The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying a 2nd mic non matched? Condenser Microphones
Old 24th August 2007
Buying a 2nd mic non matched?

So I got a Rode NT1A, I like how it sounds, some times I think it would be cool to have a 2nd one for stereo acoustic guitar recording, but if I buy another one they would not be matched. How big of a deal is this? Any advice would be cool.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
So I got a Rode NT1A, I like how it sounds, some times I think it would be cool to have a 2nd one for stereo acoustic guitar recording, but if I buy another one they would not be matched. How big of a deal is this? Any advice would be cool.

stereo acoustic with 2 mics? just record two takes and pan hard left and hard right.

If i was going to use 2 mics on an acoustic i wouldn't go LR, i would prob use two different mics and blend them to make one sound... then do a 2nd take

if oyu like the nt1a get another always handy for overheads etc. they don't need to be matched.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think matching mic's is a bit of a crock for most music applications. If you are looking for a wide stereo spread, some subtle variations between two similar mic's is not a bad thing. Obviously you don't want faults or major differences - try before you buy.

The NT4 intrigues me ..
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

I called Rode once to ask them this very question. They told me that they kep the specs so close and did such good QC that they were basically matched. It may of been manufacturer BS but he told me that I would not be able to tell a difference. Buy another one, test it out for a few days, and if it isnt close enough send it back, simple as that.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

i have two ears that hear things differently from one another, so why should i care if two microphones i'm using aren't exact duplicates?

take it one step further and buy a DIFFERENT, BETTER microphone to pair with your other kaka one. i use two different mics for stereo recordings of a single source all the time. the only people that freak about it are the saps who aren't even listening to the tracks.
Old 25th August 2007
I think I am going to save up for some Oktava's MK-012's.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

i've used a shure 57 and a blue kiwi in a stereo recording config. While the 57 did the close mic'ing and the Kiwi more of the ambience, i doubt anyone would actaully notice they weren't "matched".

Later,

Todd
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I hate to be "that guy", but are you saying that if you panned the 57 left, and the Blue right, that no one would notice the difference in the stereo field, nor a difference in tone?
But back to the original question, it is quite possible to get a 2nd mic that is dangerously close in sound to your Rode.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I hate to be "that guy", but are you saying that if you panned the 57 left, and the Blue right, that no one would notice the difference in the stereo field, nor a difference in tone?
But back to the original question, it is quite possible to get a 2nd mic that is dangerously close in sound to your Rode.
Maybe under clinical conditions, but it's questionable in a full pop/rock mix that it would even be noticed.

Later,

Todd

(Edit) Just attempting to put the whole "matched" mic pair thing into proper perspective. Of course there are cases where it shouldn't be questioned that the two mics be fairly equal. From this empirical data i have concluded that i, myslef, would never need two completely matched mics for any stereo recording. Two of the same make should be close enough. Unless they're hand wound by monkeys, that is.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search