The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
8x preamp suggestion Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

You may want to try this D.A.V. electronics - The Broadhurst Gardens No. 8 Mic Amp I have the Dav BG-1 and it really sounds good. 8 channels would be awesome.
Old 31st August 2007
If you're not wedded to those kind of specs, and can drop a few zeroes (and many zeroes off of the price) you might want to investigate the new ART Tubefire8.

I've just recently begun to use it in earnest, and I will say this--whatever kind of "poor relation" kind of performance you might expect from the venerable ART name, forget all about it. This baby sounds immaculately clean and not just that--the way they've set up the tube saturation (if you like that kinda thing, and you don't have to use it if you don't want to) you can dial in a really nice tube driven "enhancement" at will. What it does to acoustic guitar is thrilling. And I'm not easy thrilled!

Also it has firewire connectability, imagine, what a co-incidence.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
If you're not wedded to those kind of specs, and can drop a few zeroes (and many zeroes off of the price) you might want to investigate the new ART Tubefire8.
Huh. It does exactly what I want it to do with rear panel connections to boot. I've never been big on ganged phantom switching, though. I think I'll try one of those out and report back.

And with the firewire connection, I can set up a redundancy recorder/monitoring station on a laptop DAW. Right now I do it with 24 channels of lightpipe out of the HD24 into a M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge.

Little bit of gaffer tape over the ART logo...

Did you keep the factory tubes (which i assume are cheap chinese tubes), or replace them?
Old 31st August 2007
I'm using it just as is, out of the box. The logo is VERY small, if that's a plus.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

hey there..

have a similar setup..i use 2 r.m.e. octapre's with the ff800, gives me 20 preamps into my pc...3 things to watch out for...
1)....not sure if ther all the same but my r.m.e.'s have 10db of gain when (suposedly) switched off...can be a pain if your taking direct outs from a live desk and his pre's are driving too hard.

2) with the r.m.e.'s you cant send the signal back out the octapre's if you want to send the signals too a desk/summing mixer....whats that about..no adat in!!!!.....stupid!!!!!..

3) if you want to record higher than 48k you have to lose some of the channels..(in a live setup)

tris...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
You may want to try this D.A.V. electronics - The Broadhurst Gardens No. 8 Mic Amp I have the Dav BG-1 and it really sounds good. 8 channels would be awesome.
Indeed. I must ASAP upgrade my BG1 to BG2. I need to sell my RNP first. And hopefully I will have the BG8 at some point...

I'm currently recording a metal band and so far and my BG1 has been playing a major role in the signal chain. I wish I just had more DAV.
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

Sm Pro

Please excuse me becoming a pimp. I am selling my Black LIon Sm Pro 8 if anyone is looking to save a couple bucks. I have my reciept to prove it's modded by them. 350 obo
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Well, I ordered one. $600 CAD.

I was told that the ART Tube MPs tend to really start colouring the sound when pushed hard, but with moderate levels sound pretty articulate. These units are, I believe, the TubeMP circuit.

I have some good tubes at home -- some telefunkens and sylvanias. I think they are 12AX7s. I'll do some a/b among the channels. I doubt one could bias the unit for other tubes.

I'm sick of every piece of gear having "fire" in the name, though. There must be two or three dozen interfaces called fire-something.

At least MOTU doesn't follow the pack in this way. They should go with 'Earth' or 'Wind' or something.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search