will give me a clean signal in...
If you're interested, I'm selling a Behringer ADA8000 and Presonus Digimax FS in the "Second Hand" section of GS.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

"Btw: Do you need ALL 24 channels to be of the same type/quality? Would it make sense to differentiate, and then later maybe upgrade the "lesser" group(s) of 8?"

Well, what I want to do is just get 24 channels up and running at a respectable quality right now, then start replacing at least 16 channels with really good pieces. I'd really like to get at least one Millenia HD3V. But, I want this rig to work for it - and I know someone will say "But a <insert preamp> will pay for itself!" - but you don't know the budget projects I do

I don't like to go in debt for hobby gear. So yeah, I agree and am actually all for assorted preamps, but this is a stop gap measure.

Next step will probably be some SCA pres.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Oh, I know BL usually blacks out the values of replaced components.

Came across this: Black Lion Audio Modified PR8E Microphone Preamplifier - (eBay item 180132820251 end time Jul-01-07 18:00:00 PDT)

Lists the mods as

"In the Preamp stage, the original "New Japan Radio JRC4558D" chip has been replaced by "National Semiconductor LM6172IN". (The price difference on that component alone is $0.45 versus $3.50.)

The output stage has swapped the original "New Japan Radio JRC4558D" chip for a "Texas Instruments NE5532AP".

Transistors were added in parallel (see pictures), capacitors changed out for higher valued parts, etc. "

Look about right?
Aha! There was a 5532 in there somewhere, I thought so.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

If you can wait another two weeks, you might be interested in this:

This is our latest kit, the T15, based on the very nice THAT Corp 1512 and 1646 parts. Some features include slow-ramping +48V, LC input filtering, gain to 70dB in 5 dB steps, Neutrik XLRs in and out, on-board regulators, and polypropylene input capacitors. Output level at 1% distortion is +29dBu, -3dB bandwidth is better than 130KHz, and 1KHz distortion is less than 0.05% at 40dB gain into a 600 ohm load. You'll be able to build 8 for just about $1K, chassis and power supply included. Any questions, please let me know. We'll do a proper product announcement next week.
Old 31st August 2007

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search